Has anyone seen this?

Nathrangking

Oh, wow, that is a big addition. How'd you manage to catch that? Quoted below, for those too lazy to click the link:

After forming a coalition of human resistance against the enemy invasion, Dalinar Kholin and his Knights Radiant have spent a year fighting a protracted, brutal war. Neither side has gained an advantage, and the threat of a betrayal by Dalinar’s crafty ally Taravangian looms over every strategic move.

Now, as new technological discoveries by Navani Kholin’s scholars begin to change the face of the war, the enemy prepares a bold and dangerous operation. The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals, and potentially reveal the secrets of the ancient tower that was once the heart of their strength.

At the same time that Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with his changing role within the Knights Radiant, his Windrunners face their own problem: As more and more deadly enemy Fused awaken to wage war, no more honorspren are willing to bond with humans to increase the number of Radiants. Adolin and Shallan must lead the coalition’s envoy to the honorspren stronghold of Lasting Integrity and either convince the spren to join the cause against the evil god Odium, or personally face the storm of failure.

That has some big clues for the character groupings, which I think I'll take to the character grouping thread.

I was expecting the envoy to head for Stoneward and/or Dustbringer spren who seem to be the ones most angry about the Recreance, leaning towards the Dustbringer spren as we were supposed to see more if them & they seem to be Bonding recklessly. I honestly thought post-OB the Honorspren would all join in.

But perhaps only someone of Taln's caliber could convince the Stoneward spren.

I hope the Inkspren & Reachers don't also need persuasion... 

Gotta love the Truthwatcher spren, Cultivationspren & Cryptics for their foresight and generally less prideful nature!

Edited by Honorless
added Cryptics

I dont have the scene handy, but isnt there a scene in Oathbringer where Rock is observing a handful of honorspren watching the men train on the shattered plains?  If so, anyone know if he actually mentions how many of them there were?  Might give us a clue

4 hours ago, quadbox said:

I dont have the scene handy, but isnt there a scene in Oathbringer where Rock is observing a handful of honorspren watching the men train on the shattered plains?  If so, anyone know if he actually mentions how many of them there were?  Might give us a clue

Had a look, it's chapter 37 it doesn't give a number.

The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals, and potentially reveal the secrets of the ancient tower that was once the heart of their strength.

Place your bets now. Urithiru is a:

Pathway off world?

Giant space laser?

Weather forecasting system?

Can it be that my cherished hope that Azure will bond Captain Notum will come true? Did her sharing of awakened blade technology somehow affect the proceedings? If the honorspren can have shardblades of their own now and fight the Fused and voidspren in Shadesmar, they might be less inclined to bond. I can't see how they could mass-prdouce them, though, unless the process became much more efficient in the interim and Azure was prepared to sacrifice a chunk of her investiture to make them.  In any case, here is to Shallan and Adolin  running into her again and her transitioning from a cameo  to a tertiary recurring character.

7 hours ago, Isilel said:

Can it be that my cherished hope that Azure will bond Captain Notum will come true? Did her sharing of awakened blade technology somehow affect the proceedings? If the honorspren can have shardblades of their own now and fight the Fused and voidspren in Shadesmar, they might be less inclined to bond. I can't see how they could mass-prdouce them, though, unless the process became much more efficient in the interim and Azure was prepared to sacrifice a chunk of her investiture to make them.  In any case, here is to Shallan and Adolin  running into her again and her transitioning from a cameo  to a tertiary recurring character.

Ooh, another Radiant/Awakener would be cool!

24 minutes ago, Vambram said:

Although Shallan is not one of my favorite characters, I've always found the Cognitive Realm and Shadesmar very, very interesting. I am REALLY looking forward to reading the Shadesmar chapters in Rhythm of War.

My hope is that Shallan will be much better in this book. We already have some indications that Kaladin will be struggling emotionally. I don't think Brandon would overwhelm us with two main characters struggling like that.

3 hours ago, Q10fanatic said:

My hope is that Shallan will be much better in this book. We already have some indications that Kaladin will be struggling emotionally. I don't think Brandon would overwhelm us with two main characters struggling like that.

He said in one of the recent interviews that he was necesarily light on Shallan's affliction in book 1/2 and planned for it to more front and center in book 3/4, so I think we'll still see some Shallan struggling.

2 hours ago, Kuram said:

He said in one of the recent interviews that he was necesarily light on Shallan's affliction in book 1/2 and planned for it to more front and center in book 3/4, so I think we'll still see some Shallan struggling.

He also said in the last live signing that he hired a new beta reader with Dissociative Identity Disorder to help with Shallan's arc in Rhythm of War, so it sounds like we'll be digging into it more. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

13 hours ago, Starla said:

He also said in the last live signing that he hired a new beta reader with Dissociative Identity Disorder to help with Shallan's arc in Rhythm of War, so it sounds like we'll be digging into it more. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

That's really cool. I love how seriously he takes his audience and his characters, to treat these issues with the care and realism that they deserve.

Whoa, that's a lot of added info!!

I want Urithiru to be an enormous greatshell, with the city section as it's back.  And it wakes up and takes a walk. 

Adolin is a surprising choice to go back to Shadesmar.  He felt powerless and couldn't use his Shardblade.  Unless Maya recovers?!?! Maybe she's the envoy? :o (Although he still couldn't use her as a Blade, so probably not).

(I'd forgotten how hyped I get about baseless speculations XD)

Edited by Zelly

10 hours ago, Zelly said:

Adolin is a surprising choice to go back to Shadesmar.  He felt powerless and couldn't use his Shardblade.  Unless Maya recovers?!?! Maybe she's the envoy? :o (Although he still couldn't use her as a Blade, so probably not).

Well... he's already been there, so that's some experience. He's quite charismatic, that can be usefull. He's the son of the Stormfather Bondsmith (who also is the leader of the human coalition), Highprince Kholin, and cousin to the Alethi queen : that grants him a lot of authority to speak on behalf on. Finally, he can fight (very well) with conventionnal weapons in Shadesmar, while Shallan can't really defend herself without stormlight.

The obvious drawback is that his bond to Maya will probably be seen as an insult.

If you go through the Shadesmar sequence in Oathrbinger, Adolin was actually incredibly useful throughout, so looking at an expedition now he has experience and useful skills. Obviously Maya is a massive draw back, UNLESS, she's healing...

Also whilst Jasnah is probably the best Shadesmar traveller they have, they can't send the queen off on this sort of expedition, and Shallan's probably their second best - Shallan and Adolin have been married only 1 year, generally you keep newlyweds together to avoid, shall we say, "upset".

Edited by rjl

1 hour ago, Dracnor said:

The obvious drawback is that his bond to Maya will probably be seen as an insult.

I'm actually interested to see if there is some obvious differences in Maya's appearance in the Cognitive Realm after the end of OB.
Maybe some visual representation of them being more 'alive' than before?

5 hours ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

I'm actually interested to see if there is some obvious differences in Maya's appearance in the Cognitive Realm after the end of OB.
Maybe some visual representation of them being more 'alive' than before?

If I remember right, Maya looked like a typical cultivationspren except more withered/wilted in the plant-like parts of her appearance. So if she looks a little greener, that's a good sign.