How many new Radiants?

Karger

I think it would be cool if Skar became a Stoneward. I mean Renarin is Bridge 4 and he’s a corrupted truthwatcher. 

I keep feeling like Kaladin is headed to bonding a second spren or Syl is some hybrid Honor-Cultivation spren. It just seems like Kal’s plot will be one of rememberence more like an Edgedancer this book. Plus it would be cool to see him get another 2 surges. 

6 hours ago, Innovation said:

Maybe the reason Skar took so long to become one of Kaladin’s squires is because he already was of, or was going to be of, another order. 

I'm warming to this "Skar is a Stoneward" theory. That's a naturally good combination when it comes to Stonewards and Windrunners working together during the conflict instead of competing for the "We're DADinar's Favourite Boys" prize.

Proto-Windrunner, yes, but also possibly a Stoneward. Stonewards are all about strength and Windrunners are all about protection. Not much conflicting there, especially if you use that strength to protect. We do have yet to see a dual Radiant. 

Edited by Innovation

7 hours ago, USS bridge four said:

I'm going to point out that the WOB I posted earlier specifically asks if Skar is proto-windrunner not Drehy. I make this distinction since y'all are pointing out that Drehy was the one that said the ideal and not Skar.

I hope I don't come off as Combative just wanted to point out.  

Solid point about the initial question, and I don’t think your being combative at all, for what it’s worth. I’m just trying to be as specific as possible about what exactly Brandon said, because he can be very crafty when he wants to be. His answer never reinforces proto-Windrunner; it just implies that and allows us to (potentially) form an erroneous conclusion. 

At the end of the day, I’ll be happy to see Skar be a Radiant of whatever order. 

Edited by KiManiak

Huh. That's an interesting catch that Skar never swore on screen. I still lean towards Skar being a WR, but that may be my own familiarity bias. I would hope that we get a Stoneward soon. It sounds like we are starting to get a lot more new radiants, so it doesn't make sense that we would wait for Taln for the Stonewards to start showing up.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Here's hoping we'll see a team of Truthwatchers back in Urithiru

Their spren have been trying to Bond with humans for a while

I'm with you. I want to see some moreTruthwatchers especially since we know that Renarin's spren isn't exactly what it's supposed to be. I'm not sure how this affects Renarin being a Truthwatcher but I figure it's at least got to make him an outlier for all the others.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Here's hoping we'll see a team of Truthwatchers back in Urithiru

Their spren have been trying to Bond with humans for a while

Assuming that one Lift met makes it you should have at least one.  Maye we will get some answers on what their normal powers are.

Yeah that WoB could have been deliberate misdirection.  He's close to but not quite up to Lopen's level because Lopen has been bonded and Skar has not. So what spren has he been in contact with? We know the Honorspren have been observing but we also know the Cognitive world is looking at B4. Three confirmed Honorspren bonds,  one of them the famous Ancient Daughter, one Truthwatcher bond, a renegade Listener, multiple squires and a boatload of honorable activities taking place. Radiance pops up where there are Radiants about. 

If what people are saying is true,  if Drehy spoke the words then no he hasn't.  But even if Skar spoke the words it doesn't mean that they were accepted.  Lopen was speaking the words for days and he went unbonded still. The bond is a contract and if both sides don't agree it isn't binding. Is Skar worthy? I don't think any readers would deny his worthiness.  But it's up to the spren to decide in the Windrunner order. 

6 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

If what people are saying is true,  if Drehy spoke the words then no he hasn't.  But even if Skar spoke the words it doesn't mean that they were accepted.  Lopen was speaking the words for days and he went unbonded still. The bond is a contract and if both sides don't agree it isn't binding. Is Skar worthy? I don't think any readers would deny his worthiness.  But it's up to the spren to decide in the Windrunner order. 

I think the implication with the "we" is pretty strong.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

I think the implication with the "we" is pretty strong.

I thought this too but someone posted a WoB that Drehy spoke it only and that Skar is still only proto,  behind Lopen in advancement.  I wanna say it was this thread but I'm too tired to check, sorry. 

I like the discussion and theorizing about who could be in which order, and don’t want to give the impression that my (or anyone’s) theory about any particular character joining  any specific KR Order is 100% right (or wrong, for that matter).  Skar may end up being a Stoneward, or Windrunner or may just remain a squire for all I know.

But Skar definitely did not swear the 2nd Windrunner Oath onscreen near the end of Oathbringer:

“Kaladin frowned as Drehy returned to the fire and picked up one of the figures there. A child? In rags. Yes, a frightened little boy, maybe three or four years old, lips chapped, eyes haunted.
Elhokar’s son.
“We protect those,” Drehy said, “who cannot protect themselves.”

Excerpt From
Oathbringer
Brandon Sanderson
https://books.apple.com/us/book/oathbringer/id1198279804
This material may be protected by copyright.

You would think that if his Oath was accepted then Brandon would have included some indication like he has with everyone on screen who has spoken an Oath. Where are their spren? Add that to the WoB that Skar isn't quite where Lopen is at the end of OB and that leads me to conclude that Skar is still a Windrunner squire.  We have been told that squireship in one Order does not preclude one from Radiance in another.  So he could become a Stoneward. Or he could become a Windrunner. Or he could just continue to be a squire.  We don't yet know the path, we can only follow and see where it leads.

25 minutes ago, KiManiak said:

Well, I have to admit: My "Skar could be a Stoneward" crazy theory took a serious hit in today's chapters.  Oh well, at least we got the proper spelling for Godeke's name...

Correct on both counts.  I guess we have a cap on Windrunner numbers although Kaladin should up the number of squires.  With fifty 3rd ideal Windrunners he should be able to field several thousand squires.  Also we have no indication of Edgedancers squires.  So I suppose they must be one of the orders that don't get them.

Edited by Karger

48 minutes ago, Karger said:

With fifty 3rd ideal Windrunners he should be able to field several thousand squires.

I'm curious about this. In today's chapters it just mentioned 250 squires and 50 Windrunner Knights -- are they 250 of Kal's personal squires? If so holy wow, that would be *checks calculator over 12,000 squires!!!!!!! I'm sure there has to be some mathematical limitation to the squire setup, right? Curious to see what other info Brandon provides with respect to squirehood.