Prologue made me think Gavilar may not be actually dead.

Harbour

New prologue made very huge emphasis on Gavilar ambitions to rule forever. To become eternal. To go somewhere out there. He also had affinity with void sprens. Navani description of his eyes - like two void dots - was chilling. And then, when she stood near his corpse, emphasis on her thoughts. "He couldnt just die like that". As someone pointed out, there was very specific choice of words when Navani described the corpse of Gavilar:

the cold husk of Gavilar Kholin. His discarded shell

What if Gavilar's death, while unexpected so soon, was the plan on the path to become immortal? What if this is the requirement to ascend? What if his spirit somehow managed to jump into somewhere. Maybe with the help of Odium? Or via that magic box? Or within the void spheres?

What do you think?

6 minutes ago, Dawnshot said:

If Gavilar had Odium's help, could he turn out to be Odium's champion? Would love to see how that would play out for Dalinar.

Wouldn't be surprised if he will return. I mean, i can speculate so much. Gavilar's PoV was left for a dessert with a purpose. Will he turn out to be main villain of first 5 books? Or be actually the good guy all along? 

I can see certain pattern when it comes to Gavilar's allies: Sadeas in Book 1 presented as bad guy, Sadeas in Book 2 dies, Amaram in Book 1 and 2 presented as bad guy, Amaram in Book 3 dies.

Maybe Aesudan is also his ally, presented in Book 3. Did she die here? Will she die in Book 4?

Going with the same pattern, Book 4 or Book 5 may reveal Gavilar as Final Boss of first 5 books. Then being also an Odium's Champion will fit him well.

Edited by Harbour

19 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Maybe Aesudan is also his ally, presented in Book 3. Did she die here? Will she die in Book 4?

I thought Aesudan died in OB from Yelig-nar? Is she still alive? Regardless Gavilar as the overarching hero/champion would be sweet tho 

1 hour ago, Q10fanatic said:

Odium told Amaram that Yelig-Nar consumed her.

Not to be that guy, but I don’t think we know exactly how that works. Aesudan might show up again somehow. I hope so. She was kinda wasted. I don’t think it will happen, but who knows? 

I do think that it is important to remember that Gavilar most likely isn’t Odiums Champion. After all, he seemed to be pretty serious in grooming Dalinar for the part. If he already had Gavilar, he would just whack Dalinar instead of pulling a Darth Sidious routine and asking him to join the dark side. 

In short, I think both Aesudan and Gavilar are dead, but the speculation is cool.

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Not to be that guy, but I don’t think we know exactly how that works. Aesudan might show up again somehow. I hope so. She was kinda wasted. I don’t think it will happen, but who knows? 

I do think that it is important to remember that Gavilar most likely isn’t Odiums Champion. After all, he seemed to be pretty serious in grooming Dalinar for the part. If he already had Gavilar, he would just whack Dalinar instead of pulling a Darth Sidious routine and asking him to join the dark side. 

In short, I think both Aesudan and Gavilar are dead, but the speculation is cool.

I think she will show up again/ be mentioned as team Radiant starts backtracking to figure out what Gavilar did and why.

So at first I thought this was a little bit of a stretch, but then I got to thinking. Based on his conversation with the Heralds, and then his conversation with Navani, especially this quote "I have discovered the entrance to the realm of gods and legends, and once I join them, my kingdom will never end. I will never end", I'm thinking that he was actively trying to become a herald. 

Now maybe, just maybe, he actually pulled it off. If that is the case, when he was killed, he would have been off to Braize, and would have been there until the end of book 1. Now, why he wouldn't have shown up after that is another question, but its a twist I could potentially see happening. 

4 hours ago, MyrmidonOfAchilles said:

The real kicker would be if we never heard anything more about him surviving over the entirety of the Stormlight series and assume he just kicked the bucket, but then he pops up in MB Era 4.

Yes! :)

8 hours ago, Jon said:

So at first I thought this was a little bit of a stretch, but then I got to thinking. Based on his conversation with the Heralds, and then his conversation with Navani, especially this quote "I have discovered the entrance to the realm of gods and legends, and once I join them, my kingdom will never end. I will never end", I'm thinking that he was actively trying to become a herald. 

Now maybe, just maybe, he actually pulled it off. If that is the case, when he was killed, he would have been off to Braize, and would have been there until the end of book 1. Now, why he wouldn't have shown up after that is another question, but its a twist I could potentially see happening. 

I think this could be a very real possibility.

Edited by Cheat Commando
Added emotion

I get where this comes from, prologue does makes us question his death and one begins to wonder if he indeed, is on his way to ascendency but I don’t want that to happen. 
Sometimes a person is just a narcissistic megalomaniac. And sometimes grand plans just go poof! 
I, however, would love to see Gavilar’s face when mediocre Dalinar actually ascends!! And I want to see Navani recognised as a renowned artifabrian. 
So this is where she got all the self- doubts eh? You show them lady! You show them all

5 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Idk I think he's just dead. Seems kinda Anti climactic to me if he returns after 7 yrs or more. He's no parshendi and I think it's not that easy to become a herald. 

Agreed fully 

I also think it would be very similar to Kelsier coming back to life. Too many people come back to life and suddenly death loses all meaning and high stakes situations become zero stakes. 

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Kelsier coming back wasn't really annoying to me. Szeth & Jasnah were though.

What will the prologues be about in the back 5 of SA, I wonder? 

I also was not disappointed by Kelsier’s return. In fact, I think if you have to bring someone back it should be like kelsiers. There has to be consequences involved. Coming back is possible but it is not easy and it leads to major changes etc etc 

I was not annoyed at all by Jasnah’s return also because I never believed for a second that she was dead. Her body had vanished and ghostbloods were furious! 

Szeth’s return was very annoying especially because of all the trouble his oathstone has caused.

That new Fused with beard and the way he leave own shell after "death" made me wonder. Obviously Gavilar isnt Parshendi but still there some similar dots here and there.

This idea gonna haunt me till the release of Book 5 prologue i guess.

Edited by Harbour

I suspect that Gavilar will be the Prologue Character for Book 5, but then I thought what if it isn't? What other cool POVs could we see?

If not Gavilar, then it would be really cool to get Nale's story on that night. Or, since Shalash was there too, maybe hers. Third candidate for me would be Jezrien, but since he's crazy.... Maybe not.