Hour length

It's been a while since I've read White Sand but it might have something to do with the moon's revolution, since the sun doesn't move across the sky on Taldain. Though the standardisation may also be to take advantage of that fact & use... rounded off decimal numbers, I don't know if that's the correct way to put it. I do recall a Taisha standard time...

Edited by Honorless

Because that's just how they do it on Taldain. The reason that a sixty second minute/sixty minute hour system is the standard on Earth is because that's how the Babylonians did things... because they used base-60 mathematics. Taldain's divisions of time presumably make perfect sense to them, just like Roshar uses tens for weeks and months because that number is intrinsic to their world.

Edited by Weltall

22 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Because that's just how they do it on Taldain. The reason that a sixty second minute/sixty minute hour system is the standard on Earth is because that's how the Babylonians did things... because they used base-60 mathematics. Taldain's divisions of time presumably make perfect sense to them, just like Roshar uses tens for weeks and months because that number is intrinsic to their world.

Huh, I assumed that hours, like days & years would have astronomical reasons tied to how they are ordered, but its more like months & weeks

Edited by Honorless

10 hours ago, Weltall said:

Oh, there's an astronomical logic behind it as well; base 60 is very convenient for such measurements.

Ah, so what they had, they made it fit, kinda like measurement of a year again.

Edited by Honorless

20 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Standard time of Lossand. I don't remember anything more about it.

there wasnt much.

just that its a 12 hours system.

100 minutes in an hour

and that following Taisha standard time, The Diem slept between 11th and 3rd hour and most Officials work between 4th and 9th hour

Edited by Eternal Khol