There is a forest near Kaltii, just within Arelon above the Duladel border. That much is known to any school-child. Some people, perhaps, have even heard rumors about the forest and what lies within, for it is deep and dark and not often entered.

But none knew about the place at the heart of the forest. No one had set sight there for centuries on the beautiful structure at its center. None who lived to tell the tale, at least.

Not until now.

Today we have found it. The pyramid at the center of the forest, built by some ancient civilization a very long time ago. We don't know what it's for, or who built it, or even what they worshiped. (I hope that it is a temple to Domi, myself, even though it looks like no temple I have ever seen.) But we know that it is beautiful, and that we have much more yet to learn.

Tomorrow we will enter the pyramid at first light, and endeavor to learn more of this ancient people and their ways. The younger ones are spinning tales of traps and curses, horror stories of old kings' graves, but I am not worried. Merciful Domi will guide our way.

- from the diary of Father Dedan

Quick Fix 46: Mysteries within Secrets is officially (finally) up for signups! :D Please sign up below with your name and character, or let me know if you'd prefer to spectate. @little wilson is the IM for this game, so please contact her if you have any issues. The game will start July 27th, specific time TBD but probably at least a few hours earlier than the time of this posting.

The rules are here in pretty doc format, and listed below as well. Any clarifications (no matter where they're asked) will be added both here and to the doc (though I don't anticipate too many, given the simplicity of the rules). Note that this game will need a minimum of 20 players to run smoothly. I don't anticipate having fewer than that, but if it occurs I'll run something else. Please don't make me do that. :P

(The flavor of the game will make a little more sense with the opening writeup of the game. If you want to RP pre-game, you can go in the ziggurat! You'll already be inside for the opening writeup.)

Factions

Korathi: You're certain in the faith of your fellow Korathi, but you suspect some Jeskeri hiding among you who may have weaker faith than you. Being Jeskeri isn't a problem, exactly, but lack of devotion most certainly is.

Docs: None

Win condition: You win when every Jeskeri Practitioner is dead. (This does not include Jeskeri Cultists.)

Jeskeri Practitioner: You just want to survive and practice your religion, even if you have to hide it from the paranoid Korathi, but someone has been practicing the Mysteries again and desecrating this sacred place - not to mention terrifying the Korathi. You have to root them out, before it’s too late. You have access to the Jeskeri inquisition.

Docs: Jeskeri doc

Win condition: You win when every Jeskeri Cultist is dead.

Jeskeri Cultist: You are tired of this hiding and tolerating and pretending to be other than who you are. The Mysteries are sacred and beautiful, and anyone who rejects them is unfaithful and must be sacrificed. You have a group kill each cycle. The last order sent in will be accepted. 

Docs: Jeskeri doc*, Cultist-only doc

Win condition: You win when every non-Cultist is dead.

*At least one Cultist will be hidden among the Korathi, and will not be known as Jeskeri nor have access to the Jeskeri doc. The Korathi Cultist(s) will make up less than half of the starting Cultist team.

Jeskeri doc: Contains every Jeskeri Practitioner and Cultist (see exception just above). Non-anonymous; all names will be listed at the top and each player must choose a distinct color and keep to it. Editing others’ text is forbidden. 

Every player who has access to this doc also has access to the Jeskeri inquisition. They may submit a vote in their GM PM each cycle (votes declared in the doc but not PM will not count), and the highest-voted player will die at the end of the cycle just as in the standard inquisition. Votes will be revealed in the Jeskeri doc at the start of the next cycle.

Housekeeping

• Rollover: 23 hour cycles with 1 hour for rollover, time TBD.
  • Inquisitions: One vote minimum; tied inquisitions are decided randomly (in both cases).
  • Inactivity filter: Two consecutive cycles of no posting in thread will result in death (unless forewarned).
  • PMs: Open, one-on-one, must include the GM. Copy-pasting any PM or doc content into any other location is forbidden, including the Cultist doc
  • Writeup: Death types will be distinguished. If you take anything in the writeup to have any game-relevant information whatsoever, you are wrong. :P
  • There are no secrets. All win conditions are game-ending.

Player List

Spoiler

1. Ashbringer - AraRaashe
2. Haelbarde -
3. Kasimir - Kiean
4. Devotary of Spontaneity - Serenken
5. TJ Shade - Aanalan
6. Lord Silberfarben - Ashen Silberfarben
7. Young Bard - Reolene
8. Gears - Kiati
9. Straw - Shao
10. Matrim's Dice - Dasehe
11. Xinoehp
12. Mist - Tamai
13. StrikerEZ
14. Young Pyromancer - Mancia Young
15. Lotus - Sun
16. Drake Marshall - Merryn
17. Vapor - Grace
18. Frozen Mint - Hinari
19. Sart - Sevat
20. Illwei - Avanae
21. Elkanah

Quicklinks

Edited by Elandera

First!

I be doing this.

Edit: you know what, I’m bringing Faleast into this. I’ll be RP’ing as Faleast, an old Arelonian who has a fascination for the Mysteries, and seeks for any sign of a Connection to the Dor.

If the next LG signups come before he ‘dies’ again... er... time travel!

Edited by Ashbringer

Time is really gonna be an issue, sigh.... I'm gonna aim for 1-2 posts a day, that's it, and will be sticking to my usual RP as a way of encapsulating discussion style, which is going to be a pain, but oh well :P I don't hold any blame for if my RP gets weird because my friend is still screaming to me over Dark and I'm gone.

I'll be playing Kiean, one of the expedition's porters (man's gotta eat, right?), who is quite certain he's the Only Sane Man out here, even as things start to...fall apart around him.

52 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Incoming question: is the Inquisition the lynch, or is it a Jeskeri kill based on votes in addition to the lynch? I don’t understand what it’s supposed to signify.

There are two inquisitions, which is just a flavor word for lynches. You can think of them as completely interchangeable. In normal SE terms, there's a lynch in the thread (the Korathi / public inquisition, which everyone gets to vote in just like normal) and then a secondary lynch in the Jeskeri doc (well, technically votes are sent to me in PM, but the vote count is revealed in the Jeskeri doc and only people in there get to participate) - you could think of that as a votes-based kill if you like, since there's no effective difference in game, but given that the Jeskeri are not a unified group I think a lynch is the more appropriate framing. Does that help? 

I just read the rules for this, and I'm now really curious to see how this goes down. Signing up as Reolene.

...I typed up a whole bunch of thoughts and potential strategies for each alignment, but on second thought, I am far more interested in seeing what each alignment chooses to do for themselves rather than letting them copy off of my notes. :P

3 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

Thanks, I'm ok though!!

After spectating, I realized I wasn't too interested in this game. Sorry, have fun!

That's alright! Not a problem.

@Elbereth, can the Jeskeri vote to kill a Korathi through their Inquisition? If not, I'm not sure how they can eliminate the Korathi Cultists other than the public Inquisition. 

16 hours ago, Elbereth said:

The game will start July 27th, specific time TBD but probably at least a few hours earlier than the time of this posting.

3 hours ago, Frozen Mint said:

When does the game start?

15 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

That's alright! Not a problem.

@Elbereth, can the Jeskeri vote to kill a Korathi through their Inquisition? If not, I'm not sure how they can eliminate the Korathi Cultists other than the public Inquisition. 

They cannot, and that's correct. (That is one of the things in the category of 'should this be changed? who knows???'. :P) That's a large part of why the Korathi are limited to less than half of the team in total - that's essentially me explicitly saying that there will be at least one but not very many.

13 hours ago, Straw said:

I'll sign up as Shao. I lost a bet to Elbereth so I have to play this game with multiple personalities. Should be interesting. :P

I legitimately forgot you had to do that. :P This'll be fun.