king of nowhere

the people of cazzi/canzi

4 posts in this topic

ok, this is something that i always wanted to ask about, but i never dared to. until today, when i discovered that the coppermind page still uses the original name.

so, in the first mistborn book, there is a passing reference to "the people of cazzi". in later books, there are some more references to the same preascension people, but their name has been changed to "canzi" instead.

so i wonder, did brandon change the name because someone told him what "cazzi" means in italian? if not, why else change the name? and why, in all the years since then, nobody in the coppermind who knew italian raised the question?

So Brandon just made a mistake and didn't remember the exact name of the Cazzi in Hero of Ages. He didn't have any staff members at that time, so there are a lot more errors. It's a simple mistake, like him getting Bilg's name wrong. Bennet got two T's originally too. Brandon misspelled Adonalsium in the first Hero of Ages printing...

The Hero of Ages leatherbound has corrected it so the text is consistent and uses Cazzi now, so that's what the Coppermind uses. The other use, Canzi, is just a mistake. 

huh. so brandon picked up a name that is a profanity in a foreign language, and then changed the name, and it was a coincidence? crazy world.

and he made canon the profane word. now i wonder whether brandon does not know what the word means in italian, or if he knew and went ahead. after all, as the the number of names you invent increases, the likelyhood of one or more of them having some unfortunate meaning in a foreign language approaches one.

I doubt he knows Italian or ever knew of this. I imagine a lot of fantasy names are probably profane somewhere, as you said.