Burning lerasium alloys

Hoid the Former Drifter

Brandon had originally said that there was no way to have more than one Allomantic power without being Mistborn or using Hemalurgy but since then has confirmed that Lerasium alloys can turn people into double Mistings

Questioner (paraphrased)

Could you become a double misting if you took two lerasium/metal alloy beads (I think the example was iron and steel) at the same time?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.
Firefight Phoenix signing (Jan. 21, 2015)

Edited by Honorless

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Yes and if those were the only two powers you cared about doing so would be the best possible use of your lerasium. 

You could get a resonance too as it’s only two powers. The right pick might produce some pretty dramatic results.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:53 AM, MyrmidonOfAchilles said:

You could get a resonance too as it’s only two powers. The right pick might produce some pretty dramatic results.

Would you get a resonance with two Allomantic abilities? I had thought it stemmed from combining an Allomantic one with a Feruchemical one. 

In HoA

Spoiler

did Ruin(pretending  to be Kelsier) give Spook pewter-lerasium alloy?

I always wondered how he manifested his pewter abilities. 

1 hour ago, PleatherDuster said:
  Hide contents

did Ruin(pretending  to be Kelsier) give Spook pewter-lerasium alloy?

I always wondered how he manifested his pewter abilities. 

Spoiler

No, he just spiked Spook with hemalurgic spike, i thout that it was clear said in the book. Cmon, Ruin will not use Preservation power...

@PleatherDuster
Mild Cosmere Spoilers

Spoiler

A Resonance is a Cosmere wide phenomenon in which two magic abilities mix to create a synergy that is effectively a third power.

Ray745

You have stated that each Knights Radiant Order gets their own unique ability, for lack of a better word, due to the combination of their Surges. For instance, you have stated this ability for the Windrunners is strength of squires. My question - is this due to the Nahel bond, or just inherent in the Surges combining. Would a non-Radiant get these abilities from the Honorblades, or would they be out of luck due to no Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! The unique abilities have more to do with the powers interacting, same as how Twinborn will often manifest some odd side effects of the powers interacting. But there are limitations. For example, Jezrien didn't actually have any squires, as none of the Heralds did.

General Reddit 2016 (Oct. 4, 2016)

Argent

So, the Edgedancer's resonance, the Perk? I think you've called it resonance at some point, is that still accurate?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that totally works. The powers affect each other in interesting ways.

Argent

Right.

Brandon Sanderson

Um, so the thing about it is, calling it a Perk, that like saying--

Argent

It's a side effect right?

Brandon Sanderson

It's less a side effect-- It's like, when the powers merge, they are always slightly different. For instance, Lightweaving from a Truthwatcher is different from-- Slightly. There will be things. So, you're gonna see that they all have access to the Surges, but in combinations, they act a little differently from one another.

Questioner

So is the Edgedancer's resonance something to do with communication? Because we see Lift--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah we'll RAFO that.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

However if you hold too many powers of any sort the perk is diluted and nothing distinct emerges:

Yata

There is something that recently was debated by some fans and I hope you may give some clue about the "side effect of interaction between magic" as was pointed in the Twinborn and Surgebinder cases: Are those "perks" stackable? To say if I am a Fullborn like Rashek, wil I have all the possible Twinborn's perks or a specific "Fullborn's perk"? And about the same topic, a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist has his own perk/perks?

Brandon Sanderson

I've worked under the premise that if you hold too many of the powers, like a Mistborn, the result is a loss of these little quirks. The mechanics of it are interesting, but I'll leave you to theorize on that sort of thing.

General Reddit 2016 (Oct. 5, 2016)

Edited by MyrmidonOfAchilles

22 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Cool! So you can have 2 allomantic powers without being controlled by Ruin!

Yes, it's a way to get multiple allomantic powers without needing to spike yourself or be a mistborn. Of course, once unsealed medallions become more widespread there will be another way to get multiple powers.

Edited by Weltall

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

Yes, it's a way to get multiple allomantic powers without needing to spike yourself or be a mistborn. Of course, once unsealed medallions become more widespread there will be another way to get multiple powers.

If F-Nicrosil works the way I think it does, Unsealed Nicrosil will let people swap around metalborn powers at will with no spikes needed, almost like Breath transfer on Nalthis.