Mistborn and Inception

BreezeCauthon

One of my favorite movies is Christopher Nolan's Inception. When I was reading Mistborn: The Final Empire recently, I found several similarities to that film. Breeze, for example, is quite similar personality-wise to Eames. Both Kelsier and Dom have an issue with a long-lost wife. Vin and Ariadne are young women whom the main leader kind of just recruits to the band and explains a whole new world to. Both are heist stories.

Do you see any other similarities? Do you think Nolan read Mistborn?

I like the parallels you draw (hey, you could write an 8-10 page paper on this for the right class!), and maybe Nolan had read Mistborn at some point - the movie came out in 2010 but he had been working on it for about 10 years. But these elements aren't that uncommon. And Kelsier's "issue" with his lost wife are very different in basis.

Calling Inception a "heist story" is kind of funny. I get what you mean, but the whole point after all is that they're doing a REVERSE heist in Inception! What Ruin does with Spook in Urteau is more like an inception.