What's that Fused doing?

Lightspine

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

We have seen Jasnah use it. And it looked like an oath gate, not like what the Fused did. I fully agree, this is not Transportation.

I am leaving this out for arguments saying that this type of transportation is elsecaller specific. The argument is just that assuming transportation involves some sort of realmatic transition, whatever form that may take, because that is literally all we know about the surge, I don't think we can say that the Fused is using transportation. There is no transition of any kind, as the body is left behind, and the cognitive aspect is always seen in the physical realm.

3 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Envoyform and Stormform both do not use Voidlight. This Singer does. 

That would be extremely surprising. How else did they power thousands of Stormform in the middle of the Weeping while their gem stones are uncut and hence inferior?

13 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

That would be extremely surprising. How else did they power thousands of Stormform in the middle of the Weeping while their gem stones are uncut and hence inferior?

Those guys are described as using a glowing red light. Not sure where they get the investure, but I suspect that each stormform singer is only weakly invested by the stormspren or whatever it is. Their red glow certainly isn't that of voidlight.

As for forms of power mimicking surges, I believe that was specifically smokeform:

Smokeform for hiding and slipping between men.
A form of power, like human Surges.
Bring it 'round again.
Though crafted of gods,
It was by Unmade hand.
Leaves its force to be but one of foe or friend.

—127th stanza of the Song of Histories[19]

Smokeform for hiding and slipping 'tween men.
A form of power—like Surges of spren
Do we dare to wear this form again? It spies.
Crafted of gods, this form we fear.
By Unmade touch its curse to bear,
Formed from shadow—and death is near. It lies. 

—51st stanza of the Song of Secrets[20]

I think it is heavily implied by the mention of the Unmade that this was the form granted to the Listeners by Ba Ado Mishram. We know from the Oathbringer epigraphs that:

"Ba-Ado-Mishram has somehow Connected with the parsh people, as Odium once did. She provides Voidlight and facilitates forms of power. Our strike team is going to imprison her."

So, by my interpretation, Smokeform requires voidlight to produce surge-like powers and it is granted by Connection with Ba Ado Mishram. This Connection was also necessary to access voidlight.

This also implies that either Odium or one of the Unmade must Connect with the singers in order to provide them with voidlight. The only part of this which confuses me is the "as Odium once did." This was written during the False Desolation, so it could mean that Odium provides voidlight for singers during true Desolations. Perhaps some forms of power do require voidlight. Stormform, however, seems not to.

5 hours ago, Lightspine said:

Those guys are described as using a glowing red light. Not sure where they get the investure, but I suspect that each stormform singer is only weakly invested by the stormspren or whatever it is. Their red glow certainly isn't that of voidlight.

Or that is a result of them being calling the Everstorm. Do we really want to introduce yet another form of Investiture into Roshar?

As for forms of power mimicking surges, I believe that was specifically smokeform:

It is mentioned in connection with smokeform, however, it is called one among several forms of power.

This also implies that either Odium or one of the Unmade must Connect with the singers in order to provide them with voidlight. The only part of this which confuses me is the "as Odium once did." This was written during the False Desolation, so it could mean that Odium provides voidlight for singers during true Desolations. Perhaps some forms of power do require voidlight. Stormform, however, seems not to.

Taln had returned. Technically the Desolation had started. Why not take the simple explanation that Odium has alreadty been able to open the taps of Voidlight?

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Or that is a result of them being calling the Everstorm. Do we really want to introduce yet another form of Investiture into Roshar?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I just don't think the visual evidence points towards voidlight usage here, so I always assumed they have some sort of innate investure from the spren. In addition, we see both Eshonai and Venli's perspectives and they never seem to notice anything of that sort. But you make a good point that this might be adding unnecessary complexity.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Taln had returned. Technically the Desolation had started. Why not take the simple explanation that Odium has alreadty been able to open the taps of Voidlight?

Fair enough, this definitely makes it possible.