RightingWrite by Fadran - Fantasy

What should we focus on first for Worldbuiliding?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should we focus on first for Worldbuilding?

• Soft Worldbuilding (feat. Castle in the Sky)
    • Static Characters (feat. Pazu... from Castle in the Sky)

YES THE ARMOR ONE YES

Sometimes I wanna draw a lady wearing armor so I look up pictures to use for reference and like............the only way that might protect you from enemies is if it seduces them instead and that makes me  u n c o m f y

5 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Unnecessary filler: Do I have to explain this one? I probably don't. Listen, guys; I don't need to know exactly what's in the tavern's meal, or the conversation the MC had with a random NPC. Just have the plot keep going.

Personally, I really like this. As long as it's not overused it can be interesting and if feel like you can slip in fun worldbuilding details that are cool, but have absolutely no bearing on the story, and I like those kinds of details.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

...that's why I had "Hate of necessary filler" in there

I feel like the difference between necessary and unnecessary filler is really based off of personal preference. What one person thinks is unneeded and should have been removed from the book might be someone’s favorite part. 

5 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

YES THE ARMOR ONE YES

Sometimes I wanna draw a lady wearing armor so I look up pictures to use for reference and like............the only way that might protect you from enemies is if it seduces them instead and that makes me  u n c o m f y

Just use the same armor design you would for a man, historically speaking that's what you'd go with.

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

I mean... obviously change it a little, since females are built differently than males (just stating facts here) but essentially the same.

Actually, historically armor has a bit of a feminine shape to it. 

Here's a video that explains it in depth:

I spent a half-hour commenting on the pet peeves and lost the comment when I when to see if there was more to comment on in the next page and the stupid commenting restoring function likes to screw you over for the big stuff and yet saves the five-word barely finished thing you were typing.

6 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I spent a half-hour commenting on the pet peeves and lost the comment when I when to see if there was more to comment on in the next page and the stupid commenting restoring function likes to screw you over for the big stuff and yet saves the five-word barely finished thing you were typing.

Agony. Pure agony.

6 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

That is one of the most annoying things about the shard.

Also I would like to take this opportunity talk about my pet peeve the Authors that either don't care about their lore and forget it between books, or try to change it with zero explanation.

Edited by Frustration

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

That is one of the most annoying things about the shard.

Also I would like to take this opportunity talk about my pet peeve the Authors that either don't care about their lore and forget it between books, or try to change it with zero explanation.

What do you mean i love that part. If it wasn't  like that i would quit " the shard"

Did y'all know that Superman is actually super intriguing and really well-written? And that all the movies where he's evil or whatever are bad representations of the original character?

Well I'd say that the ones where he's evil aren't trying to represent the original character, and some of them are really good.

Superman: Red Son, for instance is really cool.

Edited by Frustration

• 2 months later...

If I were writing a book, how exactly do I get started? Do I have to make outlines and whatnot? 

Can a book count as Fantasy if it has no magic or magical creatures in it? Example- The Ascendance Series by Jennifer A Nielsen. 

And if you were writing a such a book as mentioned above, at what point does it cross over into just fiction territory and away from the genre of fantasy? 

Just responding to the second and third question here. 

Yes, it absolutely counts. If the Rithmatist had no magic in it, an arguement could still be made to call it fantasy although an equally strong one could call it alternate history. The line between fantasy and fiction is pretty blurry, but the actual definition is: a genre of imaginative fiction involving magic and adventure, especially in a setting other than the real world. I would say there are three factors for fantasy, and at least one must apply for it to be considered fantasy. It either needs to be set in a made up world other than earth, have magic of some sort, or have magical/fantastical creatures. Technically, superhero movies and/or comics are fantasy, due to magic or fantastical creatures existing.

20 minutes ago, Elf said:

Can a book count as Fantasy if it has no magic or magical creatures in it?

Well if there is nothing Fantastical in it why would it be fantasy?

21 minutes ago, Elf said:

Example- The Ascendance Series by Jennifer A Nielsen.

A very good series, but no, not fantasy.

22 minutes ago, Elf said:

If I were writing a book, how exactly do I get started? Do I have to make outlines and whatnot? 

Depends on you, I've tried a lot of things, I've found I can't outline otherwise I don't want to write, I've found I have to just skim write the opeing and get to the action for the same reason. Brandon Outlines with a passion, and so do others, find out what works for you.

23 minutes ago, Elf said:

And if you were writing a such a book as mentioned above, at what point does it cross over into just fiction territory and away from the genre of fantasy? 

I would say more by feel than anything.

But the Wikipedia page says that the Ascendance Series is juvenile fantasy. 

So an outline isn't necessary? Cause I've tried outlining but it just doesn't work for me. 

I understand the point that if there is nothing fantastical in it, why would it count as Fantasy? But if you are writing a book, that has no real historical connection, can't be called alternate history (because the conflict in it is too small to affect history), it has no magic, no fantasy creatures, and it's more than just fiction, what the hell are you writing?

Edited by Elf

1 minute ago, Elf said:

But the Wikipedia page says that the Ascendance Series is juvenile fantasy. 

Wikipedia is nice and all but it's far from infalible.

1 minute ago, Elf said:

So an outline isn't necessary? Cause I've tried outlining but it just doesn't work for me.

Not one bit.

2 minutes ago, Elf said:

I understand the point that if there is nothing fantastical in it, why would it count as Fantasy? But if you are writing a book, that has no real historical connection, can't be called alternate history (because the conflict in it is too small to affect history), it has no magic, no fantasy creatures, and it's more than just fiction, what the hell are you writing?

Really all the genres are just marketing, with no real qualifications to be any of them, it's all just based on public preception