Chapters 7/8

Pagerunner

First of all: sounds like Laral is single, again.

Secondly, Brandon's answer to the first question in the Q&A is very interesting. He says Oathbringer is an Honorblade. I wonder if he just had a bit of a brain fart, since Oathbringer looks to be a regular old Shardblade. But I'm also wondering if this is a RoW twist he accidentally revealed. I don't think we ever hear Oathbringer scream, do we? Dalinar gets rid of it before bonding the Stormfather (he had Taln's mystery not-Honorblade then), and when he handles it at the end of the book of Oathbringer, he does it with cloth, making sure to not actually touch the Blade. The simplest answer is that Brandon just had a moment of confusion and started expounding on the nature of Honorblades in a question that didn't ask about them. But hopefully someone from Dragonsteel will clarify this for us.

Edit: Upon further research, Dalinar does hear OB scream when he finds where Adolin had disposed of it, although it screams a little bit differently than other Blades.

Dalinar knelt beside it, then took a handkerchief from his pocket and used it to grab the hilt.

Even though he didn't touch the Blade directly, he heard a very distant whine, like a scream in the back of someone's throat. He steeled himself, then yanked the Blade out and set it across the empty planter.

He seized the sword, bracing himself for the screams. The cries of a dead spren. They weren't the shrill, painful shrieks he'd heard when touching other Blades, but more of a whimper. The sound of a man backed into a corner, thoroughly beaten and facing something terrible, but too tired to keep screaming.

Since there were explicitly no screams when Dalinar held Jezrien's Honorblade, that means Oathbringer couldn't have been an Honorblade at this point in time. So if there is a twist, it will be something Dalinar does in RoW to change the Blade.

Edit2: It has been confirmed to be a mistake; I've linked Brandon's comment below in the thread.

Also, ignore the duplicate post below. The board was glitchy, and it's not treating the post below as a reply, so I don't have the option to hide it and trying to edit it looks like editing this OP. So I'm just not gonna touch it so I don't break anything.

Edited by Pagerunner

First of all: sounds like Laral is single, again.

Secondly, Brandon's answer to the first question in the Q&A is very interesting. He says Oathbringer is an Honorblade. I wonder if he just had a bit of a brain fart, since Oathbringer looks to be a regular old Shardblade. But I'm also wondering if this is a RoW twist he accidentally revealed. I don't think we ever hear Oathbringer scream, do we? Dalinar gets rid of it before bonding the Stormfather (he had Taln's mystery not-Honorblade then), and when he handles it at the end of the book of Oathbringer, he does it with cloth, making sure to not actually touch the Blade. The simplest answer is that Brandon just had a moment of confusion and started expounding on the nature of Honorblades in a question that didn't ask about them. But hopefully someone from Dragonsteel will clarify this for us.

Just now, IntentAwesome said:

Am i missing something? Brandon said the first chapters were available digitally, but I have not seen them? I've read part of the first chapter that he released awhile ago, but where are 2-6? I'd rather read them first. 

Yeah, I haven't seen anything. There's a special announcement coming shortly that may be relevant, and the schedule just didn't quite align:

Can someone please tell Brandon that a Kal and Moash reunion is definitely not a minor spoiler at all? I genuinely lost it at 5.30 in the morning the moment I heard hawkish face. Also at chapter storming 7 of Harmony knows how many chapters.

With Moash surrendering, Kal will most likely be forced to take Moash captive which would probably do absolute wonders to his mental health. How will this end up with surgeon!Kal in the interlude? I am both intrigued and absolutely terrified.

Also are Gavilar's Black Spheres definitely the same thing as the sphere in the surge-dampening voidish fabrial?

Lift is with Kaladin so we'll probably get at least a few hijinks. I don't know how the plot will end up with the Lift interlude we got if we assume hers and Kal's are in the same interlude section.

I'm assuming Navani is with Kaladin because he told Lift to give it to her which would be a little hard if she's in Urithiru.

There's a Shallan scene in the chapter. Is it spoilery? Did something happen wherever she is?

Is Brandon assuming the previous chapters are the prologue to chapter 6 or only up to chapter 1? He seems very chill about dropping this whole chapter. Are we going to have the releases in the very near future or do I have to stare wistfully at the SA tag on Tor for weeks to come?

I honestly can't wait for chapter releases because this will be my first and I am ready to he hyped every Thursday/Friday (because time zones) with new content.

Can someone please tell Brandon that a Kal and Moash reunion is definitely not a minor spoiler at all? I genuinely lost it at 5.30 in the morning the moment I heard hawkish face. Also at chapter storming 7 of Harmony knows how many chapters.

With Moash surrendering, Kal will most likely be forced to take Moash captive which would probably do absolute wonders to his mental health. How will this end up with surgeon!Kal in the interlude? I am both intrigued and absolutely terrified.

Also are Gavilar's Black Spheres definitely the same thing as the sphere in the surge-dampening voidish fabrial?

Lift is with Kaladin so we'll probably get at least a few hijinks. I don't know how the plot will end up with the Lift interlude we got if we assume hers and Kal's are in the same interlude section.

I'm assuming Navani is with Kaladin because he told Lift to give it to her which would be a little hard if she's in Urithiru.

There's a Shallan scene in the chapter. Is it spoilery? Did something happen wherever she is?

Is Brandon assuming the previous chapters are the prologue to chapter 6 or only up to chapter 1? He seems very chill about dropping this whole chapter. Are we going to have the releases in the very near future or do I have to stare wistfully at the SA tag on Tor for weeks to come?

I honestly can't wait for chapter releases because this will be my first and I am ready to he hyped every Thursday/Friday (because time zones) with new content.

1 hour ago, IntentAwesome said:

Am i missing something? Brandon said the first chapters were available digitally, but I have not seen them? I've read part of the first chapter that he released awhile ago, but where are 2-6? I'd rather read them first. 

They just came out.

1 hour ago, Hessi's Ward said:

121 if I remember correctly.

Maybe?  I don't think so.

He might be ferrying it back to her and just letter her know who to give it to if something happens to him.  You don't want Lift just giving it to the first guy she meets and the thing getting lost.

We currently have chapter 1.  New chapters will come every Tuesday

Edited by Karger

4 hours ago, Harbour said:

Can someone please give a short summary of what happened in the chapter? English isnt my native language and its hard to listen to the reading without missing the meaning of half of the words.

There's a new edgedancer, but he ran out of stormlight and is injured and a 7ft tall Fused dragged him into a manor as a hostage to bait Kaladin into fighting him in an enclosed space where he can't fly around.  Kal goes in anyway, but a weird voidlight fabrial takes away his ability to surgebind and summon Syl as a weapon, but Kal is still holding stormlight.  There are a couple other regular listeners there as regular soldiers, so Kal takes one of their spears and attacks them.  The fused has a new ability to teleport, but when he does he disappears and is replaced by a smallish ball of light it seems, so as it zips behind him Kal stabs a dagger at where he thinks the Fused will appear and ends up getting him in the neck and taking him out.  Lift also shows up during the fight to drag the injured edgedancer away.  When the fight's done they disable the fabrial and take it for research, and then Lift says she saw some humans get pulled further into the manor (by the way it's on fire, forgot to mention).  Kal goes further inside, sees two guys chained in a far room, but when he gets close he sees their eyes are burnt out, and then moash comes out from behind the door holding a knife to Roshone, and slits his throat.  Then Kal takes out his blade and shouts for Moash to fight him, but he puts his arms up and says he surrenders after taunting Kal for trying to save someone he hated.  Ends there.

I'm not sure it's clear but I think this is Kal's village, based on where the story is in the first chapter released yesterday.  Not sure if I missed something.

1. Well, the obvious question first. What is Moash planning?
  2. The non-obvious but screemingly important question second - How did they know? Who betrayed the mission? Or is this futuresight?
  3. And why is Kaladin wearing his own face while Shallan is there to camouflage him?
  4. Who is this new Edgedancer? Did I get the name right - Godeki?
  5. Was that Fused using the Surge of Transportation or is that something else?
  6. What are the consequences to Kaladin's family and Laral? The Fused will investigate. He really cannot let them stay.
  7. Did I hear this correctly - Rlain is quarter master?
Edited by Oltux72
Relistened and noticed Rlain

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:
  • Well, the obvious question first. What is Moash planning?
  • The non-obvious but screemingly important question second - How did they know? Who betrayed the mission? Or is this futuresight?
  • And why is Kaladin wearing his own face while Shallan is there to camouflage him?
  • Who is this new Edgedancer? Did I get the name right - Godeki?
  • Was that Fused using the Surge of Transportation or is that something else?
  • What are the consequences to Kaladin's family and Laral? The Fused will investigate. He really cannot let them stay.
  • Did I hear this correctly - Rlain is quarter master?

1. This screams an assassination attempt or an attempt to retrieve the Thrill from Urithiru.

2. Malata/Spark? 

3. I assumed he was going to make contact with the resistance in the villagers, maybe to extract the Herdazian general?

4. This is the first I've heard of him. Sounds like he's not on Kaladin's level, but at least as competent as Lift.

5. I assume that was some form of Transportation.

6. Depending on the fallout, the resistance in Hearthstone may not have been discovered. The Fused were hunting Kaladin, not the resistance. Of course, for all we know Roshone was an important figure in the local resistance.

7. I thought he said Leyton, the former apprentice armorer in Bridge 4.

12 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

1. This screams an assassination attempt or an attempt to retrieve the Thrill from Urithiru.

2. Malata/Spark? 

Well, things do not make sense here. We are missing crucial information

1. They had a Fused, a new fabrial and Moash there. They were looking for Kaladin specifically. It is blindingly obvious that the Fused knew of the operation.

2. It is also obvious to the Fused that the KRs would deduce that Moash was not there by accident

3. What mission could Moash have that he can carry out although the KRs must suspect that he is a trap?

4. Why is that mission worth the loss of a Fused, teaching the KRs how to fight a new type of Fused and the loss of a "dampening fabrial"?

3. I assumed he was going to make contact with the resistance in the villagers, maybe to extract the Herdazian general?

Kaladin is a KR. The Fused have no way to forge a living Blade and a human with two Surges. And Lirin would surely recognise his son without a shash mark. The Mink never met Kaladin.

6. Depending on the fallout, the resistance in Hearthstone may not have been discovered. The Fused were hunting Kaladin, not the resistance. Of course, for all we know Roshone was an important figure in the local resistance.

They lost a brand new and tactically highly valuable fabrial. And they just happen to send an insufficient force when they have a chance to strike that hard?
Of courswe they will question the whole village.

7. I thought he said Leyton, the former apprentice armorer in Bridge 4.

OK, so I misheard.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, things do not make sense here. We are missing crucial information

1. They had a Fused, a new fabrial and Moash there. They were looking for Kaladin specifically. It is blindingly obvious that the Fused knew of the operation.

2. It is also obvious to the Fused that the KRs would deduce that Moash was not there by accident

3. What mission could Moash have that he can carry out although the KRs must suspect that he is a trap?

4. Why is that mission worth the loss of a Fused, teaching the KRs how to fight a new type of Fused and the loss of a "dampening fabrial"?

Hmm, so you think the Fused was a sacrifice? That it wasn't actually intended to defeat Kaladin?

I sort of assumed that Moash was there separate from the Fused. If they are on one mission, then I agree this makes no sense. The loss of the fabrial is too high.

If Moash was there by coincidence, or by some separate mission, then I can see him "surrendering" to any KR in order to get passage to Urithiru. Maybe he's being sent to get Ash and Taln? I think Moash doesn't care about avoiding suspicion. He's functionally a dark Windrunner. He needs to learn where to go or where his target is from the good guys, then he'll bug out and kill someone we all love.

Moash surrendering smells like a big wet rat that will cause huge problems for Kaladin's mental health. I have a gut feeling he will be the one causing something that will lead Kaladin to surgeon job. I dont want to think that Kaladin may snap for a second and went on the bloodbath road for another second and then realize what he had done.

14 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

Hmm, so you think the Fused was a sacrifice? That it wasn't actually intended to defeat Kaladin?

If you send such a fabrial into the field, you will not send a weak team and you will train the operators to destroy it before it falls into enemy hands. Five badly trained soldiers? That's a joke.

I sort of assumed that Moash was there separate from the Fused. If they are on one mission, then I agree this makes no sense. The loss of the fabrial is too high.

So Moash just happened to decide to kill Roshone on the day The Mink happens to be there? He just happens to show up the first time a new fabrial is used? And he chooses to confront Kaladin and then chooses to surrender without fighting?

If Moash was there by coincidence, or by some separate mission, then I can see him "surrendering" to any KR in order to get passage to Urithiru.

Without preparation or guarantee he will end up in Urithiru?

Maybe he's being sent to get Ash and Taln?

On the mere suspicion that he would meet them? And if he met them he would do what? Does he really expect not to be searched for exotic weapons? And why does he reveal that he has a Shard Blade by killing two prisoners?

I think Moash doesn't care about avoiding suspicion. He's functionally a dark Windrunner. He needs to learn where to go or where his target is from the good guys, then he'll bug out and kill someone we all love.

And the KRs will let him?

On 7/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, Oltux72 said:

Well, the obvious question first. What is Moash planning?

I think he is torturing Kaladin here.  Mocking the sanctity of his oaths.  Well Kaladin you hate me.  Protect me.  Help me.  Keep your oath Windrunner.  He is trying to stunt Kaladin's growth.  Maybe even break it.  Either Kaladin will be right and in doing so will free/save/kill Moash from his lack of passion or he will be wrong and Moash will destroy the windrunners and help Kaladin see the pointlessness of radiant behavior.  Either way Moash wins.

The non-obvious but screemingly important question second - How did they know? Who betrayed the mission? Or is this futuresight?

Given the size of the mission.  Mr T almost certainly knew.  He could have past it along(good chance Malata is here).  Future sight is a possibility.  It is also possible they new Kaladin would show eventually got wind of something and checked the trap they have had here for a while at the right time.

And why is Kaladin wearing his own face while Shallan is there to camouflage him?

The size of the mission may have meant Shallan could not cloak everyone and even if she did Kaladin needed to ID himself to the resistance.  He also might have been wearing one remember he sprung the trap early when they realized that enemy forces were in the area and looking for him.  Finally remember the brands always poke through.  They are ID enough. 

Who is this new Edgedancer? Did I get the name right - Godeki?

I think so.  Godeki does not sound Alethi.  Maybe they are Azish?

Was that Fused using the Surge of Transportation or is that something else?

I think so.  It is the only surge that really makes sense.

Did I hear this correctly - Rlain is quarter master?

No.  Layten.  They were mentioned as quartermaster earlier.

Edited by Karger

38 minutes ago, Karger said:

I think he is torturing Kaladin hear.  Mocking the sanctity of his oaths. 

It is perfectly plausible for Moash to want to do that. But it means that he expected Kaladin. And that raises the question of why they sent so weak a force that it could be entirely defeated with the distrastrous effect of a novel fabrial falling into enemy hands.

Given the size of the mission.  Mr T almost certainly knew.  He could have past it along(good chance Malata is here).  Future sight is a possibility.  It is also possible they new Kaladin would show eventually got wind of something and checked the trap they have had here for a while at the right time.

Then why are they defeated so soundly?

The size of the mission may have meant Shallan could not cloak everyone and even if she did Kaladin needed to ID himself to the resistance.

Why? Any Windrunner would do. In fact any Radiant would do.

6 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

But it means that he expected Kaladin

He knows Kaladin personally.  He could have hidden around the town and waited for exactly this.

And that raises the question of why they sent so weak a force that it could be entirely defeated

Shallan might be doing something unexpected.  I do think it clear that 1. Void information is incomplete and 2. Kaladin realized they had been made and has them on the back foot.  Basically it was not supposed to happen exactly like this.  Nothing is going to anyone's plan except maybe Moash's.

entirely defeated with the distrastrous effect of a novel fabrial falling into enemy hands.

If they planned on using these in any significant number then the team radiant capturing one is a forgone conclusion.  I also don't think they will be able to recharge it.  They don't have any voidlight available.

Why? Any Windrunner would do. In fact any Radiant would do.

Only Kaladin is known and trusted by the people here.  We don't know how many Windrunners we have and we don't know what the others are doing ATM.  Also Kaladin may have been in disguise remember he attacked first(element of surprise and alerting the his own people that they had been made). 

Edited by Karger

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

He knows Kaladin personally.  He could have hidden around the town and waited for exactly this.

Well, raising the question why his handlers allowed that without questions. Had they known, why let Kaladin's family live freely. And while we are at it, why did Moash not attack Kaladin's family?

Only Kaladin is known and trusted by the people here.

Well, the people there did not expect Kaladin. And The Mink does not know him.

We don't know how many Windrunners we have and we don't know what the others are doing ATM.

So the Radiants are sending in Lift, Godeki and Shallan without backup transport? Not really a well planned mission.

Also Kaladin may have been in disguise remember he attacked first(element of surprise and alerting the his own people that they had been made). 

Lirin recognized him right away.