Sel

Hoid the Former Drifter

Question

1 answer to this question

Yes, you can Hemalurgically spike  Elantrians & Forgers, but Selish magics are location locked so you'll also have to spike their Connection to their land

mail-mi (paraphrased)

Could you spike Elantrian-ness? Like, could you Hemalurgically spike Elantrian-ness?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Theoretically, yes.

mail-mi (paraphrased)

Could you out of a Reod Elantrian? The zombie ones?

Um, yes you could.

mail-mi (paraphrased)

You could?

So what you would be spiking there is their Connection to...to the planet, first. That's gonna be the big important thing. So you're going to overwrite your Connection. Um, and then you're going to....it's going to be a complicated process because you're going to have to spike the actual ability to have been transformed, that's gonna be harder.

mail-mi (paraphrased)

Okay.

Does that make sense?

mail-mi (paraphrased)

Yeah, so it's gonna take two spikes.

It's gonna take two spikes.

mail-mi (paraphrased)

Alright.

And you gonna have to get the right Connection to the right place. Let's say you spike somebody from MaiPon, and then you spike an Elantrian, you're not going to be able to use it, you're not connected to the right area.

Orem signing 2014 (Dec. 6, 2014)

Soulstamping someone to give them access to other Invested Art is far more difficult however. Surgebinding needs Nahel Bond with a spren, Allomancy requires a direct Connection to Preservation, a Forger does not have access to that much Investiture, Soulstamping a spren would be fiendishly difficult as they are living Investiture

Questioner (paraphrased)

Would it be possible to use a soulstamp to give or take Allomancy?

Not under normal circumstances. The amount of Investiture required to do so would effectively short-circuit the stamp.

American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

Brandon Sanderson

Do keep in mind, people like to ask, you've probably seen people ask, "Could I rewrite myself to be a Knight Radiant?" Right? WELL... There are certain things that you just-- you can't fake without enough energy that it becomes impractical. Usually what I use as an example to that is: Yes, we can turn hydrogen into gold, if we wanted to. Right? We can do that! It might take more energy than the earth creates in an entire year, but we can do that.

I get a lot of questions with this that I'm like "is it possible?" and I'm like "Guys, is it possible?" ...You should probably be like, "Is it possible, with reasonable amounts of energy provided by one Invested person".

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

Questioner

If you Soulstamp somebody to give them a Connection to Arelon, and they became an Elantrian, could they become and Elantrian, and if the Soulstamp is removed, would they remain?

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, so you're asking a better one than people have asked. So you say "You get Soulstamped, you move to Arelon, your soul thinks that it is this, you do have spiritweb of Connection" I will go ahead and RAFO this with the caveat of why it might not work, is because, you might think you’re something, right? That doesn't necessarily mean-- Like, this is not completely invisible and things like this. And so, whether the power is going to follow those lines of Connection or not I will leave up to discussion, but it is a possibility worth theorizing upon.

Questioner

So a Soulstamp doesn't necessarily change the core of your spiritweb.

Brandon Sanderson

It does, but it's overwriting it. It's like Hemalurgy. What you are is still there underneath when it's ripped away, right?

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

We don't know the precise mechanics of Elantrians & Sandmastery. You'll need connection to Arelon and the Dayside of Taldain respectively, but we don't know precisely how the Shaod operates nor how Sandmasters are Initiated.

Edited by Honorless