How many new Radiants?

Karger

Well, in today's released chapters (Chapter 5, to be precise), we see Skar and Drehy both flying around as Windrunners in the one-on-one face-offs with "Heavenly Ones", as well as Lopen. We also see Lyn flying in to check on Kaladin, but as she is wielding an ordinary spear, we don't know if she's bonded a spren but is still of the First or Second Ideal, or still a squire dependent on a Windrunner of at least the Third Ideal to use Stormlight.

We see Rock Lashing a spear to fly upwards to Kaladin, so he's still at least a Windrunner squire. Dabbid is mentioned, but as helping Rock with the civilians rather than fighting.

One of Vathah's deserter crew, Red, is referred to as "one of her Lightweavers" (the one who had infiltrated the Sons of Honor as a darkeyes and was designated as "the bagger"). It's unknown if that means squire or a Cryptic-bonded one, but I'm guessing a squire like Vathah became in Oathbringer (which would also explain the use of the plural). And now we can still wonder if Gaz is in that number, and if Stormlight would heal his missing eye the way it did Lopen's missing arm, as we've seen from Gaz's POV that he's never "gotten used to that darkness".

52 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

are they 250 of Kal's personal squires?

No.  Teft has squires as well.  Bridge 13!

38 minutes ago, robardin said:

, but I'm guessing a squire like Vathah became in Oathbringer (which would also explain the use of the plural).

If he is using Lightweaving then I don't think so.  If she got out of range it would be a big problem.

Edited by Karger

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

If he is using Lightweaving then I don't think so.  If she got out of range it would be a big problem.

Ah, that's true, he could just be an "in-character infiltrator" (as Shallan worries to herself at one point about him breaking character) as a "darkeyed muscly guy who drugs, bags, and hauls people" without needing Lightweaving, just acting ability.

Still, whether Red was in the reckoning or not, her casual mental reference to "her Lightweavers" implies that she has multiple Surgebinders under her direction, whether as squires or junior spren-bonded Lightweavers (and I'm guessing it's the former).

27 minutes ago, robardin said:

as a "darkeyed muscly guy who drugs, bags, and hauls people" without needing Lightweaving, just acting ability.

That would make a lot of sense.  Shallan describes him as tall.  He is probably using a conventional disguise if anything and this does not preclude him from being a squire.  There is also another individual there although I am have trouble pinpointing them(Shallan says nice work you two). 

2 hours ago, Karger said:

That would make a lot of sense.  Shallan describes him as tall.  He is probably using a conventional disguise if anything and this does not preclude him from being a squire.  There is also another individual there although I am have trouble pinpointing them(Shallan says nice work you two). 

Hehehe. As the saying goes, "it was all in your (her) head". That was Veil complimenting Shallan (the persona who concocted the last minute ruse of having "fabrial schematics") and Radiant (who did the commanding, Dalinar-esque icy staredown thing in refusing to hand over the schematics) in their execution.

Edited by robardin

5 minutes ago, robardin said:

Hehehe. As the saying goes, "it was all in your (her) head". That was Veil complimenting Shallan (the persona who concocted the last minute ruse of having "fabrial schematics") and Radiant (who did the icy staredown thing in refusing to hand over the schematics) in their execution.

I thought she might be referencing Red but I suppose your could also be right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, Bzhydack said:

Venlis Order.

what powers?

On 7/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, Bzhydack said:

Maybe more Skybreakers take side of Master Szeth (when he become one).

I think Shalans brothers become Radiants, as well as Shalans servants, like Gaz.

Other Bridgemen become Windrunners of course.

Adolin will become Edgedancer.

I hope for Stonewards. Probably weve met Stoneward Spren (in Shadesmar, in Celebrant, those with grey rock-like skin).

Second Bondsmith too, but I hope it will be Taravangian.

and you speculate based on what info?

2 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:
On 24.07.2020 at 3:35 PM, Bzhydack said:

Venlis Order.

what powers?

Venlis Order is Willshapers, Transportation and Cohesion Surges - Transportation we know, is one of the Jasnahs powers. Cohesion we didnt see yet.

8 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:
On 24.07.2020 at 3:35 PM, Bzhydack said:

Maybe more Skybreakers take side of Master Szeth (when he become one).

I think Shalans brothers become Radiants, as well as Shalans servants, like Gaz.

Other Bridgemen become Windrunners of course.

Adolin will become Edgedancer.

I hope for Stonewards. Probably weve met Stoneward Spren (in Shadesmar, in Celebrant, those with grey rock-like skin).

Second Bondsmith too, but I hope it will be Taravangian.

and you speculate based on what info?

Skybreakers have some free will, when they sworn to serve Idea/Master. Some of them can see Szeth as worthy to follow.

Shalans brothers are broken as she is, and Balat is very, VERY good mach for Dustbringer. Some of her servants are her squires. Also

Spoiler

Red becomes Lightweaver (RoW Chapters)

Spoiler

Bridge Four Windrunners confirmed (RoW Chapters)

Adolin - Maya is Edgedancer Blade.

Last ones are just my hopes, I dont have any info.

3 hours ago, Bzhydack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bridge Four Windrunners confirmed (RoW Chapters)

We see that at the end of book 3.

By the way, what is Teft?

3 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Maya is Edgedancer Blade.

Being that Pattern is the name of Shallan's spren and Hoid finds another Pattern, it seems that each order has its own spren with one name. So if Wyndle is Lift's spren, that how is Maya also a lightweaver spren?

Edited by Hoid the Drifter

4 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Being that Pattern is the name of Shallan's spren and Hoid finds another Pattern, it seems that each order has its own spren with one name. So if Wyndle is Lift's spren, that how is Maya also a lightweaver spren?

That's definitely not how that works. Pattern isn't Pattern's name. His name is numbers. Shallan named him Pattern and he liked it so that's what he goes by. Hoid most likely knows all of that, or he decided independently to use the same name for the same reason Shallan did. The spren he found didn't say its name was Pattern, Hoid just called it that.

Honorspren all have different names. We've met a few of them in OB.

1 minute ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

No. Pattern said, that his real name is to complicated for human, is mathematical formula. So Cryptics do have personal names, they are just wierd.

Other Spren have "normal names". Honorspren. Lightspren. Cultivationspren.

And is confirmed that Maya IS Cultivationspren.

So there are roughly 50 WIndrunners+ squires (maybe 250) although if most of the bridge crews are now squires, could be much larger. I would guess (pure speculations) maybe 25 or so Edge Dancers, they seem to be the second largest group, but likely not as large as the Windrunners. Oh and when I say Windrunners, or Edge Dancers, I mean they have their own spren. A handful of the other orders (5ish), maybe 10 or so Lightweavers. Only 1 Bondsmith for now. That gives us a grand total of maybe around 116. 50+25+10+(6 x 5)+1=116. Then you have maybe 20 sets of dead baldes and plate (they have lost a few between Moash and Elokar). With the coalition having perhaps 40 total. So, just a wild estimate here, compared to the end of Oathbringer, I would say the Radiant/human coalitions combat power has increased by 10 fold, which is why they are in a stalemate with the Fused. In Oathbringer they were just getting Steamrolled. I say 10 fold, because both Kaladin and Seth proved that a trained warrior/surge binder with access to stormlight and lashings can decimate a full shard bearer. 

1 minute ago, KiManiak said:

Has this been confirmed? I thought it was just speculation, with no displayed proof yet?

As I understand it is speculation heavily supported by evidence. Specifically That Red has been undercover in the Sons of Honor. The logic is that Red cannot stay close to Shallan in order to maintain access to his surges since him doing so would likely compromise his cover. Therefore he cannot be a squire. Therefore he must have his own spren. Technically I suppose he could be a Truthwatcher. But with Kaladin all of the Bridgemen bonded Honorspren. So since Red was recruited by and is working under shallan the implication is that he is a Lightweaver

Just now, LordTheodore said:

As I understand it is speculation heavily supported by evidence. Specifically That Red has been undercover in the Sons of Honor. The logic is that Red cannot stay close to Shallan in order to maintain access to his surges since him doing so would likely compromise his cover. Therefore he cannot be a squire. Therefore he must have his own spren. Technically I suppose he could be a Truthwatcher. But with Kaladin all of the Bridgemen bonded Honorspren. So since Red was recruited by and is working under shallan the implication is that he is a Lightweaver

I challenge that there is actual evidence, and just speculation. What surges has Red demonstrated? Why couldn’t he just infiltrate the SoH as himself? He’s not noteworthy enough for the average Alethi to know who he is. If someone was sent to do long term infiltration, wouldn’t the wisest thing be to have them not need to use Illumination on a long term basis? 

I get the speculation and wouldn’t actually be surprised if he does end up being one. But I am reluctant to jump to conclusions right now based upon speculation alone. When Red shows us a Shardblade or mentions his spren or the like, then I’m 100% on board with his Radiance.  

26 minutes ago, KiManiak said:

I challenge that there is actual evidence, and just speculation. What surges has Red demonstrated? Why couldn’t he just infiltrate the SoH as himself? He’s not noteworthy enough for the average Alethi to know who he is. If someone was sent to do long term infiltration, wouldn’t the wisest thing be to have them not need to use Illumination on a long term basis? 

I get the speculation and wouldn’t actually be surprised if he does end up being one. But I am reluctant to jump to conclusions right now based upon speculation alone. When Red shows us a Shardblade or mentions his spren or the like, then I’m 100% on board with his Radiance.  

I agree that it is plausible that Red isn't a Lightweaver. However I disagree with the idea that this is pure speculation. Imo speculation is something that is possible no more no less for example one could speculate that Raoden is on Roshar during the events of Warbreaker. There is no real evidence to support this but it is possible. However the very fact that Red works for Shallan and has worked for Shallan for over a year and that Vathah became a squire in Oathbringer and that Red was also on the Kholinar mission. Is evidence that he is a lightwever. In addition there is the evidence in ROW I outlined above. The evidence is not conclusive but it is significant.

Edited by LordTheodore