Duralumin and aluminum

This thread probably belongs in the Cosmere Discussion rather than here.

The answer is definitely yes for duralumin:

Paladin Brewer

If a person had the power of Mistborn and other powers like Surges, could he use duralumin to power the Surges?

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

Aluminum goes without saying, as it works as an Investiture sink all over Cosmere

• 4 weeks later...

In Oathbringer, we see aluminium walls can hide the use of some Surges from the alerter Voidspren. We also know that it's very difficult to Soulcast aluminium.

Questioner

So, we know that things can be Soulcast into aluminum. But can aluminum itself be Soulcast into something else?

Brandon Sanderson

It resists all forms of Investiture trying to change it to things.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

ChickenBites

Can you Soulcast aluminum into other materials?

Brandon Sanderson

Aluminum would strongly resist any sort of Soulcasting.

Billy Todd

Would that resistance be overcome? Could be overcome?

Brandon Sanderson

This is the question. Everything can be, right? Aluminum, in the cosmere, was created. And can be created. So, people ask me this, "Can? Cannot?" Like, with a powerful enough magnet in our world, what can you do? Like, is water magnetic? ...But, could you make water respond to a magnet? Yes! You can make anything if you really try hard enough... It's, like, this idea, that when people are like, "Can you, yes or no?" Well... yes! Would it take the power of six Shards of Adonalsium working together? Maybe! Can you? Yes, you probably can. Like, we're talking about a fantasy universe where almost anything is possible, and the impossibilities are contradictions, it's "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" sort of questions when you get into "can you?"

Now, could you Soulcast aluminum using a reasonable amount of energy that an individual could conceivably have in a normal setting and situation? No. If that's what you're looking for.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

Burning aluminium might remove all inhaled Stormlight, hopefully not damage the Nahel Bond.

21 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Burning aluminium might remove all inhaled Stormlight, hopefully not damage the Nahel Bond.

Burning Aluminum doesn't seem to affect innate Investiture so I would guess that it doesn't affect Investiture tied to the Spiritweb. If so then it probably wouldn't damage the Nahel Bond, but that would be a good question to ask Brandon. 

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

What about on Sel? can you forge Ralkalest?

It's literally called the UnForgeable metal, so no. I mean maybe if you had some huge external power source you could apply it could be done a la Forging a hemalurgic spike or the soulcasting example already quoted, but it's not something that's possible under any reasonable set of circumstances.

Edited by Weltall

On 8/19/2020 at 10:15 AM, StanLemon said:

Burning Aluminum doesn't seem to affect innate Investiture so I would guess that it doesn't affect Investiture tied to the Spiritweb. If so then it probably wouldn't damage the Nahel Bond, but that would be a good question to ask Brandon. 

Maybe burning aluminum would allow Hoid to temporarily sever the spren connection to leave Roshar for Scadrial? Who knows..

17 minutes ago, inactive said:

Maybe burning aluminum would allow Hoid to temporarily sever the spren connection to leave Roshar for Scadrial? Who knows..

I doubt it, Vasher has worldhopped multiple times and he certainly didn't need allomancy to do it. Brandon describes this as a trick you have to learn, meaning it's unlikely to be any simple one-off application of a magic system. And we have no reason to think A-Aluminum affects Connection.

17 minutes ago, Weltall said:

I doubt it, Vasher has worldhopped multiple times and he certainly didn't need allomancy to do it. Brandon describes this as a trick you have to learn, meaning it's unlikely to be any simple one-off application of a magic system. And we have no reason to think A-Aluminum affects Connection.

Ya.. on second thought, you are probably right. The spren ditching (if it is even that) should have more to do with connection.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:35 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

if you can soulcast it, why not forge it?

You conceivably can, though it would be more difficult. Forgery uses relatively little investiture compared to soulcasting and you'd probably need a loophole/hack to overcome the issue. Meanwhile soulcasting just needs to have more Stormlight shoved into it.

Edited by Knight Oblivion

16 hours ago, Knight Oblivion said:

You conceivably can, though it would be more difficult. Forgery uses relatively little investiture compared to soulcasting and you'd probably need a loophole/hack to overcome the issue. Meanwhile soulcasting just needs to have more Stormlight shoved into it.

I guess you could techincally Forge a piece of oxide into thinking it has been through electrolysis, but I think you would need extensive knowledge on the metallurgical process for this - which isn't invented in the times we've seen so far... Or maybe you could say it came from a meteorite, that could work..?

On 8/20/2020 at 9:18 AM, Weltall said:

I doubt it, Vasher has worldhopped multiple times and he certainly didn't need allomancy to do it. Brandon describes this as a trick you have to learn, meaning it's unlikely to be any simple one-off application of a magic system.

Vasher is a Returned who doesnt have a spren

he can worldhop anytime/anywhere.

returned, to my knowledge, aren’t like other Cognitive Shadows. 

with someone like Kelsier, he cant worldhop because, his body in the Cognitive Realm is made of Investiture that is tied to Scadrial.

that investiture is tied to scadrial, and Kelsier is that investiture.

with a returned, they’ve had their soul messed with and a Divine Breath attached. But that investiture isnt in the Cognitive or Physical realm. So they can go wherever(as long as they have investiture to feed off of)

18 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

Vasher is a Returned who doesnt have a spren

he can worldhop anytime/anywhere.

returned, to my knowledge, aren’t like other Cognitive Shadows.

The Divine Breath is a Splinter of Endowment meaning it's tied to Nalthis in the same way that a spren is tied to Roshar or Kelsier is tied to Scadrial. Vasher's spiritweb itself might not be bound to Nalthis but the thing that's keeping his body and soul on speaking terms is. We know there's a trick that lets you work around it and we've seen Vasher do it, meaning that he needs the workaround and can't just worldhop at will.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

The Divine Breath is a Splinter of Endowment meaning it's tied to Nalthis in the same way that a spren is tied to Roshar or Kelsier is tied to Scadrial. Vasher's spiritweb itself might not be bound to Nalthis but the thing that's keeping his body and soul on speaking terms is. We know there's a trick that lets you work around it and we've seen Vasher do it, meaning that he needs the workaround and can't just worldhop at will.

I knew there was a WoB like that, before I posted. I can Just never find the right ones when I need them

Edited by Eternal Khol