SheriffHeckTate

Atium Question

8 posts in this topic

I've only read the first Mistborn trilogy and the 11th metal short story so far (and Way of Kings, but I doubt that matters for this), so please no spoilers for anything I havent read yet.

Atium gives it's user the ability to see briefly into the future. So in a fight, you can see the image of what the person is getting ready to do. But if you are currently using Atium and seeing images of your opponent, shouldnt the images disappear slightly before your opponent actually starts burning their own Atium, since your Atium should be giving you the knowledge that they are about to burn it as well? I just dont see a big difference between Atium's ability to tell when an opponent is going to doge left vs when they are going to start/stop burning a metal since both of those are bodily things. 

In the first trilogy, ther one place where this could actually have affected things is Vin's fights with Shan.

Since Vin surprises Shan by turning her Atium back on, Shan should have been briefly warned that Vin was going to start burning Atium again. 

Am I misunderstanding something about Atium's ability here? Is the difference here that movement is something you can see whereas burning a metal isnt?

I believe that Atium only tells you what movements are going to happen around you. It isn't sentient, and wasn't created specifically for battle by ancient scholars or anything like that, and as such it simply continues to attempt to predict their movements, while your opponent does the same, ending in the multitude of shadows that are occur.

TLDR: Yes, it is because you cannot see burning metal.

10 minutes ago, SheriffHeckTate said:

Since Vin surprises Shan by turning her Atium back on, Shan should have been briefly warned that Vin was going to start burning Atium again. 

Not really.  Shan was overconfident.

In my opinion,  the only way atium would warn someone is by showing a multitude of atium shadows. Maybe you are right and Shan is warned a split second before Vin starts burning atrium,  but it would have the same effect. 

57 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

In my opinion,  the only way atium would warn someone is by showing a multitude of atium shadows. Maybe you are right and Shan is warned a split second before Vin starts burning atrium,  but it would have the same effect. 

That makes sense. Just cause Shan might have seen Vin split at the last second doesnt mean she had the ability to get out of the way of Vin's blow.

How about when she killed Zane, though? Should the atium still have warned him?

49 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

How about when she killed Zane, though? Should the atium still have warned him?

Technicly, it warned him. But too late.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, Bzhydack said:

Technicly, it warned him. But too late.

This. Atium only shows a moment into the future and in fact that would be hard to make use of without the secondary part of Atium (and technically all metals) that expands the mind in order to accommodate that information. But it is still only a slight moment into the future. So if a sudden split happens to their Atium shadows when the Atium user knows (in Zane's case) or "knows" (in Shan's) that the opponent can't see into the future it's going to take them by surprise.