The case for Frustration.

Frustration

In honor of it being one year to the day since I joined the Shard, I present the theory that Frustration is a Shard.

"A Terrible, dangerous knife that can't be wielded without cutting yourself. We joked about stupidity, but in reality most people aren't stupid. Many are simply frustrated at how little control they have over their lives." -Hoid Oathbringer page 683

I have highlighted frustrated but the italics was there in the text, and while not much to go off of this is the same conversation that many have pulled wisdom as a shard from.

Edited by Frustration

A Shard of Frustration would be pretty funny. Along with my not-serious theory that the "Shard that just wants to hide and survive" was the Shard of Cowardice.

It'd be even funnier if that was another expression of Intent the Shard of Harmony, as we have a WoB that Sazed's expression of the union of Ruin and Preservation could change over enough time, or to have been interpreted differently. So much power... But can't... Do... Anything... Without... Second guessing... Myself.... Aarrrgh!

4 hours ago, robardin said:

A Shard of Frustration would be pretty funny. Along with my not-serious theory that the "Shard that just wants to hide and survive" was the Shard of Cowardice.

That's gold.

4 hours ago, robardin said:

It'd be even funnier if that was another expression of Intent the Shard of Harmony, as we have a WoB that Sazed's expression of the union of Ruin and Preservation could change over enough time, or to have been interpreted differently. So much power... But can't... Do... Anything... Without... Second guessing... Myself.... Aarrrgh!

Ooh I like this, and not just because that would give me the power of two shards 

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

That's gold.

Ooh I like this, and not just because that would give me the power of two shards 

Need to tweak the ratio by turning someone into an Avatar with more of one shard than the other.

Hmm, I wonder who in the world would be suitable for taking part of Ruin+Preservation with a preference for one over the other :P

...Wait, would that Avatar be called Discord, then? :huh:

It probably depends. Sazed is Harmony because he balances the two powers. A Discord vessel would probably be bent to one power more than the other. I could see a Frustration vessel not being able to combine the powers effectively and instead be frustrated at every turn.

I could also see an interpretation of Preservation as Frustration because you would be prevented from doing anything

On 8/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, Negative_Null said:

I could also see an interpretation of Preservation as Frustration because you would be prevented from doing anything

I think you are right on that. I don't have a WoB but I don't believe that it was implied that Adonalsium was omnipotent nor omniscient meaning he can't do everything. I don't think that necessarily means that it couldn't accomplish what it wanted if it wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

It almost sounds like we're saying that frustration can be applied to almost any Shard. In other words, frustration is the true Intent from which all other Intents are formed!

When you think about it Frustration is the essence of progress, and regression, and a lot of other things.

• 10 months later...
On 09/07/2021 at 0:08 PM, Friendshipspren said:

Btw a shard combo of Autonomy and Devotion would be Contradiction or *drumrolls 

Frustration

I don't see how Love and Freedom to determine one's action are contradictory.

Maybe Odium+Devotion?