Terris Village [Era 2 Spoilers]

PleatherDuster

My head is full of Crazy Era 2 Theories, and I'd love to hear your opinions regarding the Village and how they relate to the story and other major players. 

What, if anything, are those Village Terrispeople hiding? Am I wrong in assuming Wax grandmother is up to something? Wax saves a kid from being tortured/killed by Torch, and his Grandma is upset with him about that? They should be giving him a medal! And why did that constable give her bullet of all things!? (my theory is the constable meant for the bullet to fall into the hands of Wax...but that's another issue)

Anyone think they are in cahoots with the Set? A terriswoman attacks Wayne in BoM when they are at the party in New Seran. Wax's sis, Telsin, fit right in in the Village. But....on the other-hand, Suit/Edward seemed to have disdain for them. 

And why do they supposedly like Wayne!? That's the most suspicious piece of all ;)

What do you think?

I think it's more of a cultural thing along with a mix of pride and shame. In many cultures and societies, there's an aspect of "no need for outside influence, we'll take care of our own." When that clearly doesn't work, there's a bit of shame involved, and that's what happened. Wax proved that the Terris people were wrong in how they treated Torch, and it shamed them. That shame was then projected onto Wax, the one who was both of the Terris world and of the outside world. And they can't reward an outsider for being right, nor can they reward a member of the community for handling the situation in a non-traditional way. Ergo, the shame and the negative feelings. 

The Terris people's biggest fault is probably just one given to them by Harmony. He wanted the Terris people to have a place of their own like his homeland in the new world he built, and they turned that into a preservation (and not in the good way). It's a place of stagnation in a world that needs to progress. They see themselves as "better" because they share the culture of their god, without asking how he wants that culture/belief to be shared in the world. Or at least that's how I see it. 

55 minutes ago, PleatherDuster said:

And why do they supposedly like Wayne!? That's the most suspicious piece of all ;)

They probably like Wayne for his Bloodmaking. They're trying to condense their bloodlines back to having a Full Feruchemist (one of the kandra mentioned it in BoM. VenDell, I think.) and F-gold is probably a good place to start with that. 

We know they're trying to consolidate their bloodlines to the point that a full feruchemst might be born again so they probably give off some weird vibes from that alone, since it means some degree of selective breeding and keeping very detailed records on their people. I'm not sure they're up to anything overtly sinister but their somewhat insular nature makes them look suspicious from the outside and if Idashwy is a typical example of someone who grew up in the Village and left, they're probably especially vulnerable to suggestion in the period between leaving and figuring out just how they're going to adapt to life on the outside.

1 hour ago, PleatherDuster said:

Wayne is part-Terris so he's like that cousin who always gets up to some sort of trouble but you love him anyways. I mean come on, it's Wayne, who wouldn't like him? Assuming he hasn't 'traded' something with you recently at least.

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think it's more of a cultural thing along with a mix of pride and shame. In many cultures and societies, there's an aspect of "no need for outside influence, we'll take care of our own." When that clearly doesn't work, there's a bit of shame involved, and that's what happened. Wax proved that the Terris people were wrong in how they treated Torch, and it shamed them. That shame was then projected onto Wax, the one who was both of the Terris world and of the outside world. And they can't reward an outsider for being right, nor can they reward a member of the community for handling the situation in a non-traditional way. Ergo, the shame and the negative feelings. 

The Terris people's biggest fault is probably just one given to them by Harmony. He wanted the Terris people to have a place of their own like his homeland in the new world he built, and they turned that into a preservation (and not in the good way). It's a place of stagnation in a world that needs to progress. They see themselves as "better" because they share the culture of their god, without asking how he wants that culture/belief to be shared in the world. Or at least that's how I see it. 

Well, that all makes a lot of sense. I completely agree....and yet, I'm still suspicious. A lot of emphasis has been placed on the Village. Seems like a situation primed for a Sanderson plot twist. 

1 hour ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I definitely think something fishy is going on there,  but it probably isn't wide spread. I'd bet on a small group of Set members who focus on recruitment and funneling feruchemists to the main body of the Set

I could see that happening. I wonder if Telsin would have been involved with that. We know she was friends with feruchimsts--Idashwy (steelrunner) and Forch. 

42 minutes ago, Invocation said:

They probably like Wayne for his Bloodmaking. They're trying to condense their bloodlines back to having a Full Feruchemist (one of the kandra mentioned it in BoM. VenDell, I think.) and F-gold is probably a good place to start with that. 

That also is an interesting idea, and somewhat related to different Wayne related theory I've been working on. We also know the Set is interested in and able to make Gold/Healing spikes, so that could be a (albeit tenuous) connection between the Set and the Village. 

35 minutes ago, PleatherDuster said:

That also is an interesting idea, and somewhat related to different Wayne related theory I've been working on. We also know the Set is interested in and able to make Gold/Healing spikes, so that could be a (albeit tenuous) connection between the Set and the Village. 

My personal theory on that is that the Set has access to a gold mine they can slip stuff out the back of, and we know they're not afraid of kidnapping beggars and otherwise impoverished people that no one will miss. They're probably just engineering stuff to catch the Feruchemists that fall through the cracks.

29 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

Well, they study Nicrosil and Aluminum out of the public eye. In addition, they are trying to reestablish a Full Feruchemist.

You mean the Set is doing this, right? Or did you mean the Terris? (or both if they are working together!). 

I've also wondered what sort of "research" the Kandra are up to. VenDell mentions that they don't support hemalurgy, but he also suggest that they are still activity experimenting/researching Identity and Investiture. I enjoy imagining what the Kanda research lab might be like...

28 minutes ago, PleatherDuster said:

You mean the Set is doing this, right? Or did you mean the Terris? (or both if they are working together!). 

I've also wondered what sort of "research" the Kandra are up to. VenDell mentions that they don't support hemalurgy, but he also suggest that they are still activity experimenting/researching Identity and Investiture. I enjoy imagining what the Kanda research lab might be like...

Both Village, Set and Kandras study Nicrosil and Aluminum. Considering the Terrismen's appreciation for Kandras, the two probably help each other in this process.

28 minutes ago, PleatherDuster said:

Both Village, Set and Kandras study Nicrosil and Aluminum. Considering the Terrismen's appreciation for Kandras, the two probably help each other in this process.