Alley Detective Agency

DramaQueen

Hello! This is the Alley Detective Agency thread, as I'm sure you can tell from the title. If you would like to join, please just insert your character into the story, and have them tell my character what they want. Then, she will decide if they are hired or not. If you have a case to be solved, reach out to me either in this thread or via private messaging. Also, feel free to approach me with any questions you may have about this thread and how it works. With that, let's get started!

A  short brunette, dressed in a pale pink blouse and white slacks is determinedly nailing a sign above the door to an old, abandoned warehouse. It reads: Alley Detective Agency--Now Hiring. Though she is in plain sight, no one casts a second glance her way. It's hopeless, she thinks, as she looks around at the people passing by, eager to get out of the alleys. As if anyone will even see it. It had taken her years to get the property, even though it was broken down and abandoned. Leaving the sign hanging by a single nail, she ducks through the doorway, coughing at the dust stirring in the air. She walks over to the desk, the only thing in the building that wasn't falling apart, though that was merely because she had brought it from her apartment. Dragging it down the side of the road had earned her some odd looks. If only she could attract those looks to the agency...

Well, she thought, I might as well clean up while I'm waiting for someone to magically appear. She finished nailing the sign to the door first, then began eliminating the dust bunnies.

Edited by DramaQueen

Nuemark didn't like crowded streets. They reminded him of his shardblade, how easily he could lay about himself with it among noncombatants. Of his pistol, and his precise aim with it. Thoughts he didn't like. Thoughts he didn't want. Thoughts that came anyway. As he strode along the sidewalk, he grasped the butt of his gun under his overcoat, a nervous tick he'd developed. You'd never pull this on an innocent he thought to himself. And he wouldn't, best he could figure, that was why it felt reassuring to feel the weapon in his hand, to know he had the ability to take a life yet only use it for the greater good. He looked over at the building on his left. The sign on its door read Alley Detective Agency--Now Hiring yes, this was the place he had been searching for. He finished his ritual by keeping his hand on the pistol for seventeen more seconds before releasing it, still under the coat, and letting it drop the centimeter or so he had lifted it back into its holster. Then, further straightening himself, pushed open the door and entered the room.

The dusty room was old, possibly the reception area in an old office, though it was hard to tell. Starkly contrasting with the old wood and plaster was the new desk in front of him and the woman in pink and white seated behind it.

"Excuse me, miss, I came here for a job I heard about. A position in a private detective agency?" Said Nuemark, this time keeping his Roughs accent well in control. "If you're interested, I brought my credentials with me."

@DramaQueen

I hope that I described the room and building correctly, if not I can always change it at your discretion. ^_^

2 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

Nuemark didn't like crowded streets. They reminded him of his shardblade, how easily he could lay about himself with it among noncombatants. Of his pistol, and his precise aim with it. Thoughts he didn't like. Thoughts he didn't want. Thoughts that came anyway. As he strode along the sidewalk, he grasped the butt of his gun under his overcoat, a nervous tick he'd developed. You'd never pull this on an innocent he thought to himself. And he wouldn't, best he could figure, that was why it felt reassuring to feel the weapon in his hand, to know he had the ability to take a life yet only use it for the greater good. He looked over at the building on his left. The sign on its door read Alley Detective Agency--Now Hiring yes, this was the place he had been searching for. He finished his ritual by keeping his hand on the pistol for seventeen more seconds before releasing it, still under the coat, and letting it drop the centimeter or so he had lifted it back into its holster. Then, further straightening himself, pushed open the door and entered the room.

The dusty room was old, possibly the reception area in an old office, though it was hard to tell. Starkly contrasting with the old wood and plaster was the new desk in front of him and the woman in pink and white seated behind it.

"Excuse me, miss, I came here for a job I heard about. A position in a private detective agency?" Said Nuemark, this time keeping his Roughs accent well in control. "If you're interested, I brought my credentials with me."

@DramaQueen

You described it perfectly!

The woman looked up from her book at the newcomer. Finally, her spendings on the building, the newspaper ads, and everything else she had done paid off.

"Hello. I am Magnolia Harlance, the owner of this building and this business. If you'll just take a seat," she says, gesturing to a wooden chair in front of the desk, "we can get started." Magnolia slid the book to the side of the desk, then pulled a clipboard and a sheet of lined paper from the drawer on her right. "First of all; your credentials." She holds out a hand for them. "Then, once I've approved these, I'll have a few more questions."

Magnolia knew that she would hire this person, if only because he was the first to show interest, but she had to go through the entire hiring process nonetheless. It was quite tiring, yet worth it in order to maintain her professionalism. The others in this business already looked down on her enough; she didn't want a reputation of looseness. She had to keep up the act, as always.

3 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

The woman looked up from her book at the newcomer. Finally, her spendings on the building, the newspaper ads, and everything else she had done paid off.

"Hello. I am Magnolia Harlance, the owner of this building and this business. If you'll just take a seat," she says, gesturing to a wooden chair in front of the desk, "we can get started." Magnolia slid the book to the side of the desk, then pulled a clipboard and a sheet of lined paper from the drawer on her right. "First of all; your credentials." She holds out a hand for them. "Then, once I've approved these, I'll have a few more questions."

Magnolia knew that she would hire this person, if only because he was the first to show interest, but she had to go through the entire hiring process nonetheless. It was quite tiring, yet worth it in order to maintain her professionalism. The others in this business already looked down on her enough; she didn't want a reputation of looseness. She had to keep up the act, as always.

Nuemark set his briefcase on the desk and released the clasps, opening the case. "Here you are," he said, sliding over a short stack of papers. On top was a sheet containing credentials:

Name: Nuemark Bordeux

Investiture: Knight Radiant: Skybreaker 4th ideal.

Spren: Annette, a quiet and serious yet optimistic Highspren. She rarely shows herself to anyone, even Nuemark unless in shardblade form.

Special Skills and/or additional tools and weapons: A sound tactician. Sleek, mid-size, automatic pistol. It has a single-stack magazine capable of holding eleven rounds and a four inch barrel. Spren, Annette. She turns into a 6 foot long, double fullered, straight blade, as broad as four fingers, with an 'L' shaped spike near the tip and a Scandinavian grind. The spike is about 9 inches long and of a diamond cross section. She has long, slender, quillions and a straight nagel. Bordeux is skilled at fighting with both his pistol and his "Nett-blade".

Experience: Lawman in the Alleyverse for five years.

Guild: Ghostbloods

References: Damon, Talon, Ghostbloods.

Oaths:  

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

I swear to seek justice, to let it guide me, until I find a more perfect Ideal. 

I swear to the will and laws of the Ghostbloods. This is  my Oath.

I will seek out traitors and oathbreakers in the Alleyverse and bring them to justice. This is my Oath.

The remaining sheets were a comprehensive list of cases in which Nuemark had used some degree of detective work to bring down a law-breaker. Nuemark kept a journal where he wrote down the events that occurred during every one of his pursuits of criminals, and these were dittos of those pages which were relevant.

I probably should have made a full and proper resume but I'm a bit pressed for time. Hopefully this will work.

17 minutes ago, Elend Venture said:

Nuemark set his briefcase on the desk and released the clasps, opening the case. "Here you are," he said, sliding over a short stack of papers. On top was a sheet containing credentials:

Name: Nuemark Bordeux

Investiture: Knight Radiant: Skybreaker 4th ideal.

Spren: Annette, a quiet and serious yet optimistic Highspren. She rarely shows herself to anyone, even Nuemark unless in shardblade form.

Special Skills and/or additional tools and weapons: A sound tactician. Sleek, mid-size, automatic pistol. It has a single-stack magazine capable of holding eleven rounds and a four inch barrel. Spren, Annette. She turns into a 6 foot long, double fullered, straight blade, as broad as four fingers, with an 'L' shaped spike near the tip and a Scandinavian grind. The spike is about 9 inches long and of a diamond cross section. She has long, slender, quillions and a straight nagel. Bordeux is skilled at fighting with both his pistol and his "Nett-blade".

Experience: Lawman in the Alleyverse for five years.

Guild: Ghostbloods

References: Damon, Talon, Ghostbloods.

Oaths:  

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

I swear to seek justice, to let it guide me, until I find a more perfect Ideal. 

I swear to the will and laws of the Ghostbloods. This is  my Oath.

I will seek out traitors and oathbreakers in the Alleyverse and bring them to justice. This is my Oath.

The remaining sheets were a comprehensive list of cases in which Nuemark had used some degree of detective work to bring down a law-breaker. Nuemark kept a journal where he wrote down the events that occurred during every one of his pursuits of criminals, and these were dittos of those pages which were relevant.

This works great, thanks!

Magnolia looked over the sheet, mainly just skimming, but could tell that Nuemark was perfectly qualified.

"These seem to be in order. Now, for the questions." Magnolia had not decided what questions to ask yet, so she asked the first thing that came to her mind. "Why do you want this job?"

Very cliche interview question, Maggie, great job, she chided herself. Why didn't I come up with questions sooner?

The truth was, she didn't expect anyone to show up so soon, so the cliche questions would have to do for now.

"Well, seeing as I uphold the law, and justice and such, I have some experience investigating." Nuemark paused. "Now I have made some money doing work for my guild, but seeing as all of the guilds got considerably less powerful this last year; and less power means less funds; I saw that I'd probably be needing at least a side job, maybe more. So I asked around about available jobs in which I could use my talents, as a soldier and a lawman, and wound up here. With how things are going now, I am available full time, but may be called away at any time by my guild for one of our operations. Part of my terms and conditions, the last page I gave you."

@DramaQueen

On 7/23/2020 at 0:04 PM, Elend Venture said:

"Well, seeing as I uphold the law, and justice and such, I have some experience investigating." Nuemark paused. "Now I have made some money doing work for my guild, but seeing as all of the guilds got considerably less powerful this last year; and less power means less funds; I saw that I'd probably be needing at least a side job, maybe more. So I asked around about available jobs in which I could use my talents, as a soldier and a lawman, and wound up here. With how things are going now, I am available full time, but may be called away at any time by my guild for one of our operations. Part of my terms and conditions, the last page I gave you."

@DramaQueen

Sorry! I had to take a break and I completely forgot to come back here!

On 7/29/2020 at 1:06 AM, Sorana said:

Would you theoretically be interested to help to look for someone?

Of course!!! 

Magnolia glanced over the pages one more time before extending her hand to Nuemark. "Alright, you're hired. Since you're my only employee currently, it would be great if you could work on spreading the word to anyone else you might know who would be interested. Also, for now, you can make your own hours. I also have another job, so there may be times when you are here alone. I'll give you the spare key, and just make sure to lock up when you leave. I'll take you through the procedure at the end of the day, you can start working as soon as you're ready. You may want to bring some sort of desk, my apologies on the low supplies I have currently." She looked around the barren room, the only furniture her own desk. "I'll work on getting cabinets, chairs, more desks, everything we might need, but for now, this is it." 

@Sorana @Elend Venture

Edited by DramaQueen

@DramaQueen @Elend Venture
Calarian was walking down the street, munching on one of the Braize Bars he had gotten from Cassandra Adama's shop (they were very good, he put a mental note to get some more once he had money) when he noticed the "Now Hiring" sign on the old warehouse. Hmm, he thought, A detective agency... detectives are regarded as intelligent, noteworthy. Detective Calarian, Calarian: Detective. He played around with the title in his head. Yes, this would be a good job for one of my stature. He, of course, has no detective skills at all, but he could certainly be useful.

He goes up, opens the door, and strides into the front room. Upon seeing the two people standing inside the dusty old room, he asks
"Which one of you is the owner of this establishment?"

@DramaQueen "I am Calarian Kelar, Steelrunner and gentleman, at your service." He goes into a shallow bow, and as he does you notice a slim, sleek spike in his back, right under the neck.

"I noticed the hiring sign, and, and as I am new here and needed a job, I had to investigate."

"Unfortunately, I do not have a paper resume, but I assure you my particular skills will be an aid to you."

Edited by AmazingGoob

@AmazingGoob

"And which 'particular skills' would those be? Please, give me more details. Tell me everything I would need to know as your employer." Including why you have a spike in your back, she thought to herself, hoping that his response would give her an answer.

12 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

"And which 'particular skills' would those be? Please, give me more details. Tell me everything I would need to know as your employer." Including why you have a spike in your back, she thought to herself, hoping that his response would give her an answer.

"Of course. I was a minor nobleman on Scadrial, so I am excellent with money and finances, as well as any sort of social situation. As well as that, I am an excellent shot with my gun," he says as he pats the revolver on his hip. "And, as I mentioned, I am a Steelrunner, though, to be honest mi'lady, I have no experience using it. I got these steel bracelets just now, at a metallurgy shop." He gestures to the steelminds on his wrists. "Though, I got some candy bars at that very shop. Want one?" He digs some candy bars out of a pocket-  'Braize Bars'.

3 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Of course. I was a minor nobleman on Scadrial, so I am excellent with money and finances, as well as any sort of social situation. As well as that, I am an excellent shot with my gun," he says as he pats the revolver on his hip. "And, as I mentioned, I am a Steelrunner, though, to be honest mi'lady, I have no experience using it. I got these steel bracelets just now, at a metallurgy shop." He gestures to the steelminds on his wrists. "Though, I got some candy bars at that very shop. Want one?" He digs some candy bars out of a pocket-  'Braize Bars'.

"No, thank you. You're hired. Just select a place in this room, make it your own, keep an eye out for anything suspicious, read the Alleyverse Post for news and stories, and try to spread the word so we can get more cases." Magnolia could tell that this man was much less qualified than Nuemark, but she was desperate. She was also unsure if he could be trusted. Nuemark had seemed much more open with her than Calarian had.

1 hour ago, DramaQueen said:

"No, thank you. You're hired. Just select a place in this room, make it your own, keep an eye out for anything suspicious, read the Alleyverse Post for news and stories, and try to spread the word so we can get more cases." Magnolia could tell that this man was much less qualified than Nuemark, but she was desperate. She was also unsure if he could be trusted. Nuemark had seemed much more open with her than Calarian had.

He seems momentarily surprised at how quickly he was hired, before composing himself and saying, "Excellent. I will be sure to keep my eye out." He pauses for a moment, before continuing, saying "Oh, and is it alright if I sleep here? I do not have any lodgings at the moment, unfortunately."

So, about pay. Are we going to assume there's a number of smaller, insignificant cases that pay the bills and salaries that we don't RP, and then the ones we actually RP are the ones initiated by the PCs? I'm not sure.

Edited by AmazingGoob

27 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

He seems momentarily surprised at how quickly he was hired, before composing himself and saying, "Excellent. I will be sure to keep my eye out." He pauses for a moment, before continuing, saying "Oh, and is it alright if I sleep here? I do not have any lodgings at the moment, unfortunately."

"I suppose so. There is a boarding house near here, as well, but if you'd rather stay here, that's alright. Just make sure to lock up after the rest of us leave." 

Magnolia checked her watch. "Speaking of which, I'd better head. I have somewhere I have to be. Would you two mind taking care of everything here? Thanks."

She rushes out the door, sending a hasty wave in their direction.

It's farther away than he thought, not a couple of minutes, but instead a little over half an hour. And while he is sure that he knows the way, that he is going the right way, he still breaths out in relief when he sees the building. He found the way. He didn't end up in the wrong place again. Some knot inside of his chest loosenes and his shoulders sag down a little. He still knows his way around Alleycity, just as he is supposed to do. It feel good, very good in fact, especially now that this time he has Freya by his side. To get lost while leading her around - that would be more embarrassing than everything that happened so far.

He stops in front of the door, hesitates for a short moment and then lifts his hand, knocks on the door. "Hello." he calls out. "I, we are in need of your services."

@AmazingGoob @DramaQueen @Spren of Kindness

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

He stops in front of the door, hesitates for a short moment and then lifts his hand, knocks on the door. "Hello." he calls out. "I, we are in need of your services."

Calarian spins around and announces, "Ah! Customers- excellent." He the strides back to the door and opens it, saying, "Greetings! Welcome to the Alley Detective Agency. Please, come in, sir."
"Our boss is out at the moment, but I am sure me and my... co-worker will be able to take your case."

11 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Calarian spins around and announces, "Ah! Customers- excellent." He the strides back to the door and opens it, saying, "Greetings! Welcome to the Alley Detective Agency. Please, come in, sir."
"Our boss is out at the moment, but I am sure me and my... co-worker will be able to take your case."

"We're looking for a man," Freya says.  She turns to Mike.  "Do you remember the description?"

@Sorana  @AmazingGoob

"His name is Xaver." Mike started slowly, tried to come up with a picture, with anything they could use to find him. Nothing. Almost as if the clues, the image remembered was gone completely. A frown crept over his face and he lifted his shoulders a little, as if trying to hide. "No, not Xaver, but something similar."

With a nervous laugh he looked up into the man's face and shifted his weight to his other foot, before deciding to follow the invitation. Turning around now, would make him appear like a complete madman. He stepped into the room and looked around curiously. The agency was relatively new and he hadn't been here so far, but it made a very good first impression, clean and orderly. And the man, he seemed to be competent. One thing after the other. Get inside first, and then, maybe he could recall a few more facts if he wasn't standing outside of a building. A frail hope, but for now he clung to it, clung to the knowledge that he had to, that he needed to find him. If not- something bad would happen. His hands touched his gloves again, pulled a little on their shabby fabrics. Standing here, in this new agency he felt small. A teenager in poor, partially ripped and only badly repaired clothing. His shoes were well worn, the facbric of his pants and shirt frail in places from overuse. He had visited rich places, but always at night, always to steal something. The last time he had walked into such a room, with the lights on, with everybody able to see him had been ages. And yet, here he was. Because - he needed to. And that though alone made him nearly shiver. Something was wrong. Something ws incredibly wrong.

"I'm Mike." he forced a smile on his face and extended his hand in greeting. "I appreciate a lot that you take some time for us."

@AmazingGoob @Spren of Kindness

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

"I'm Mike." he forced a smile on his face and extended his hand in greeting. "I appreciate a lot that you take some time for us."

His eyes inspect the teen and his rather... disheveled appearance. "Yes... Well, you are our first customers. As long as you can pay, we will be happy to find anyone you wish. What information do you have on this man?"

13 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

His eyes inspect the teen and his rather... disheveled appearance. "Yes... Well, you are our first customers. As long as you can pay, we will be happy to find anyone you wish. What information do you have on this man?"

Pay. "How much do you services cost?" Mike asked hesitantly and shifted his weight uncomfortably to his other foot. Somehow he doubted he would be able to pay them.

"I don't mind to tell you - just, maybe let's settle the other parts of it first?" he suggested and tugged on his gloves again. If he couldn't pay him, then he didn't need to spend the time to talk to them anyway.

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

Pay. "How much do you services cost?" Mike asked hesitantly and shifted his weight uncomfortably to his other foot. Somehow he doubted he would be able to pay them.

"I don't mind to tell you - just, maybe let's settle the other parts of it first?" he suggested and tugged on his gloves again. If he couldn't pay him, then he didn't need to spend the time to talk to them anyway.

Scaring away your first customer because of high prices wouldn't be good for business, he thought, even if they are someone of this boy's class. Especially, of they are of this boy's class. News gets around quick like that. "Very well. In any case, I do not know how much it costs, and even if you cannot pay with money, I'm sure there are other ways."

13 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Scaring away your first customer because of high prices wouldn't be good for business, he thought, even if they are someone of this boy's class. Especially, of they are of this boy's class. News gets around quick like that. "Very well. In any case, I do not know how much it costs, and even if you cannot pay with money, I'm sure there are other ways."

Mike shifted his weight again, unsure if he could accept the offer, put himself into this man's debt. If it would be wise. It wouldn't. The moment you were in somebodies dept you had to pay, that was the unwritten rule of the streets. You paid your debts. Your word was the one thing to rely on. You could lie, you could cheat and betray if you were smarter. But if you gave your word, then you gave your word.

Looking over at Freya he hesitated and then nodded. "Alright. I will pay you. If not in chrysts then in something else." And maybe some information about those living inthe crater would be enough. He had contacts there, if they ever needed to find someone - he nearly laughed at his own thought. Why would they be looking for someone in the slums? The thought alone was crazy.

"His name is Xaver or something like that." he started and then hesitated again. "He is taller than I am, and he - " another pause. "He wears a sword." he knew it, knew it with every fiber of his being. A sword. "It was important that sword. He is light." another description, something he had remembered. "Agile, self-confident. Skilled. Creative." Words, words he knew were the truth, but they wouldn't help.

"I can't remember." desperation crept into his voice. "I can't remember, I met him in an alley, he asked for the way, but then - he." Mike stopped, pressed a hand against his forehead, the memory evaporating as quickly as it had come. "I don't know." he added out of anything else. "I will recognize him, but he's, I just don't know anymore. He's important, I need to find him or something terrible will happen, only he can prevent it, there is this darkness, this huge sphere of darkness and I know he can deal with it, but I don't know." he ended with a nearly frustrated shout.

Whirling around he walked a few steps away, breathing heavily, trying to calm himself down. "I am sorry." he added after a while. "I would greatly appreciate it, if you could keep your eyes open I know it's not a lot to start with."