God metal alloys

Hoid the Former Drifter

If it can happen, if I had unlimited Lerasium I would make alloys of lerasium and everything except aluminum and gold. Who needs those? (Unless I was also a gold Ferring, then I would also be a gold misting. I don't want to wipe my metals though.)

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

If it can happen, if I had unlimited Lerasium I would make alloys of lerasium and everything except aluminum and gold. Who needs those? (Unless I was also a gold Ferring, then I would also be a gold misting. I don't want to wipe my metals though.)

Aluminum can be useful for healing certain injuries, like 

Shadows for Silence spoiler.

Spoiler

Shade touches

On 21/07/2020 at 11:07 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

What would be the point in making an alloy of lerasium if you could be a mistborn from the pure metal? Also, do the alloys of the metal have other hemalurgic abilities?

You are already a Mistborn and do not trust the future recipient of the alloy sufficiently to dare make him or her a Mistborn. Or you want to retain the bulk of the metal for other uses or trade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Frustration said:

Aluminum can be useful for healing certain injuries, like 

Shadows for Silence spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Shade touches

That would mean that the "silver" is really aluminum, correct?

On 7/28/2020 at 6:21 AM, Oltux72 said:

You are already a Mistborn and do not trust the future recipient of the alloy sufficiently to dare make him or her a Mistborn. Or you want to retain the bulk of the metal for other uses or trade.

or maybe you want to become more proficient in one or two metals?

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:
Spoiler

That would mean that the "silver" is really aluminum, correct?

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell spoilers

No. Silver is silver, and might have some inherent property in the Cosmere

(Stormlight OB spoilers)

Spoiler

The price of the silver chain in Shadesmar

(Cosmere spoilers: from WoBs)

Spoiler

The city of Silverlight

Aluminum resists Investiture, and so could be used to stave off harmful Investiture effects, like the Shades.

Here's the WoB that aluminum would work against Shades:

Spoiler

Kurkistan

If you're on Threnody and you get withered by a shade, are you better off burning Allomantic aluminum, or tapping Feruchemical gold?

*laughter*

[clarification on the question]

Brandon Sanderson

They would both work pretty well. I would say if you burned aluminum, that would kind of have the effect that you are wanting it to have, which is the effect-- negating and sucking out, so that's probably safer. But the gold would work, too.

Kurkistan

So would it be fair to describe withering as a kind of cancerous Forging-

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Kurkistan

That just kind of slowly takes over your soul?

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

Just an unrelated, but sort of related question. At the end of Hero of Ages, Sazed's note to Spook says that there are 2 more metals that no one knows about. Aren't there 4 more? Nicrosil, Chromium, Cadmium and Bendalloy? Did Saze not know at this point that Atium and Malatium weren't part of the core 16 allomantic metals, or is this a typo?

22 hours ago, Mage said:

Just an unrelated, but sort of related question. At the end of Hero of Ages, Sazed's note to Spook says that there are 2 more metals that no one knows about. Aren't there 4 more? Nicrosil, Chromium, Cadmium and Bendalloy? Did Saze not know at this point that Atium and Malatium weren't part of the core 16 allomantic metals, or is this a typo?

Maybe someone does know about 2 of those? Just not the reader or Spook. The Southern Scadrians? Maybe they knew about 2 of the 4 unknown. So there would be 2 left? My guess is Brandon hadn’t completely finalized Allomancy at that point, maybe he didn’t know he was going to exclude the god metals. 

Also, what is the final count for metallic art metals? 
16 core
16 atium alloys
16 lerasium alloys
2 god metals

So that’s..50?

but then isn’t Harmonium a thing too? Or ettmetal or whatever? Those are the same thing right? If that’s a god metal, could it alloy the base 16 too? Is the total actually 67? (50 + 16 harmonium alloys + harmonium.) 

3rd question, can you alloy the god metals together? Atium + Lerasium for example. Would it make a metal that turns someone into an Atium Misting or would it do an unknown temporal/mental Atium alloy thing? Which god metal takes precedence? My guess is that you either can’t alloy them at all, or Atium + Lerasium makes 2 different metals depending on the proportions. 

27 minutes ago, Danex said:

Maybe someone does know about 2 of those? Just not the reader or Spook. The Southern Scadrians? Maybe they knew about 2 of the 4 unknown. So there would be 2 left? My guess is Brandon hadn’t completely finalized Allomancy at that point, maybe he didn’t know he was going to exclude the god metals. 

16 core
16 atium alloys
16 lerasium alloys
2 god metals

So that’s..50?

but then isn’t Harmonium a thing too? Or ettmetal or whatever? Those are the same thing right? If that’s a god metal, could it alloy the base 16 too? Is the total actually 67? (50 + 16 harmonium alloys + harmonium.) 

3rd question, can you alloy the god metals together? Atium + Lerasium for example. Would it make a metal that turns someone into an Atium Misting or would it do an unknown temporal/mental Atium alloy thing? Which god metal takes precedence? My guess is that you either can’t alloy them at all, or Atium + Lerasium makes 2 different metals depending on the proportions. 

Ok so... lemme get this straight
it could be:

base 16
+ atium
+ 16 base & atium alloys
+ lerasium
+ 16 base & lerasium alloys
+ harmonium
+ 16 base & harmonium alloys

... + Atium & lerasium alloy? (leratium?)
+ 16 base & leratium alloys??
+ Atium & harmonium alloy?? (Atonium??)
+ 16 base & atonium alloys???
+ lerasium & harmonium alloy??? (Lermonium???)
+ 16 base & lermonium alloys????
+ Leratium & harmonium alloy???? (Leramotium????)
+ 16 base & leramotium alloys?????

And then whatever the heck Trellium does to this rusting mess.

Edited by Halyo_Alex

1 hour ago, Danex said:

16 core
16 atium alloys
16 lerasium alloys
2 god metals

So that’s..50?

46 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Ok so... lemme get this straight
it could be:

base 16
+ atium
+ 16 base & atium alloys
+ lerasium
+ 16 base & lerasium alloys
+ harmonium
+ 16 base & harmonium alloys

... + Atium & lerasium alloy? (leratium?)
+ 16 base & leratium alloys??
+ Atium & harmonium alloy?? (Atonium??)
+ 16 base & atonium alloys???
+ lerasium & harmonium alloy??? (Lermonium???)
+ 16 base & lermonium alloys????
+ Leratium & harmonium alloy???? (Leramotium????)
+ 16 base & leramotium alloys?????

And then whatever the heck Trellium does to this rusting mess.

And then you have the other shard metals and the proportions, changing the percentage of Atium to Lerasium could have verious effects. 

38 minutes ago, Frustration said:

And then you have the other shard metals and the proportions, changing the percentage of Atium to Lerasium could have verious effects. 

Let’s just settle for too many to count. Honestly, this is really exiting that there is a lot of possibilities, but my brain would implode with the possibilities.

Oh and we forgot that Lerasium could be alloyed with each of the atium alloys to make atium alloy mistings. Like a Malatium misting, for example. 

this is insane

Brandon needs to release a spreadsheet or something. 

On 8/9/2020 at 11:36 PM, Danex said:

Oh and we forgot that Lerasium could be alloyed with each of the atium alloys to make atium alloy mistings. Like a Malatium misting, for example. 

this is insane

Brandon needs to release a spreadsheet or something. 

Rust and Ruin, yes.

Brandon has said that he wants to save godmetal alloys for in-book reveals and he hasn't nailed down all of them just yet. Also that the feruchemical applications of godmetal alloys are going to become more relevant in Era 3.

Questioner 1

Are you ever going to release the other 16 alloys with the god metals? Did you decide?

Brandon Sanderson

Maybe.

Questioner 2

Are you not releasing them because you're still trying to-- you don't want to pin yourself down just in case?

Brandon Sanderson

It's part that, but part I know. The more I release, the more distracting it is from the stories and it also prevents me from using them in the stories as reveals.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

SquishyMouth

Godmetal alloys in Era 1 feel a bit like an unfulfilled promise, can you tell us about the attribute stored in a metalmind made out of any atium/lerasium alloy?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not yet. (This is something I intended to get to in Era 3, and am saving for it.)

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 22, 2018)

Khriss teases in this direction in the Era 2 Ars Arcana when she mentions that each godmetal could produce another sixteen metals with their own allomantic/feruchemical powers, but as nobody has lerasium or atium they can't experiment.

Randomly, I get this funny mental image of Khriss popping back into a world after being away for a few centuries, seeing how knowledge of the magic has progressed and (after nerding out) realizes that she's gonna have to rewrite her essay yet again. :D

Edited by Weltall

On 8/9/2020 at 6:52 PM, Frustration said:

changing proportions shouldnt have an effect - we know normally in allomancy the alloy proportions need to be precise, or close to precise to work.  change the proportions of tin and copper in your bronze and you dont end up with a different effect, you end up with a splitting headache or even sick/dead for trying to burn a non-pure metal.  godmetals could be different, but I wouldn't expect it.

You also have to take into account whether or not the godmetal from an intermigled shard (like harmony) is the same as the alloy of the godmetals of the shards that were intermingled to create it (e.g. is harmonium the same thing as a lerasium/atium alloy?) as well as the question of whether alloying multiple godmetals together produces different effects (e.g. lerasium+atium is probably a thing, and lerasium + trellium likely is too, and probably atium + trellium, but what about lerasium + atium + trellium?  and is that different from trellium + harmonium?  is harmonium + lerasium a thing? etc).  I did the math on it once, and i think I ended up with there possibly being thousands of combinations

11 hours ago, Dunkum said:

You also have to take into account whether or not the godmetal from an intermigled shard (like harmony) is the same as the alloy of the godmetals of the shards that were intermingled to create it (e.g. is harmonium the same thing as a lerasium/atium alloy?) as well as the question of whether alloying multiple godmetals together produces different effects (e.g. lerasium+atium is probably a thing, and lerasium + trellium likely is too, and probably atium + trellium, but what about lerasium + atium + trellium?  and is that different from trellium + harmonium?  is harmonium + lerasium a thing? etc).  I did the math on it once, and i think I ended up with there possibly being thousands of combinations

We know for sure that Harmonium/ettmetal is not the same as Atium+Lerasium alloy:

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)
#12 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

If I were to alloy atium and lerasium, would I get harmonium? Or is harmonium different after the Shards combined?

Brandon Sanderson

It's different after the Shards combined.

Questioner

If I was to take harmonium and separate it out through distillation, would I get lerasium and atium or something that functions similarly?

Brandon Sanderson

No, you would-- It actually has become a different--

Questioner

Can't be split?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I mean, you could find a way, but you're not going to get it through normal, mechanical means.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

I thought that was DragonSteel.

Confirmed by Brandon to be silver

mraize7

u/mistborn I know you were writing the sequel to [Sixth of the Dusk]. Any progress on Threnody's novel? 

Brandon Sanderson

Just some vague ideas here and there. Nothing too specific. Silver chain in Oathbringer is from Threnody, though. (They use them in Silverlight too.) I'll get a chance to explain what they are eventually. (I hope.)

General Reddit 2019 (Aug. 22, 2019)

So, counting 4 godmetals( atium, lerasium, trellium and harmonium) and adding the 16 basic metals and their alloys to those 4 I'm getting 94 metals. If I assume alloys of godmetals are allomantically active and can be alloyed to the basic 16 as well then the total amount goes up to 170. And I'm steel thinking godmetals from other shards could be allomantically active; if that were the Chase  we get 2601 different types of metals( assuming Trell is one of the 16 shards) That is steel considering only two godmetals can be alloyed, if three or more can then I don't even wanna considered the amount of possibilities. That is too crazy. I know Sanderson is a worldbuilding Genius but I doubt Even he knows what this thousands of metals do, probably not Even the first 170 I mentioned. I do hope that we do get to know more about the 94 that come from alloys with the most Scadrial invested godmetals in future eras. Anyway, really excited For the future of Mistborn!!!

2 hours ago, Shardsplinter said:

So, counting 4 godmetals( atium, lerasium, trellium and harmonium) and adding the 16 basic metals and their alloys to those 4 I'm getting 94 metals. If I assume alloys of godmetals are allomantically active and can be alloyed to the basic 16 as well then the total amount goes up to 170. And I'm steel thinking godmetals from other shards could be allomantically active; if that were the Chase  we get 2601 different types of metals( assuming Trell is one of the 16 shards) That is steel considering only two godmetals can be alloyed, if three or more can then I don't even wanna considered the amount of possibilities. That is too crazy. I know Sanderson is a worldbuilding Genius but I doubt Even he knows what this thousands of metals do, probably not Even the first 170 I mentioned. I do hope that we do get to know more about the 94 that come from alloys with the most Scadrial invested godmetals in future eras. Anyway, really excited For the future of Mistborn!!!

Alright, now for the million dollar question: is DragonSteel allomantically viable?