A few questions

BreezeCauthon

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Condensation said:

Good idea. Are you planning on posting this? I'm excited to read it.

9 hours ago, MusicalReader said:

Ooh, if you do plan on posting it, let me know! I'd love to read it!

Maybe eventually, but not quite yet. I'd like to get a little further into it and a little more settled before I do that. Plus, with school started back up, I'm barely doing any writing right now. Thanks for the interest though!

2 hours ago, BreezeCauthon said:

Maybe eventually, but not quite yet. I'd like to get a little further into it and a little more settled before I do that. Plus, with school started back up, I'm barely doing any writing right now. Thanks for the interest though!

Awesome. Tag me when you do!

11 hours ago, BreezeCauthon said:

No problem! I'd also love to be tagged when you do.

• 2 months later...

So, I had intended to start posting my book here (partially to inspire myself to write some more), but then I realized that this would make theoretically getting it published extremely difficult.

Now, the odds of my ever publishing this book are slim to none. But on the one-in-a-million chance it got there, I would hate to have accidentally (or purposely, I guess) shot myself in the foot by posting it here.

So. Any workarounds anybody can think of?

5 hours ago, BreezeCauthon said:

So, I had intended to start posting my book here (partially to inspire myself to write some more), but then I realized that this would make theoretically getting it published extremely difficult.

Now, the odds of my ever publishing this book are slim to none. But on the one-in-a-million chance it got there, I would hate to have accidentally (or purposely, I guess) shot myself in the foot by posting it here.

Post a couple of the chapters, but don't post them all? That's what Fadran and Writer are doing.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:43 PM, BreezeCauthon said:

Ah yes, hello. Someone should have pinged me about this question. So, yes, putting it on here will make problems with trying to get this published. I had posted several chapters and then asked Aon Ene to delete them because of that. I ended up doing two things. One, I ended up sending my writing to a Writing Workshop on the shard called Reading Excuses, however, while I will say to check it out, I don't recommend joining it and going for literally any other writing group in the history of the world. My experience there was less than ideal, and while I will not deny they did help my writing in certain areas, it is not something noteworthy by any means and they are very hostile to discussions or questions and do not try and help in providing solutions to problems. The second thing I did was get anyone interested in my story into a PM and sent it there. PMs do not show on google searches and are private, so it's a way of getting around that. Just leave some post saying to ping you on here or your homepage or something. A third option that I did not consider but am going to test is posting something and then editing it out. So you can post whatever you want here and edit it all away. I shall test it now.

Edit: Okay, gimme a minute, seems google searching your stuff only works for topics and not post. be back.

Edit: Nope never mind, editing your post does not work, however, this means that you cannot google search anything responding to topics, so if you want to post on Creator's Corner safely, make a topic where you will post you chapters, then double post and constantly edit that one post. When you want to get rid of it, you can edit it all out, or even hide it.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Ah yes, hello. Someone should have pinged me about this question. So, yes, putting it on here will make problems with trying to get this published. I had posted several chapters and then asked Aon Ene to delete them because of that. I ended up doing two things. One, I ended up sending my writing to a Writing Workshop on the shard called Reading Excuses, however, while I will say to check it out, I don't recommend joining it and going for literally any other writing group in the history of the world. My experience there was less than ideal, and while I will not deny they did help my writing in certain areas, it is not something noteworthy by any means and they are very hostile to discussions or questions and do not try and help in providing solutions to problems. The second thing I did was get anyone interested in my story into a PM and sent it there. PMs do not show on google searches and are private, so it's a way of getting around that. Just leave some post saying to ping you on here or your homepage or something. A third option that I did not consider but am going to test is posting something and then editing it out. So you can post whatever you want here and edit it all away. I shall test it now.

Edit: Okay, gimme a minute, seems google searching your stuff only works for topics and not post. be back.

Edit: Nope never mind, editing your post does not work, however, this means that you cannot google search anything responding to topics, so if you want to post on Creator's Corner safely, make a topic where you will post you chapters, then double post and constantly edit that one post. When you want to get rid of it, you can edit it all out, or even hide it.

Ok thanks, that's helpful. I think if anybody is interested I can put it on a PM.

39 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

Actually, give Reading Excuses a try. Writer had problems with them, but I'm pretty sure that was on Writers side, not yours. I would be interested too.

Yeah, I do recommend trying it out, it might end up working for you, if that's what you're looking for, but I will still warn you that they aren't the type to discuss problems or provide suggestions. They will do a decent job of pointing out issues and help clean your writing, though.

I'd like to play the Devil's Advocate and point out that sharing your book online could also be a good thing. If people like it, you could generate a following. Your own fandom. Publishers like that. If you can show them that the thread with your book has 800,000 page views, that's major currency. Even if you can't publish this particular book, you can still parley that success into a deal for your next project.

Moreover, the real concern is that publishers will shy away from a story that's "already published," and I don't think that'll be the case. It sounds like you're talking about a first draft (or a similarly early draft), which is guaranteed to be very different from the version that you would ultimately publish.

And don't underestimate the value of feedback. This is a good community. We're supportive, and we try to be helpful. If you can learn a few things about your own strengths and weaknesses, that's priceless. Like you said, the odds of getting your first attempt a novel published are a million to one. But if you make the most of that first novel as a learning experience, that's how you make the odds a little better for your second book.

No pressure, obviously. I second Condensation's recommendation: post a couple chapters. See what people think. See if they ask for more.

30 minutes ago, Yezrien said:

I'd like to play the Devil's Advocate and point out that sharing your book online could also be a good thing. If people like it, you could generate a following. Your own fandom. Publishers like that. If you can show them that the thread with your book has 800,000 page views, that's major currency. Even if you can't publish this particular book, you can still parley that success into a deal for your next project.

Moreover, the real concern is that publishers will shy away from a story that's "already published," and I don't think that'll be the case. It sounds like you're talking about a first draft (or a similarly early draft), which is guaranteed to be very different from the version that you would ultimately publish.

I have been assured by people who have posted their work on here that publishers will ask you to delete anything and everything. they do see it as publishing your own. it's stupid, but that is how they view it.

32 minutes ago, Yezrien said:

And don't underestimate the value of feedback. This is a good community. We're supportive, and we try to be helpful. If you can learn a few things about your own strengths and weaknesses, that's priceless.

Agreed. It is also very useful to see how a reader reacts to certain scenes and characters.

33 minutes ago, Yezrien said:

Like you said, the odds of getting your first attempt a novel published are a million to one.

Eh, that number is thrown around a lot, and it really isn't, it's a lot more likely than people realize. 

34 minutes ago, Yezrien said:

But if you make the most of that first novel as a learning experience, that's how you make the odds a little better for your second book.

Yes, practice makes perfect, keep trying, you'll get it down eventually

35 minutes ago, Yezrien said:

No pressure, obviously. I second Condensation's recommendation: post a couple chapters. See what people think. See if they ask for more.

A PM would be able to do basically the same thing but wouldn't piss off publishers. I posted my stuff here and then had them deleted, and he will have to do the same, if he wants to publish it.