Investiture consumption in the Cognitive Realm

Yorkaller

Hi, so I'm re-reading Secret History, and there are a few chapters in which Kelsier "takes" objects such as a campfire from the Physical Realm and uses them on the Cognitive Realm. When he does so, he doesn't seem to spend any Investiture of any kind, although in Oathbringer, Shallan has to spend Stormlight in order to make the spheres take a defined form, and also when they want to create ice (I know those two aren't exactly the same thing, but they are kind of similar). So, ¿Why Kelsier doesn't need any kind of Investiture (he mentions that as a cognitive shadow he can't use allomancy) in order to do that, whereas in Roshar they clearly do? My guess is that he is using some of the power he got from Preservation in the Well of Ascension, but I'm not really sure about it, so I wanted to share it with you.

(Sorry for my bad writing, I'm not an english native speaker)

6 minutes ago, Yorkaller said:

Hi, so I'm re-reading Secret History, and there are a few chapters in which Kelsier "takes" objects such as a campfire from the Physical Realm and uses them on the Cognitive Realm. When he does so, he doesn't seem to spend any Investiture of any kind, although in Oathbringer, Shallan has to spend Stormlight in order to make the spheres take a defined form, and also when they want to create ice (I know those two aren't exactly the same thing, but they are kind of similar). So, ¿Why Kelsier doesn't need any kind of Investiture (he mentions that as a cognitive shadow he can't use allomancy) in order to do that, whereas in Roshar they clearly do? My guess is that he is using some of the power he got from Preservation in the Well of Ascension, but I'm not really sure about it, so I wanted to share it with you.

Welcome to the shard!  If you are asking how he can interact with items they are already manifested.  He also briefly manifests a knife if I remember correctly but that is access investiture from the perpendicularity(like an overfilled mug).

2 hours ago, Yorkaller said:

I believe he can manifest items using the power the well gave him, which is quite a lot, but still probably finite. manifesting items might be different on Scadrial, I'm not sure, but if he kept manifesting items, he might eventually have run out of power.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Welcome to the shard!  If you are asking how he can interact with items they are already manifested.  He also briefly manifests a knife if I remember correctly but that is access investiture from the perpendicularity(like an overfilled mug).

Kelsier did manifest items, he even kept a backpack for carrying all of the unmanifested ones.