Hoid the Drifter

Kelsier's thought about Harmony

8 posts in this topic

He holds the powers of creation in twain, a god among gods. Is this a quote?

Posted (edited)

yes, from Secret History.

the full quote is

"Huh, Kelsier thought. He hold the powers of creation in twain, a god among gods, And he's still a terrible liar"

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 7/27/2020 at 4:19 PM, Eternal Khol said:

yes, from Secret History.

the full quote is

"Huh, Kelsier thought. He hold the powers of creation in twain, a god among gods, And he's still a terrible liar"

I meant, is Kelsier quoting something?

54 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

I meant, is Kelsier quoting something?

No, he just noted Sazed's hesitation and realized that he was lying to him, that there was a way to regain his body.

20 hours ago, Honorless said:

No, he just noted Sazed's hesitation and realized that he was lying to him, that there was a way to regain his body.

but it seems like something that Kelsier wouldn't come up with by himself, as he isn't a poet, and the line seems pretty poetic. Maybe it's from Alendi'

s diary? (I'm speculating, I haven't read Mistborn in a while.)

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

but it seems like something that Kelsier wouldn't come up with by himself, as he isn't a poet, and the line seems pretty poetic. Maybe it's from Alendi's diary? (I'm speculating, I haven't read Mistborn in a while.)

Kelsier did receive an education and he does wisecrack. He's perfectly capable and willing to come up with a line like that. 

31 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Kelsier did receive an education and he does wisecrack. He's perfectly capable and willing to come up with a line like that. 

I know but it just doesn't seem like him. He's more into getting things done than writing poetry.

1 minute ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

I know but it just doesn't seem like him. He's more into getting things done than writing poetry.

You can think of it as "translation license" from in-world Scadial to our-world text. Kelsier is thinking in semi-archaic and formal/poetic phrasing that would echo religious texts, as we might echo the King James Bible, to recognize that Sazed is now divine, and doubly so... To contrast it with the fact that even so, he has the same "tell" that he did as a man.