Dead Shardblade Orders

Impact

Do we have a list of what dead shardblades are expected to belong to what order, based on description?  I thought it would be a cool exercise.

Here's what I have based on what is known or suspected

Mayalaran - Edgedancer (known)

Firestorm - Dustbringer (suspected due to flamelike design)

Moash's blade - Edgedancer (suspected due to vine design) [See below]

Sunraiser - Windrunner (suspected due to the ten radiant glyphs following a "leadership" theme)

Edits:

Moash's blade - Stoneward because his eyes turned tan

Oathbringer - Stoneward (WoB)

Eshonai's Blade - Possibly Dustbringer - flamelike design

Heleran's Blade - Possibly Willshaper based on description

Any other guesses?

Edited by Impact

Oathbringer is a Stoneward blade:

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's just me hearing what I wanted to hear, not what was actually asked. It happens more often than I'd like; I get into this groove of answering questions, and start answering what I'm thinking about rather than what actually gets asked. A lot of times, I'm expecting a question (often because it's one that gets asked a lot, like what are Shardblades made out of) and my brain defaults to the answer I've prepared. I think it might be because I've trained myself to answer questions while doing other things.

Oathbringer's not an Honorblade. It was a Stoneward's blade a long time ago, with the corresponding spren.

21 minutes ago, RShara said:

Moash's eyes turned a pale tan, didn't they? So it should be a Stoneward blade.

That isn't based on the holder's original eye color? I assumed he just had dark brown.  And when someone's eyes turn blue they had dark dark blue.  

Argent

When a Surgebinder's eye color changes when they Surgebind or have a Blade [out], is the color of their eyes corresponding to their Order? So Windrunners would do blue, and then--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. 

Argent

So each Order gets a different eye color?

Brandon Sanderson

Each Order does indeed have an eye color representation.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

5 minutes ago, Impact said:

@Quantus @RShara

Is that just for surgebinders and live shardblades, or all of them?

As far as I can tell, both.  But I dont think we have an example on-stage to prove it yet.    

Darkness (paraphrased)

When a darkeyed person obtains a Shardblade. Does their new eye color reflect the specific type of blade they bonded?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Supanova 2017 - Sydney (June 16, 2017)

Just now, Impact said:

That WOB looks pretty convincing

There's a tiny bit of wriggle-room in that it's specific about Darkeyes, so from this we couldnt say whether somebody that is already Lighteyes might have their eye-color changed without actually being lightened.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

There's a tiny bit of wriggle-room in that it's specific about Darkeyes, so from this we couldnt say whether somebody that is already Lighteyes might have their eye-color changed without actually being lightened.

That's true.  They do never mention lighteyes changing colors.  Maybe there is something about them not

Like, did Dalinar and Shallan's eyes change to yellow and purple?

Edited by Impact

7 hours ago, Quantus said:

7 hours ago, Impact said:

That's true.  They do never mention lighteyes changing colors.  Maybe there is something about them not

Like, did Dalinar and Shallan's eyes change to yellow and purple?

We know that they don't. Shallan's eyes are still blue. Basically, the portion of the spiritweb that's responsible for eye color can only be changed once.

Questioner

My question has to do with the color of Shallan's eyes currently, because we've noticed over the books that Kaladin's eyes, as he's continued to use his Surge, changed to lighter and lighter blue. Whereas one could argue that Shallan is farther in her Ideals than Kaladin is, yet her eyes have not changed at all.

Brandon Sanderson

Right, 'cause they were already light.

Questioner

'Cause they were already light? So it only affects lightness or darkness in the eyes, not necessarily any other color?

Brandon Sanderson

It's not like it is-- It's not like it's saying "Light minus 50%".

Questioner

It's not like Honor is blue and--

Brandon Sanderson

No. It is not. It is just kind of the way that the changes the Stormlight is making the body and certain people are already descended from people who had repeated, over time, changes by the body which stopped physically... That's not to say that all lighteyes that's where they came from. There are some that are natural mutations.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

16 hours ago, RShara said:

We know that they don't. Shallan's eyes are still blue. Basically, the portion of the spiritweb that's responsible for eye color can only be changed once.

Sweet! Thanks, Im going to have to stare at this one for a while.  Im still trying to work out what the realmic significance of Color actually is, and supposedly the eye color thing and color's role in Awakening are connected. 

Edited by Quantus

16 hours ago, RShara said:

39 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Sweet! Thanks, Im going to have to stare at this one for a while.  Im still trying to work out what the realmic significance of Color actually it, and supposedly the eye color thing and color's role in Awakening are connected. 

That's definitely weird to wrap my head around, but makes sense.  I didn't think they did. but I couldn't remember.  

Back to the original premise!  Any ideas about other shardblades?

Here's the complete list of Blades we know about, but details are few:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shardblade#Known_Shardbearers

Id guess Eshonai's "Flame-like" blade is a dustbringer.  

The only other one I think we can make a guess on is the one Kaladin "won" back in Amaram's Army.  For that one Im guessing it's a Willshaper, simply because it sounds almost exactly like Willshaper blade in the new official artwork: "Thick, curved, one edge in shape of flames or ripples, a gem stone set at the pommel. Etchings all along its surface."

Edited by Quantus

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Here's the complete list of Blades we know about, but details are few:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shardblade#Known_Shardbearers

Id guess Eshonai's "Flame-like" blade is a dustbringer.  

The only other one I think we can make a guess on is the one Kaladin "won" back in Amaram's Army.  For that one Im guessing it's a Willshaper, simply because it sounds almost exactly like Willshaper blade in the new official artwork: "Thick, curved, one edge in shape of flames or ripples, a gem stone set at the pommel. Etchings all along its surface."

I was using that list to try and figure it out originally.  But those are good thoughts. Going on the list

28 minutes ago, Impact said:

I was using that list to try and figure it out originally.  But those are good thoughts. Going on the list

You have it backwards on the list: Eshonai's is the Flame-like blade, and Heleran's Blade is the one that sounds like the Willshaper one from the picture.  

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

You have it backwards on the list: Eshonai's is the Flame-like blade, and Heleran's Blade is the one that sounds like the Willshaper one from the picture.  

Whoops!  brain fart.  good catch

1 hour ago, rosin_the_beau said:

I know that Jezrien's Honor blade has a sapphire, and Noah's shardblade has a heliodor. 

I don't have the book in front of me but isn't there a scene in Oathbringer where Dalinar is hiding the Jezrien's Honor Blade in the piping of Urithiru and remarks that it doesn't have a gemstone?

2 hours ago, rosin_the_beau said:

I know that Jezrien's Honor blade has a sapphire, and Noah's shardblade has a heliodor. 

1 hour ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

I don't have the book in front of me but isn't there a scene in Oathbringer where Dalinar is hiding the Jezrien's Honor Blade in the piping of Urithiru and remarks that it doesn't have a gemstone?

Honorblades do not have gemstones

And @rosin_the_beau Helioder would correspond to Ishar, who is Noah? 

Is there any confirmation dead shards (blade or plate) glow by their original orders colors? Like Elsecallers blade will glowing teal and Willshapers glowing purple

Sanderson don't particularly emphasis on radiants blades color description, only on their shape

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

17 hours ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Is there any confirmation dead shards (blade or plate) glow by their original orders colors? Like Elsecallers blade will glowing teal and Willshapers glowing purple

If I remember correctly, dead Shardblades dont glow like alive ones, they just shine. We also dont have information about colour of Blades patterns.

But Plate...  i remember something about painting or colour changes, no Radiant Order also have colour Black - and we saw Black Shardplate. We also can supose that Adolins Plate is Dustbringer one (Dalinar saw it in one vision, this one with Thunderclast in Purelake) so should be red, but is blue.

• 6 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 0:52 PM, IcaroRibeiro said:

Sanderson don't particularly emphasis on radiants blades color description, only on their shape

I haven't seen any info about it, but I assumed that any colours on non-Radiant Plate are painted on, and they are ordinary grey like Dalinar's, which is explicitly stated to be unpainted.