Laral + Kaladin

snoopy

Questioner

Will Kaladin ever find love?

Brandon Sanderson

He's asking that same question, as well.

Tor Instagram Livestream (Nov. 25, 2020)

Not anytime soon, and there is no more time. He's not going to end up with anyone, he has Syl and she's his everything with no romantic morphemes implicated. 

No, just no.

Never as indulged in Kaladin's so called "character charisma" as some might be, however, even I found that Sanderson acted as if he was deriving pleasure from torturing the character with multiple issues "Well, you've somehow come around with the flaws of the social structure? Guess what? Now you'll have major mental issues to cope with! And adding to that is your father continuously trying to force you into a confinement suitable for his unrealistic morality!"

Perhaps Laral's attitude in Oathbringer is understandable (though from a reader's standpoint, I honestly consider it almost unbearable), but seriously...it's just the fourth book, and although the first arc of SA is about to complete, I just do not see the point in having Kaladin going back to Laral, with potentially other choices around. A large chunk of my guts wish she'd just die of old age and sickness while eventually becoming irrelevant to Kaladin, or she could just be swallowed by a chasmfiend.

A more savage and whiny version:

Spoiler

I literally wish for him being with ANYONE (cremlings included) other than some degenerate filth "compassionate, strong, determined girl" like Laral. 

Just please, if that ever happens in future story arc, I think imma throw up and to never read SA or related book EVER again. Such kind of unnecessary romance would be literally a form of devolution to his character, and besides, if this will ultimately be the path BS takes, then what's the freaking point for introducing Tarah in that damn flashback? All for nothing?

Now I just sincerely hope Sanderson would NEVER consider this as a possibility, otherwise Kaladin might as well brand a massive "SIMP" on his forehead with some device that prevent stormlight from healing the flesh. The character has received enough mental torment from his own hypocrite and coward of a father, he certainly does not need another...stuff from his miserable early days.

At this point, I don't think we have time to see Kal in a relationship. We have ten days until the duel of the champions, little time for a serious relationship to grow, and if the duel of the champions happens at the climax of the book (which it almost certainly will, though I may be surprised) we have fifteen years between the events of SA 5 and 6. 

Assuming Kal survives SA 5, we will have fast forwarded Kal's life fifteen years, at which point he will probably have been married for about a decade ish.

52 minutes ago, ShardplateJoe III said:

At this point, I don't think we have time to see Kal in a relationship. We have ten days until the duel of the champions, little time for a serious relationship to grow, and if the duel of the champions happens at the climax of the book (which it almost certainly will, though I may be surprised) we have fifteen years between the events of SA 5 and 6. 

Assuming Kal survives SA 5, we will have fast forwarded Kal's life fifteen years, at which point he will probably have been married for about a decade ish.

I'd say the duel is likely to happen quite a lot before the climax of book 5 to be honest. 

19 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

I'd say the duel is likely to happen quite a lot before the climax of book 5 to be honest. 

Ah, but if the surprise is that it happens early in the book, then wouldn’t it be just like Brandon to shock us by making the book occur over ten days? Or better: the duel is delayed by mutual agreement, and takes place at the end... with lots of time in the middle. Because the beginning? That’s practically expected!

Laral certainly has some good qualities but, just, not enough. Kaladin especially needs somebody warm and thoughtful besides strong, somebody who opens up to him and shares feelings, not somebody who cuts him off every time they meet.

On a personal level, I'm not sure if this makes me more or less invested in what I read, but I like slow and complex buildup of emotions and romantic tension, which means both characters involved need to be given plenty of POV or at least "screen time". A rushed side story with somebody who barely got a few mentions in 4 books does not appeal to me at all. I don't want to have to imagine all the details, I want the book to take me through them, slowly. Like a good foreplay. Sometimes when the words come from the book they have stronger impact than just the images in my mind, just like real foreplay feels different than imaginary foreplay.

I think it's safe to say, if Brandon would plan anything between Kaladin and Laral, he had every opportunity to at least re-establish some form of friendship between them in this book. Between that and "it's a girl I would never marry, no matter what", I'm not sure how much more he could sink this ship, aside from maybe killing any of the characters.

1 hour ago, Ailvara said:

I think it's safe to say, if Brandon would plan anything between Kaladin and Laral, he had every opportunity to at least re-establish some form of friendship between them in this book. Between that and "it's a girl I would never marry, no matter what", I'm not sure how much more he could sink this ship, aside from maybe killing any of the characters.

Yeah, Laral raised her eyebrows at Kaladin saying to her "I imagined coming back and saving you from all of this" (what a very Kaladin thing to say), when she was apparently relatively happily married - running the town as citylady for Roshone, and having a family (her two children must have existed already in that scene in OB, given their ages in RoW, he just hadn't any time time to learn about their existence or to meet them).

So on top of having to re-establish an emotional bond between the two that goes beyond "we used to have a mutual childhood crush on each other", and her reaction of "stop viewing me as an object of rescue when I'm a capable citylady", and her being in sincere mourning over the death of a man he's hated for pretty much all of his adult life in Roshone...  Can you imagine Kaladin wrestling with being the stepfather raising Roshone's kids?