Next Chaper Predictions.

Karger

Less then a day until the next set of RoW chapters come out.  I want to see what people think they will be about as well as who can come up with the most accurate predictions of what they will consist of. 

Given the information of the last two and the 7/8 reading I guess the following.  Kaladin will engage the fused and said fused will call reinforcements.  However Kaladin has actually prepared for this and will call in reinforcements of his own.  Team Odium will be heavily outnumbered and this will allow Team Radiant to force them aware from civilians.  Not liking how things are going the fused will scatter threatening the civilians and forcing team radiant to divide their forces.  We will see a bunch of what the fused are capable of as well as how much radiant discipline and training has improved.  The end result will be the fused going to ground along with at least one tragedy.  My big guess is that Team Radiant will have prepared a mass evacuation (some kind of transport probably involving boxes for windrunners to move people around more efficiently).

We are missing something. If Kaladin expected to be expected, why go in himself? If he did not expect that kind of reception, why bring so large a team, let alone Navani, if she is present? That can be explained only because they were planning something big.  Do the Radiants suspect that they have a leak and this is a decoy operation to find the traitor?

Kaladin revealing himself looks like he wants to draw their attention away from something. If he wanted to use tactical surprise, the first sign of him would have been a Shard Blade materializing in a big sweeping strike. So Kaladin probably is trying to make it look like he is reacting badly and does a mock retreat to draw the Fused into an ambush of his squires and other Radiants.

19 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

If Kaladin expected to be expected, why go in himself?

I think he wants to draw enemy forces to his position sparing the civilians and allowing his own forces a fairly safe avenue of attack.  A very Kaladin thing to do.

20 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

So Kaladin probably is trying to make it look like he is reacting badly and does a mock retreat to draw the Fused into an ambush of his squires and other Radiants.

Agreed.  Much more better way of putting it

4 hours ago, Karger said:

I think he wants to draw enemy forces to his position sparing the civilians and allowing his own forces a fairly safe avenue of attack.  A very Kaladin thing to do.

Tactically sound, operationally not. He is giving up the advantage of surprise. The Radiants first move could be a well aimed salvo of arrows against unprepared targets. No longer. He could still have hidden behind a rock and yelled at the Fused after the arrows have hit.

I think that plan A was to simply smuggle the Mink out BUT it went wrong - now they may have been prepared for it to go wrong and had a backup ready - not certain.

Also, my pet theory (not that confident but hoping) is that they've built the flying ship from Navani's sketchpad and it's flying high above Hearthstone full of backup.

Edited by rjl

8 minutes ago, rjl said:

I think that plan A was to simply smuggle the Mink out BUT it went wrong - now they may have been prepared for it to go wrong and had a backup ready - not certain.

Why would plan A require a meeting in a town the Singers hold and guard? Why not just meet at some nice distinct rock formation?

Predictions:
Its evacuation mission set up by Dalinar.
Navani built flying ship they used to reach Hearthstone.
Navani and Shallan stayed on the ship, hence why Brandon decided to skip Shallan PoV so we wouldnt find out about the flying ship so quickly.
Kaladin and Lift and Godeki was the action team. Shallan is back up.
I think this will be revealed in the following chapters.

5 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Why would plan A require a meeting in a town the Singers hold and guard? Why not just meet at some nice distinct rock formation?

This is a really good point, and I don't know - unless they can't think of a good spot not covered by Singer patrols?

OR any such good spots they know of they don't want to reveal in a communication that could be intercepted?

OR Brandon just wanted to do it at Hearthstone and decided to do it that way without handling alternatives.

14 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Why do they need a flying ship to evacuate a group of five people?

They don't - BUT - they may need it to take the whole town AND/OR to bring a load of extra troops in case things go wrong.

Alternatively they may be testing it out, this could be it's first long trip.

17 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Why do they need a flying ship to evacuate a group of five people?

Maybe its first test in a field. Or Hearthstone isnt final destination and they flew through it aiming at another point of arrival (said, city with another pair of Oathgates, or even Perpendicularity).

9 minutes ago, rjl said:

They don't - BUT - they may need it to take the whole town AND/OR to bring a load of extra troops in case things go wrong.

Alternatively they may be testing it out, this could be it's first long trip.

6 minutes left - so I'll be brief. A field test on an important mission with Navani on board? Kind of reckless.

I called the flying ship!  I even got close on the name!  I did not expect that number of edgedancers though.

Also in case I did not make this clear time to start on the next next chapter(s).

Edited by Karger

Dont blame me for that, but i have a gut feeling.

New fused. Flyng ship. Moash most likely gonna take place on it.

Most people on this ship is doomed. Yep.

I have a feeling that Part 1 will end with epic fiasco. Most likely Bridge Four will pick up Herdazians and aim at Urithiru. But then crem will hit the fans.

Basically Avengers plot with Loki inflitrating Flying Fortress. Fused attacking. Moash sabotaging the ship. Dalinar, Kaladin, Navani, Lift, Hessina with Oroden, some WR and ED, Mink managing to abandon the ship, but everyone else including Lirin will die in a crash.

Probably in the process Kaladin will speak the Fourth Ideal (I can't save everyone), but will obviously hate them because he couldnt save everyone. This will lead to deep depression and Dalinar will move him to surgeon job to cope with the losses and failure.

Obviously, at some point, at the most important moment, Kaladin will return better and happier version of himself.

Edited by Harbour

55 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Basically Avengers plot with Loki inflitrating Flying Fortress. Fused attacking. Moash sabotaging the ship. Dalinar, Kaladin, Navani, Lift, Hessina with Oroden, some WR and ED, Mink managing to abandon the ship, but everyone else including Lirin will die in a crash.

I agree that Moash and co will do some damage but I don't think it will be that bad.  Some people will die(maybe including Lirin although I think instead he will sit around and be judgemental) I think the ship will make it to safety and many will consider this mission a mixed success but Kaladin will see this as a failure.

I think the first thing we will get is a cut to a different view point.  Maybe Venli but more probably one of the Harthstone PoVs(Lirin?).  We will get to see Navani's defenses in action.  I am hoping for a disintegration beam but I would settle for some self homing weighted nets that use attraction fabrials and maybe a flame thrower.  Depending on the PoV we will get interest in the the utility of them, shame at this use for human ingenuity or both.  In the background we will see different groups of radiants and others splitting off either to fight or rescue people.  Both sides will be unused to each others capabilities so their will be a lot of confusion.  The Battle of Harthstone has begone! 

Just when things get interesting we will probably shift PoVs again.  I think to Venli.  Not sure what she will be doing.

Broad thoughts

I really want most of the townsfolk to get away safely - the presence of Moash is a massive spanner in that though. BUT team radiant has brought the A team here there have been 38 radiants mentioned (Dalinar, Lift and 11 other edgedancers, Kaladin and  24 other wind runners). If this crew can get wrecked by anything team Odium can scramble in half a day then team Radiant is in big do-do.

Specifics for Chapters 4 and 5

We know where they are in ch7 - still here, same day - BUT fused have arrived and been fought. Also there's no hint of panic in the ch7 part - so no big disaster before that.

So what's going to happen in between

1. enemies can arrive and a battle can ensue, from the fact that Kaladin was in the air and another edgedancer had been captured clearly there's been a melee of some kind.
  2. For Roshone to be checking the cellar not a radiant I'm going to guess he went to do that before the fighting started so all the action has then been very swift.
  3. I think we're going to have more Shallan action to get us through the chapters without completing the hearthstone arc.
  4. I'm hoping for some more Lirin POV I want him to have a positive thought of some kind.

10 hours ago, rjl said:

We know where they are in ch7 - still here, same day - BUT fused have arrived and been fought. Also there's no hint of panic in the ch7 part - so no big disaster before that.

The Radiants are there. That the airship is still there is not so clear. I see two possibilities.

1. The Radiants assume that the enemy does not know of the airship. Hence the airship is running while Radiants form a screen behind it to stall and if possible defeat the Fused
  2. The Fused are too quick. In that case I think the airship will actually land in the village. There is no point in having a lashable target aloft if your mobility is compromised. And the Radiants are better in urban combat than the Fused. Their spren work to their advantage.

2 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

The Radiants are there. That the airship is still there is not so clear. I see two possibilities.

1. The Radiants assume that the enemy does not know of the airship. Hence the airship is running while Radiants form a screen behind it to stall and if possible defeat the Fused
  2. The Fused are too quick. In that case I think the airship will actually land in the village. There is no point in having a lashable target aloft if your mobility is compromised. And the Radiants are better in urban combat than the Fused. Their spren work to their advantage.

The airship landed in chapter 3 for people to get on - I doubt it will take off again until they're done unless they need to run. Also in ch7 Kal told Lift to take the fabrial to Navani implying that she's on the ground at the moment i.e. the air ship is still there.

As an extra point to consider Brandon said the below on reddit which IMO implies that we should expect these early events to happen rapidly and conclude BUT to involve more of other characters - minimally expecting some more Shallan action to be interspersed:

Time for Venli's PoV to make it's entrance. She'll observe the events from the other side and maybe even help via some careful sabotage? Which will probably result in her discovery, escape and joining the rest of Group 1 by the end of Part 1. It also occurs to me that as a listener, and a talented scholar, no less, she might have some critical insights on the Sibling problem and on fabrials in general. Maybe the gem column is like a giant gemheart.

So, I'd say that one of next 2 chapters is Venli.

6 hours ago, rjl said:

As an extra point to consider Brandon said the below on reddit which IMO implies that we should expect these early events to happen rapidly and conclude BUT to involve more of other characters - minimally expecting some more Shallan action to be interspersed:

Thanks for the reddit-pointer; his intention matches exactly the feeling I got, even though I did not know this of Brandons commentaries.

Again I am awestruck, what a great story builder he is.

I am so excited about what to expect from Navani's defenses.

That was Navani’s worst fear—that flying enemies would be able to strike at and even disable the transport. She had precautions in place to try to prevent that, and it looked like she’d get to witness their initial test firsthand.

Waiting for Adolin to appear and divulge to Shallan on a serious note about a serious conversation he had with Syl, coming to him for fashion advice and how good a friend he is to Kaladin for taking care of these kind of things. 

I'm liking the mixed POVs to start this book off, glad he went with that. 

1. I think we'll go back to Kaladin POV and the evacuation orders. We'll see Roshone being selfless and running for the captured townfolk :( Hopefully get some updates on whichever Windrunners / squires flew in. Hopefully an update on at least one Bridge Four person. The Mink will offer up some tactics and we'll get some good old fashioned fighting by Kaladin.

2. I agree I think we'll see Shallan (the Shallans?) wake up. Her spheres will have been removed and she'll look like herself again. I think Pattern will have done some recon while she was out, and we'll get info that way. I like the idea that we'll be hearing that she'll be meeting Restares or Ialai in short order.

3. I would love a Venli or Eshonai history segment thrown in here too, but only if it's related to the climactic scenes Brandon has already set up. My guess is we won't see one until after the Hearthstone battle. Hope I'm wrong!

Guessing is fun! I love being completely wrong, Brandon is so good at pleasantly surprising me.