A badly written and thought out SA x Magnus Chase fanfiction

---

So basically all I do is write crossovers between Percy Jackson and whatever I'm reading/watching at the time. (Including, but not limited to: Alcatraz, Reckoners, wow those are both Sanderson, and Glee but I have no idea what inspired that.) I recently started wondering what it would be like if Jack, Magnus Chase's sentient sword, met Nightblood. I then realized that that wouldn't really work, as I don't know how Nightblood would communicate with Jack (not that Jack would care), but by then it was too late and I had already started writing a piece about Magnus Chase and a Companion visiting Roshar. Yeah I know it doesn't make sense, Fight me. Anyways-

I have included below what I have written down below (in a spoiler guy? It's not that much word, but I've seen other people do it, so...) which is in Magnus Chase's PoV (Technically making it more MC than SA? but it's still SA, though you don't know MC then I don't know if this will make sense. (though if you don't know MC I don't know why you would click on this,,,) so...Please don't kill me?)

I don't even know if anyone is going to read this.

It doesn't make much sense, and there is probably a lot wrong with it, but If anyone wants to read it and leave any constructive criticism? or just plain criticism? anything? I'm very lonely I miss human interaction. So- yeah,

*Deep Breath* Anyways-

Clarification: There is no Nightblood here (yet?) as I'm still trying to figure out how (if even) they would communicate? Does jack have some sort of mind that Nightblood can speak to? Would they require some third party as a translator? Am I overthinking the rules to this fanfiction? (That last one is probably a yes...)

Spoiler

I hit the ground and immediately stumbled to my knees as the lurching in my stomach came to a halt. A hand reached down and I accepted it, feeling dizzy, letting Hearth help me to my feet. “Come on, let’s get going. We have to get back to Sam before-” I cut off, looking around and realizing where we landed. Or, where we didn’t land. “Uh, Hearth? Where are we?”

Hearthstone glanced around and then turned back toward me. We were supposed to end up in Boston. I don’t know what went wrong.

“Well that’s just great, though not completely answering my question. Can you try and get us out of here?” I gestured at his rune pouch. 

Hearthstone picked up the rune at our feet and held it for a minute. He looked back at me and shook his head. Nothing’s working.

“Okay, I guess we should start walking and try to find someone or someplace.” I checked my watch. 5 o’clock. “Jack? Do you have any idea where we are?” Jack didn’t say anything, instead replying with faint humming. “Great. Very helpful.” I turned to Hearth. “Well? Where do you think we should go?” 

We were standing in the middle of a giant field of nothing. White stone in every direction. Hearthstone was looking out into the distance and I followed his gaze and saw the faint outline of...something? Passing in the distance. That way? Hearthstone signed, glancing at me, gesturing in the direction the thing seemed to be heading.. 

“Better than nothing, I guess..”

We walked for a while in silence. Have you tried to use sign language while walking? It’s not the easiest. After a while I took Jack out of pendant form. 

“Hey, where’d we end up?” Jack strained against my grip and I let him go, shooting in front of us and then dashing back. “I’ve never seen a place like this before. Where did that elf bring us to?” 

I sighed and reached out to grab Jack. “I was hoping you would know.” Jack swerved and avoided my hand, doing a circle around Hearthstone and me. 

“It smells weird here.” Jack returned to my side.

“Jack, you don’t have a nose.” 

“That doesn’t mean I can’t smell.” 

“Okay,” I decided to humor him. Nothing ever good comes from offending your sword. “What does it smell like?”

“I don’t know. Weird.” 

As we got closer the ‘thing’ turned out to be a group of people with wagons. I tried to keep at a distance away, not wanting to get caught up in something before understanding a bit of what was going on.

After a bit more walking we caught up to the thing at what seemed to be a city. I noticed a few things. One, they had wagons. This in itself wasn’t so weird, considering all the weird things I’ve seen, but they were pulled by these giant animals with a shell covering their body like a giant crab. Second, their clothing wasn’t something you would find on Midgard. And third, what seemed to be soldiers walked alongside the wagons, with swords on their hips. I figured they wouldn’t take too kindly to a teenager nearing them with a talking sword floating by his side, so I returned Jack to pendant form.

I stopped and turned around, noticing Hearth had stopped walking. We’re not on Midgard. I noticed that he was looking at the animals pulling the wagons.

“Yeah, I figured that. Do you have any idea what they are?”

Hearthstone looked back at me. A mix between a giant crab and something else? I’ve never seen anything like it.

That sounded great. Despite everything else that has happened to me, I started to get slightly worried. Let’s hope we can learn something from these people. I signed back to him as we got within listening distance of the group of people. Or, at least it would have been, if we could have understood a thing they said. The group passed through into the city and two of the guards guarding what seemed to be the entrance to the city approached us. They wore blue uniforms and carried spears. Even though their uniform covered their arms, you could tell that they were well muscled, like an Enheirji would be. One of them, taller than the other, with tan skin and curly black hair, said something indecipherable aimed at us. It wasn’t spanish or french, that’s for sure. I glanced at Hearth, but it’s not like he would have been able to understand any more than I was. Jack mumbled something from around my neck. 

“Um. Hi? English? Do you speak English?” I talked slowly. In my experience, wherever you go there’s usually at least one person who speaks English. Apparently that wasn’t the case here. The two guards exchanged glances. 

“Shin?” The other guard asked. He was shorter, with darker skin.

“Shin?” I echoed back at him, confused. Shin? I glanced at my leg, wondering if something was wrong with it. What did that have to do with anything? Maybe that was the only English he knew. 

The guards discussed something more and the taller of the two walked back into the city. The other stayed, watching us, hand on his spear.

I followed his gaze towards Hearth. He had his hand in his rune pouch and pulled out a stone. After whispering something to it he held it out, glowing, to me. It looked kind of like my fehu pendant that Jack turns into.

Communication. Try to talk to him. Hearthstone signed after I took the rune.

“I got message back from Urithiru. We can send them there with the next swap.” I turned quickly back to the guard. The taller one had returned, and the shorter was still watching us, slightly confused. I wonder what the glamour made him see.

“Um. What’s Urithiru? And why are you sending us there?” The guards jumped and looked at me. 

“You speak Alethi now?” The taller asked, narrowing his eyes at us, his face confused. 

They said I am speaking A-L-E-T-H-I? I signed, looking at Hearthstone. He shook his head, he didn’t understand. 

I turned back to the guards, not knowing how to handle this. “Uh, yeah, sure. Can you tell me where we are? I think we got a bit lost back there.”

“I would think so, the only Shin we see around here is the Assassin in White. You guys are pretty far from home.”Assassin? I never had a good time around those. The guards exchanged glances as I translated for Hearth. I figured that since technically they were speaking a different language, he wouldn’t be able to read their lips.

“This is Stormseat,” The shorter guard said, “Gateway to Urithiru.”

“So...Can we go in?”

“Yeah. Go straight in and make the first left. In that building they will have some paperwork for you to fill out. They can tell you more there.” The guard waved us in and walked to meet some people behind us that had apparently arrived when I wasn’t looking.

We walked towards the building, which seemed to be a place where we could get directions of some sort. A good number of people gave us dirty looks as we passed. I was also very aware of how tall the people were here. Hearthstone seemed to fit in, but I looked like a 13 year old boy.

“Why do they keep looking at us strangely?”

S-H-I-N? Hearthstone asked. Maybe. 

What is a shin?

Maybe we can ask the people inside.

We entered the building and found three people sitting behind a counter. Two had very dark skin and were talking rapidly about something as we walked in.

“Brightlords?” The two cut off their conversation as the third stood up to address us. Brightlords? I looked behind me to see if there was anyone else in the room, but it was just Hearthstone, Jack, and me.

“Um. Hi.” I looked at hearthstone. “Um. We got kinda lost, and we’re trying to get back home. Do you know if we can get a map or travel guide or something?” The two who were talking before we came in started talking again. The woman they were speaking to looked a little startled.

“Yes, of course. We have a map of the shattered plains here.” She goes to one of the shelves in the back and pulls it out. “One diamond chip for viewing, two marks to take it with you.”

“Diamonds? How am I supposed to get diamonds?” 

She looked at me, annoyed. “I know that Shinovar does use spheres, I have traded there before. A few diamond chips isn’t much to ask for at all, some places might charge a Broam.”

“I don’t suppose you guys take credit card?”

The two others were paying attention now. “Credit card?” one of them asked, looking confused. The other narrowed his eyes. “Where are you from?”

“Uh,” I looked at Hearthstone, but he didn’t have much to say. “Midgard?” I said, taking a gamble. Either they would know and be able to take us back, or they wouldn’t know and we’d be back where we started. The two exchanged looks and stood up, one of them heading to the back of the room. 

“Midgard?” The woman asked. Exchanging confused looks with the man next to her. She brought out a different map and set it on the counter. “Where is that? I’ve never heard of it.”

Hearth and I walked up to the counter. The map seemed to be of a planet like earth, but maybe a long time ago when earth had one big continent. The map had a whole bunch of lines on it. Writing maybe? But I couldn’t understand it. Could we have gone back in time somehow? I asked Hearthstone. Like back to when dinosaurs or other weird animals existed?

Hearth shook his head it changes location, not time. 

“Oh, just somewhere over there.” I waved at a part of the map on the right side, hoping that wasn’t where we were. It seemed to be exactly where we were, as she narrowed her eyes suspiciously and went to talk to the other woman in the back. My hand went to Jack at my neck, but I really didn’t want to have to fight anyone, and I noticed Hearth’s hand slightly out to his side, probably in case he needed his staff. The darker woman came back to the front and apparently noticed Hearth too, though surprisingly she seemed to look scared and back away a bit. The other woman came back up to the counter and showed her companions a piece of paper. 

“Shardbearer?” the man said quietly to her, and she looked from me to Hearth, who had already returned his hand to his side.

“Come with me, I will bring you to Urithiru, and you can tell us about Midgard, so we may add it to the map.” The woman started to walk past us to the door.

Do we follow? I asked Hearthstone. He shrugged and started to follow, but with a wary look towards her.. “What do you think Jack?” I asked quietly as I started out the room.

“I think that I’m missing a very important date with a spear for this.” Jack seemed honestly annoyed, though you never really could tell with him. 

We crossed a bridge and made our way to a circular building. A jail? Were they going to try and lock us up? I exchanged apprehensive glances with hearthstone, and watched as he flexed and unflexed his hand. I put my hand back up to my pendant. “Be ready Jack, just in case.” he hummed. I am still unsure whether that meant he was with me, or that he would rather be serenading his date with Selena Gomez songs. She led us into the building and then promptly left us, heading over to someone standing by a sheet of metal on the wall. 

Now inside, it was obvious this wasn’t a jail. That made me feel slightly better. The floor was painted with bright colors in 11 different pictures, divided up like a pie with one slice slightly smaller than the others. The wall was also painted, with about a dozen lamps hanging around. I looked at the lamp nearest me and saw that it seemed to be leaking some sort of white light. I turned to Hearthstone.

Are they some sort of magic? I figured hearthstone would probably know best out of the two of us. Jack would probably know better, but I didn’t want to bring him out quite yet.

Not any that I know. Hearth brought his hand up to the light. It suddenly went out and his eyes widened. 

You broke it? I signed to Hearthstone, getting worried yet again. 

Sorry? I don’t know what I did.

Can you fix it?

Hearthstone touched the lantern and nothing happened. He pulled a rune out of his pouch and apparently tried again. Shaking his head, he replaced the rune. I don’t know.

How about we move to a different spot? I suggested, not wanting someone to get mad at us for destroying a lantern. We moved around the chamber a bit more, looking at the paintings until the woman came back, a younger girl following. On her way she passed the broken lantern and shook her head. 

“Already dun? The last highstorm was just two days ago.” She pursed her lips. “See if you can find a replacement.” She said to the girl, who proceeded to run out of the building. “The next transport will be soon, wait here and someone will come for you once you get to Urithiru.” She addressed us and then immediately left. I looked up to see the man she was talking to earlier watching us. I figured I’d try and make it less awkward so I walked up to him. 

“Hi, I’m Magnus. That’s Hearthstone.” I gestured at Hearth, who had moved and was watching another one of the lanterns. The man stayed silent. I felt like Jack, talking with his dates.  “So…” At that moment the girl ran back in, holding something glowing in a gloved hand. She took something out of the lantern, and then placed the glowing thing inside. It must have been some sort of magic lightbulb because the lantern was lit again. I walked back to Hearthstone, having seemingly failed at making that less awkward. Reaching Hearthstone, I turned back to the door in time to see a group of men and women in blue walk in, laughing and joking. They shut the door and one of the older men separated from the group.

“Everyone here?” He addressed the whole room, but mostly the man currently watching me. The man nodded and the older man was suddenly holding a giant. Probably as tall as I was, and glowing faintly blue. This thing made Jack look like a children’s toy. He stuck the sword into the wall and the lights around the room flickered before he pulled it out. Suddenly the sword was gone. I looked to Hearthstone who was watching all of this intently.

Where did that sword come from? I asked him.

Some sort of Glamour? Or a pendant like Jack can?

I looked closer at the man and saw nothing, though it was harder to see now that they were all heading out the door. I moved to follow them and the other people in leaving, but the man stopped us.

“Someone will come pick you up in a moment.”

“So you can talk I see.” He gave me a look and moved back. A moment later a woman came in. She was about my height with tan skin, black hair and wore a long dress with a high neck, as seemed to be the custom around here. Thinking about ‘here’ made me worried again. We still didn’t know where ‘here’ was, let alone how to leave. She approached Hearthstone and me.

“Are these the two I was sent to meet?” She said it while looking at us, but I had a feeling she was talking to the other man in the room. 

“Yes Brightlady.”

She looked us over, pausing on my fehu rune, before turning and walking out, apparently expecting us to follow. Which we did. Did she recognise Jack or Frey? If we ended up here, there has to be some connection to the gods, even though it didn’t seem to be one of the 9 worlds. As we exited the building we were met with a wall of noise. The building was on a large circular platform, and there were identical platforms to either side of it. In the center of the platforms there were hundreds of men seemingly fighting each other, and beyond that a giant tower in between two mountains.

“So, you are not from Shinovar? Will you tell me where you are from?” The woman...Brightlady? Was that her name? What kind of name was that? Walked across the platform, meeting up with a few guards with spears and a girl with some paper before continuing to walk.

“Um...Boston? Earth? Midgard?” I translated her message and signed along for Hearthstone. She nodded to the woman at her side who made a note on the paper. 

“Which one is it? I have not heard of any of these places.”

“Well, they’re all the same place, just different names.”

“Interesting. The same name, in different languages maybe? And what are your names?”

“I’m Magnus, this is Hearthstone.” I gestured at Hearthstone again, although it was useless, as she wasn’t looking at me. 

“And why doesn’t he speak for himself?” She turned around and stopped at the top of a ramp leading down to the ground from the platform and studied hearthstone. “Is he mute?” 

“He’s deaf.” I was getting kind of annoyed. I had no real reason too, since it’s not like I asked her questions and she was avoiding them, but all I wanted to do was get home.

“Interesting names. Not like others I’ve heard. Definitely not Shin.” The woman at her side made some more notes on her paper.

“Yeah, as I said. We’re not um...Shin. What is shin? And where are we? I kind of have a dinner date so I’d love to be able to get back home in time.” She turned back around and began walking. 

“This is Urithiru. The home of the Knights Radiant and hub of Roshar. You can get almost anywhere using the Oathgates, so I wouldn’t worry about going home. It probably isn’t safe anymore anyway if you ended up here.” 

We started to pass a group of people fighting with spears and shields. I realized they must be practicing, like we do in Valhalla. Well, maybe not like we do in Valhalla, as I doubt these people would come back to life after being speared through a few times. She continued to ask meaningless questions as we walked. I decided to tell the truth for the most part. It didn’t seem like lying would conceal more from these people, who seemed to be as clueless about my background as I was about everything going on. Eventually we reached the tower, which turned out to be a lot taller than it seemed just a small bit earlier. We passed a few of those giant animals with shells, which Hearthstone visibly recoiled from, pulling wagons filled with food. Food. I couldn’t remember when I ate last. What I wouldn’t give for some falafel right now.

“Does there happen to be anything we could eat?” 

“There is food you can buy in the market if you have money.” She stopped at the base of the tower. “I’ll send a guard with you when we’re done here.” She looked to the sky and I followed her gaze. The sun was barely visible, this had apparently taken longer than I thought. Suddenly something started to fall from around the middle levels of the tower. It flew far from the base of that level and then started to fall lower, eventually landing on a platform. Close enough now, I realized it was a person. I got Hearthstone’s attention. 

Did you see the flying person?

No, Like a valkyrie? 

I shook my head. No wings.

“So people can fly here?” I asked, as nonchalantly as I could. I mean, people flew back in valhalla too, they just used wings. The woman-Brightlady looked at me, confused.

“Only the Windrunners and Skybreakers.”

“Right. Of course.” She shook her head and turned back to speak to her companion. Someone came out of the tower and ran towards us. 

“Brightlords,” She met our eyes and gave a slight bow before turning to our interrogator and giving another slight bow, “Brightlady. Queen Jasnah is calling an emergency meeting of the scholars.” 

Brightlady turned to her guards and addressed them. “Take them up. I will send word for you.” She then left into the tower, following the messenger.

The guard led us through many corridors, into a sort of elevator, and then through a bunch more hallways until we reached a set of big doors with guards stationed outside. The guards parted after a few words from ours, and led us into the room.

Edited by Illwei
I guess I didn't make it clear oop :)

That's straight-up baiting! Where's Nightblood? xD 
Just kidding (though I did start reading expecting Nightblood-Jack interaction) :P
That was fun! Thoroughly entertaining and hilarious at times. xD Nice to meet a fellow proud Uncle Rick fan! 

50 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

That's straight-up baiting! Where's Nightblood? xD 
Just kidding (though I did start reading expecting Nightblood-Jack interaction) :P
That was fun! Thoroughly entertaining and hilarious at times. xD Nice to meet a fellow proud Uncle Rick fan! 

Sorry about that...I did start writing intending to have a Nightblood-Jack interaction...then got too carried away with trying to figure everything out, and then trying to explain to myself how Nightblood and Jack would even meet eachother... :] 

• 2 months later...

This was quite interesting and I really liked it. I think if Magnus Hearthstone and Jack somehow ended up on Roshar this would be pretty close to how it would look like. And did I missread or did Hearth took in Strormlight to fuel his runes. 

Bottom-line great work with the fanfic, but you left wanting MOOORE. I'm very curiose and now you have me dying to know what happens next?? Are you planning on continuing this story???

2 minutes ago, Shardsplinter said:

This was quite interesting and I really liked it. I think if Magnus Hearthstone and Jack somehow ended up on Roshar this would be pretty close to how it would look like. And did I missread or did Hearth took in Strormlight to fuel his runes. 

Bottom-line great work with the fanfic, but you left wanting MOOORE. I'm very curiose and now you have me dying to know what happens next?? Are you planning on continuing this story???

Thanks! :P. 

I mean I wrote a more, then hated it, then wrote a different more, and then hated it less a bit. :P.
Mostly I stressed myself out with overthinking the implications of hearthstone taking in Stormlight... :P. 

17 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Thanks! :P. 

I mean I wrote a more, then hated it, then wrote a different more, and then hated it less a bit. :P.
Mostly I stressed myself out with overthinking the implications of hearthstone taking in Stormlight... :P. 

Maybe you shouldn't have done that then and kept the magic systems separate if you didn't understand the implications of doing that.

15 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Maybe you shouldn't have done that then and kept the magic systems separate if you didn't understand the implications of doing that.

My point is that it's a fanfic and it doesn't have to be realistic because it was never believable in the first place, since Earth and the cosmere are two unrelated places. I got caught up in the specifics of how Hearthstone and Stormlight would interact because of the Rosharan/Cosmere/Investiture laws. 

Would you like to add some Emojis or Emoticons or anything to your post so I can get a different tone off of it?

I would also redirect you to the title of this here thread which completely absolves me of having to completely think through anything :P.

Just now, Illwei said:

My point is that it's a fanfic and it doesn't have to be realistic because it was never believable in the first place, since Earth and the cosmere are two unrelated places. I got caught up in the specifics of how Hearthstone and Stormlight would interact because of the Rosharan/Cosmere/Investiture laws. 

Would you like to add some Emojis or Emoticons or anything to your post so I can get a different tone off of it?

I would also redirect you to the title of this here thread which completely absolves me of having to completely think through anything :P.

Just because You're writing a fanfic doesn't mean you don't have to think it through. You can still have a slight idea of what you're doing when you set something up. At the very least, though, you made me think of what kind of fanfic I might write to I may live up to my name. Also, no, I'm not giving you emojis. I don't like emoji. Screw emojis. I can simply say the tone is more annoyed that I still don't have my Jack meeting Nightblood encounter due to your incompetence at planning! How dare you not plan it out in the space of two months! GIVE ME NIGHTBLOOD! XD

This is great, and for your dilemma with the stormlight, while I havent read the magnus chase books for a while but when hearthstone uses his runes it uses up his energy and he gets tired. maybe while he has investiture using his runes would eat that up rather than his own energy. I'm probably completely off the mark though. I loved this and riordan and sanderson are two of my favorite authors. I hope you write more of this, you did great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...