Hoid's purpose in life

As already mentioned, the short answer is that we don't know and it's one of the biggest mysteries in the Cosmere. We'll learn it... eventually. Dragonsteel's gonna be a long time coming though but it will answer a lot of questions about Hoid, Adonalsium and the Shattering.

9 minutes ago, revelryintheart said:

He's looking for instant noodles.

Truefact: His grudge with Bavadin is because she isolated Taldain, which was the one place where he could get instant noodles for the longest time. Now he's waiting for Scadrial to invent them. (this part is actually true, instant noodles are Serious Business)

Edited by Weltall

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Hoid

On 7/23/2020 at 3:21 PM, Kuram said:

People like to say he's trying to reunite all the shards, but I don't buy that.  I kind of hate the idea that the end-game of everything is to go back to square one.

Yeah but just because Hoid wants it doesn't mean he'll get it - there's plenty of other people with different end goals.

12 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questioner

What's the deal with Hoid and instant noodles?

Brandon Sanderson

...He likes his ramen, right? Like any sane person, he likes his instant noodles. Nothing more than that.

Questioner

...Has he ever had instant noodles?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, he's had instant noodles before. They have them on Taldain, yeah.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Questioner #1

Which world does Hoid enjoy visiting the most?

Brandon Sanderson

Scadrial almost has instant noodles. So he's very interested in Scadrial.

Questioner #2

Is he doing anything to push that along?

Brandon Sanderson

He is not as involved in that as certain other forces are.

Questioner #2

There are forces involved in the developing instant noodles?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, oh yes.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

On 7/22/2020 at 10:51 PM, Weltall said:

Truefact: His grudge with Bavadin is because she isolated Taldain, which was the one place where he could get instant noodles for the longest time. Now he's waiting for Scadrial to invent them. (this part is actually true, instant noodles are Serious Business)

Woah, really? Cool...

51 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

They invented gum, so why not instant noodles?

Because chewing gum is really easy to make (there's evidence of stone age populations chewing an early form of it) but instant noodles are a mid-20th century invention and the Scadrians haven't figured out all the necessary elements yet. They'll get there eventually, it just hasn't happened so far.

Also more broadly, the northerners haven't developed stuff like instant noodles for the same reason they haven't developed better farming methods: They live in such a cushy environment that they haven't needed to innovate. Harmony has figured out that he kind of made things too easy for them, fortunately things are looking to change between the realization that the Southerners have all kinds of Cool Stuff they don't like airships and Sophi Tarscel being a one-woman revolution with steady financial support.

Edited by Weltall

My theory:

Hoid is working to aquire as many magic systems as possible.  We know that he cannot attack other beings.  In addition, he spends a lot of time in disguise/hiding.  He also has a clear goal that he would let worlds burn to achieve.  He also turned down the chance to be a Shard, so it is likely that power alone is not his motivation.  If he isn't seeking power to rule, or power for power's sake, why does he want power?  I think he wants power to protect something or someone.  But from what?  We have a WoB that someone is using Hemalurgy to try to get all the powers they can.  Given that this person is literally willing to murder for powers, they are unlikely to be benevolent.  I believe Hoid refused a Shard to give himself the freedom to move and counter this other individual.  He has access to Fortune allowing him to know where he needs to be to "flap his wings" and change the outcome of a situation to favor his goal.

3 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

except kelsier in the Well?

He can't hurt people physically, though indirect harm or emotional harm doesn't trigger his condition. Kelsier wasn't actually hurt in that fight, but felt pain because be still believed getting punched should hurt him. As Hoid put it afterwards, he doesn't have the inclination to actually harm Kelsier's soul.

Speaking of emotional harm, a scene I'd love to see in the Cosmere in some form, but Stormlight Archive sounds like the best bet so I'll use that as an example.

Renarin: I can't believe you're not pressing charges!
Hoid: Dalinar said the same thing, but really there was no harm done.
Renarin: Taravangian's men broke seven of your ribs and fractured your clavicle.
Hoid: Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.
Renarin: Wit, this isn't funny.
Hoid: I'm serious! Thanks to your help I'm almost completely healed, but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime.