Intro to dark wish fulfillment

Oltux72

Duty before Honor

Thaylenah counterbase, Year 11 of Unified Roshar

Meridas Amaram leaned back and fed Voidlight into the fabrial mesh powering his Shadecruiser. He felt a familiar tightness in his chest. He reached for his fish pills. The shadowy figure in the aluminium cage where his copilot should have been seated hissed and shrieked. The pressure vanished.
“One day” he heard across his link. “I do not fear what duty leads me to” he answered aloud. “Nor am I above vengeance”. He felt a brief spike of revulsion over the link followed by silence. Well, he was not sure he could do it again. He would remember the howls of Dalinar and Jasnah as Gavilar’s device molded them into the rocks of Damnation, rekindling the pact that could not be broken again, whenever he saw Braize in the night sky.

He didn’t look often.

Yet the cordon had held. The men riding undead trunked beasts would not try again. He could not ignore what else lay out there any longer. His trusted aide saluted disapprovingly. ¨You know I have to do this myself. We caught that shapeshifting creature. I need to trust myself and time may be running out.” She nodded and rolled back beyond the safety lines. The ground crews disconnected the water hose and checked the doors. He checked on his deadeyes, regarded the crates of captured cans with an ironic twinkle in his eye, returned salutes and shifted forward the engine levers.

The obsidian expanse fell back below and behind him. Vapours, here I come.

8 hours ago, Mist said:

It seems rather out of place. I'm not sure what is going on, or how it relates to what we're reading now. I'm not sure how we got to where we are.

Well, I was trying to follow Brandon's motto of showing not telling. The purpose of this piece was to get as dark as plausibly possible and to engineer general clashes. The concrete POD here is that Gavilar's research bore more fruits, including a device to renew the oath pact with new members who cannot return from Braize and a method of controlling Yelig-Nar with magic from the Purelake.
Given these possibilities Amaram wins in Thaylen Fields and does a turn against Odium.

32 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Too dark

Wasn't that the unique point of the Final Empire? Just extending and expanding.