Favorite cosmere Concepts and Names

Kered

Scrolled back a few pages in the relevant areas and didn't see a topic like this before. It's something a few friends and I had cool conversation about so I thought I'd try it out here. Not for just seeing everyone's else favorite concepts but maybe seeing what peoples viewpoints on certain things will help you realize a new understanding of said certain things. 

Names could be character, cities/planets, powers, etc. Concepts is pretty obvious, things like surgebinding and allomancy. 

Favorite names are a three way tie:

• Cephandrius: Strictly because it's one of those words that sounds kinda cool but you see it in written form its just so much better looking, if that makes sense. 
  • vast: Kind of same thing as above but also I think Tanavast is perfect blend of a noble, fantastical name a name that could generally be acceptable in the real world. 
  • Scadrial: In my opinion sometimes it's a bit difficult for a writer, in terms of the fantasy genre, to come up with names that are so clearly different when it comes to names of planets/places and names of characters. Kinda like in the KKC with Elodin, which in my mind could easily be the name of a place or person if I didn't have any story context prior to seeing the name. 

Favorite concepts(these ones are all pretty obvious picks lol):

• Allomancy: Even the name is cool and I think this is one of, if not the best magic system in fantasy. In regards to rules and consequences, imagery, variations of said powers that make sense logically. 
  • Shards: Too often the same old tropes are used in fantasy when it comes to gods. Not necessarily a bad read but not a good one either. Other than NK Jem and the Inheritance Trilogy, I think Brandon has done the best job of creating a unique concept of gods. Not omnipotent or omniscient,   are able to be present in the story while still retaining an air of mystery and also being able to be tempered by in world mechanics to not be overpower and hijack the story. 

I mean as far as fantasy names go, Wheel of Time is still the best but Brandon's naming sense is still pretty great

The neatest concept is simply having all of the neat concepts I wanted in the same package.

Watching a fantasy setting become modern will be frickin cool! When I was first told about the Platonic Ideals, I was like "this would be so cool in a fantasy setting" et voilà ! The hard magic systems, of course, it's what Brandon is best known for, and the interconnected storytelling itself, it's fun to be able to theorize so much! 

Edited by Honorless

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

I mean as far as fantasy names go, Wheel of Time is still the best but Brandon's naming sense is still pretty great

I know this is a personal thing but never got on board with the WoT names as much, I hate when there are names that I have to just learn to recognize but cant figure out how to properly pronounce. I couldn't figure out how to properly say Egwene or Nynaeve, so they bugged my right from the beginning. 

5 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I know this is a personal thing but never got on board with the WoT names as much, I hate when there are names that I have to just learn to recognize but cant figure out how to properly pronounce. I couldn't figure out how to properly say Egwene or Nynaeve, so they bugged my right from the beginning. 

Really? For me they just come easily on the first read, much more so then some of Sanderson's own names like Szeth & Ym

32 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Really? For me they just come easily on the first read, much more so then some of Sanderson's own names like Szeth & Ym

Those were a lot easier for me, probably because they are single silables. A big part of my problem I that my mind adds extra sillables into Nynaeve that arent there, I got stuck thinking it was something more like "Nin-e-veev".  Granted I was also only 14 or so when I read most of the Wheel of Time all those years ago, so it may not have been a problem for adult me.

I really like the ecosystem of Roshar. Lots of fantasy books essentially just copy-and-paste England's climate into their world and call that good. It really impressed me that he could make such a vivid, realistic, and different ecosystem without swamping us with pages of explanation.