Fourth Edgedancer Ideal

ReaderAt2046

There's been a lot of speculation about the Fourth Ideal of the Windrunners, but less so about the fourth Edgedancer Ideal. I'm speculating that the Fourth Ideal of the Edgedancers is something along the line of "I will speak for those who have been silenced".

I think this makes a logical progression with the other Edgedancer ideals we've seen. Their Second Ideal is to remember, which is a very passive act (you just have to refrain from forgetting what you already know). The Third Ideal advances from remembering to listening, so now you not only cannot forget the little people but you need to actively be willing to open yourself to their concerns and problems. And then the Fourth Ideal goes from listening to speaking, requiring that the Edgedancer not only be aware of those who others overlook but actively do something to help them.

Thoughts?

"I will speak for those who have been silenced".

Um... but the voice of the subaltern...

I get what you meant to say but there are problems with that approach

How about "I will raise my voice for those who are being silenced", I think that catches what you intended to say here

Edited by Honorless

I have my theory below.  I think oath four will have to do with confidentiality.  The point of oath three is that people who have been ignored generally do speak for themselves even if you don't listen.  If you remember to then you can generally understand them.

Edited by Karger

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Um... but the voice of the subaltern...

I get what you meant to say but there are problems with that approach

How about "I will raise my voice for those who are being silenced", I think that catches what you intended to say here

Yeah, that might be a better phrasing. I saw the issue you raise, but I couldn't think of another phrasing that retains the same elegance.