RoW Chapter 2 & 3 Discussion

Jofwu

33 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't be able to infuse it is if it was already full with something, at which point the Sibling is just the obvious answer. 

Kind of like how you have to remove the Stormlight from a gemstone before a Spren can enter. 

34 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

I now feel like the Sibling has to be in the Gemstone Column. Like the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't be able to infuse it is if it was already full with something, at which point the Sibling is just the obvious answer. 

Just now, Innovation said:

Kind of like how you have to remove the Stormlight from a gemstone before a Spren can enter. 

Alternatively, we know from Syl's interlude that the tower had a different kind of light then stormlight.  I wonder if some kind of sibling light exists and if it resists honor's investiture.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, Agent34 said:

I don't think she can, tbh. It sounded like once a Truth is spoken it can't be forgotten, which led to the creation of Radiant. If you can't bury it then work around it.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:09 AM, Child of Hodor said:

Yeah, I think it is something more we haven't learned yet. Something that doing accounting reminds her of? Wasn't she keeping her father's accounts, that's why she could jump right in and do Sebarial's accounting.  Did she contribute to her families financial ruin in some way? 

We still do not know what were the lies were or how she was "broken"  before she bonded with Pattern, which is before  the deaths of either of her parents. 

13 hours ago, Karger said:

Alternatively, we know from Syl's interlude that the tower had a different kind of light then stormlight.  I wonder if some kind of sibling light exists and if it resists honor's investiture.

Perhaps a combination of Stormlight and the theorized Cultivationlight?

27 minutes ago, Innovation said:

The Stormfather is to Honor, and the Nightwatcher is to Cultivation. Perhaps the Sibling is to both?

I think this has been the commonly held theory for a while. (after an initial now rejected thought that the Sibling would be something to do with Odium)

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I mean if the trio of "gods of spren, stone, and winds" refers to the bondsmith godspren, then I could see the Sibling representing stone i.e. the surface of roshar.

This tied nicely with fact that Urithiru is practicly in the center of Roshar, and was build in this specific spot for magical purposes.

1 minute ago, Bzhydack said:

This tied nicely with fact that Urithiru is practicly in the center of Roshar, and was build in this specific spot for magical purposes.

I always forget that Urithiru is basically in the middle of it... I keep thinking it's further south, near a coastline, though on a super tall mountain, to be sure.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:00 PM, Child of Hodor said:

There are 9 Unmade, 9 Heralds quit, 9 Fused orders, the Everstorm usually takes 9 days to travel around Roshar, In a Vision Nohadon says the desolation killed 9 out every 10 people. 

9 comes up a lot in the books and it's always for bad things!!

Oh... and Taln is the ninth Herald. I'll just let you guys ponder THAT little detail. It can't possibly be significant, though. I mean, it's probably nothing.

*Shrugs and walks out of room*

2 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I died of laughter when Dalinar called Lirin "Lirin Stormblessed".

*Sticks head back in room*

Same!

*Leaves again*

A lot of this could be a coincidence. Honor’s number is ten. There has to be a ninth Herald out of the ten, a ninth Surge, a ninth Radiant order... if Odium’s number was three, you would end up with the same result. I do agree though, not all of it is coincidental. 

5 hours ago, Innovation said:

A lot of this could be a coincidence. Honor’s number is ten. There has to be a ninth Herald out of the ten, a ninth Surge, a ninth Radiant order... if Odium’s number was three, you would end up with the same result. I do agree though, not all of it is coincidental. 

Ok i'm just kinda laughing that you picked "3" as the "what if" number for odium there, cause that's the Dustbringers. :P

4 hours ago, The Ryshadium said:

I'm getting so impatient for the next chapters! One more day...

I want the new chapters, but I resent the slow pace, but I can't bring myself to wait, because I hate waiting, but waiting would be easier because then I wouldn't have to wait a week at a time, it would be all at once, but...

is it Tuesday yet?

1 hour ago, Rainier said:

I want the new chapters, but I resent the slow pace, but I can't bring myself to wait, because I hate waiting, but waiting would be easier because then I wouldn't have to wait a week at a time, it would be all at once, but...

is it Tuesday yet?

I'm actually really enjoying the serialised release of chapters because of all the discussion and theories we can get into. I love these threads, it's like watching GoT having not read the books and discussing everything in minute detail every week with friends

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Sul said:

Dalanar has now endless supply  of stormlight , does that mean he can  draw  nightblood without risking his life  ?

The likely answer is "yes". However, I would highly recommend against Dalinar doing this. We can reasonably assume that there is no upper limit to the amount of investiture that Nightblood can consume -- I dare say infinite. Fortunately he has been limited in his consumption due to his sheath as well as existing in the physical realm (sometimes in Cognitive, space travel and all that). However, the way that Dalinar gets an endless amount of Investiture is by creating a perpendicularity on command and linking the three realms directly with Honor's power.

We have no idea what the consequences of that would be but I imagine that giving an entity with infinite ability to consume investiture access to an infinite amount of investiture will likely cause HORRIBLE things. 

Here are a couple WoB that I think directly relate here

Questioner

If it's possible for Nightblood to actually interact with a Shard, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shard would try to stay very far away from Nightblood. Nightblood could not plausibly destroy an entire Shard but the Vessel could be in danger.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Mason Wheeler

What would happen if someone carried Nightblood unsheathed into a perpendicularity?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)