Long Game 67: The Road to Urithiru

Straw

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to withdraw - a text from work just came through and the next few weeks are gonna be more coarse and rough and irritating than Anakin's line about sand. I was looking forward to this game too :/ But I don't think I can juggle my commitments and GM and play a game at the same time, however low-commitment I intend to be. So I guess Kamemesir will return some other game.

Cheers and have fun:

Spoiler

H2Q5.gif

^ Hey, I know that guy!

Since my character being amalgamated by a kandra gives me an excuse, Faleast will probably be my dedicated LG character. So he’ll probably technically “survive” anything that gets thrown at him (unless he ends up in Odium’s crosshairs or something), but he’ll behave and play dead if “killed” in game.

That should be fairly obvious (and allowed, I hope) OOC, but just letting you all know in case that doesn’t really work.

Plus it’s really quiet right now and I’m bored.

9 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

^ Hey, I know that guy!

Since my character being amalgamated by a kandra gives me an excuse, Faleast will probably be my dedicated LG character. So he’ll probably technically “survive” anything that gets thrown at him (unless he ends up in Odium’s crosshairs or something), but he’ll behave and play dead if “killed” in game.

That should be fairly obvious (and allowed, I hope) OOC, but just letting you all know in case that doesn’t really work.

Oh yeah, this is definitely fine. People have done stuff like this all the time! @Orlok Tsubodai Has a character (I believe his name is Locke Tekiel) that he plays in most Scadrial games, and maybe some other games? Having characters in multiple games (despite dying) is not a new thing! :)

9 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

^ Hey, I know that guy!

Keeping the same characters has been very common for many people, so yeah. In fact, Orlok's character in this game, Locke, dates all the way back to MR6.

Cool. I’m just going to try it more linear-ly, so Faleast is keeping his Nicroburst spike, and if he becomes a Radiant he’ll keep that, and so on and so on, collecting random bits of Investiture like a certain other white-haired man we all know... :P

Although I may generate a Bloodmaker spike just so I can justify him taking a Shardblade to the face...

I just want it to be more clear that Faleast is acting “undercover” and mostly won’t be RP’ing as a mostly-unkillable Kandra. Unless he gets to kill things. That’s AraRaash’s department.

Tinoka had grown fond of Alethkar, even despite the unfortunate circumstances of her arrival there. It really had been quite unfortunate timing, this Desolation. Of course the entire world would start ending right as she was making her way to Kholinar as part of a dignitary group to discuss Azir-Alethkar relations. Then, the Everstorm blew in just after the passed Kelethar, and everything fell apart at that point. Tinoka had just barely survived the raid on their group by the flying parshmen, and had eventually found another group of refugees making their way towards the Shattered Plains and after that Urithiru. They had just arrived at the camps near the edge of the Shattered Plains, and they were about to begin their journey towards the Oathgate in the middle of the plains. She hoped they would survive their long and treacherous journey. 

If you can't tell, Tinoka is my RP character. :) 

Edited by StrikerEZ

After the main part of the Highstorm passed, your group ventured out onto the plains, with your spheres fully charged. It will be a long journey to the Oathgate in the center of the plains.

GM Notes:

-The day will end on July 3rd, at 1:00 PM EST.

-There will be no pinch hitters.

-Remember that there is no vote minimum, and that ties are random.

-If you need a vote count, just @mention me and I'll give you one ASAP!

-Little Wilson is the impartial moderator for this game.

-If you did not receive a GM PM, let me know ASAP!

-All Knights Radiant have gained two charges of Stormlight. If used, they will be recharged during the next Highstorm, which will be on D4.

-PMs are closed!

Player List:

Edited by Straw

The following is a quick analysis of the game mechanics that I wrote yesterday. My apologies for writing 1,000 words of analysis for you to slog through. For your convenience, I will put my RP into a separate post.

Stormlight: Knights have 2 charges per 3 cycles. This means that a Knight will only be able to act twice in this period, whether that be twice in one night or spread out over many nights. One could instead save one’s Stormlight and so have enough to act more than twice in a 3-cycle period. Squires only have 1 charge per 3 cycles, so be very miserly with your charge.   

Surges: There are 4 Surges that manipulate actions [though 2 of them double as vote manipulation], 2 Surges that prevent the manipulation of actions [though 1 of them doubles as vote protection] 1 Surge that scans alignment/Surges, 1 Surge that opens PMs, 1 Surge that kills, and 1 Surge that protects from kills. All but Division, Progression, and Transformation can be used on either turn. Division and Progression, being kill-related Surges, are understandable, but I can only assume that Transformation is thus restricted to prevent an aspiring Radiant from discovering two Diagramists [How do you spell this storming word‽ I’ve mimicked how Straw spells it, but it looks so wrong with one “m” or 2!] in one cycle. There are no Surges that scan actions, so you are welcome to act however you wish without fear of retribution by an all-seeing eye. 

Adhesion: A roleblock or vote removal. If a player is preforming two actions, this will only stop one of them. The vote removing seems a little more useful, at least initially, as one does not know what actions an individual might take whilst one knows with much certainty how an individual is voting, but to each their own.

Gravitation: Makes self and target immune to vote and action manipulation. Note that targeting another is completely optional. This is probably best used in conjunction with an action from either the self or the target that one would not want to be mysteriously vanished or redirected and a lynch one wishes to ensure. Both is better, as you get the most use out of your Stormlight, but if the circumstances do not allow it, feel free to use this when at least one of the conditions are met, or whenever you feel like it. This guide is not the boss of you.

Division: A kill. To ensure the kill is safe, one should have access to Gravitation or Abrasion. If one is a squire with this ability, tough luck. You’ll just have to attempt murder without the safety that comes from knowing you were successful. Maybe you could find a person with Gravitation willing to help you out. 

Abrasion: Makes self safe from action manipulation. As this targets the self, one should either have a useful action in conjunction with this or just want their vote to go through untouched. Given that this is a Radiant ability, one would have either the Surge of Division or Progression as well [unless you are a squire, poor thing] which would both benefit by being protected from manipulation. No one wants their kills and protects being vanished in the night or thrown about like a molten [Does anyone else pronounce “molten” like “moltent”?] potato. 

Progression: You save a player from death! Or just stand over their bed in the night like a creepy stalker while nothing happens at all. Sometimes, if you are redirected by that pesky Transporter or get bamboozled by that tricky Cohesionist, you go to the wrong tent. That conversation is awkward in the morning. If you don’t want to forget what you were trying to do [Tension/Adhesion] or go to the wrong tent [Transportation/Cohesion], maybe you should possess Abrasion or get in touch with a Gravitationist. Of course, while you’re busy fighting off one set of assassins, another set could sneak up behind you and slaughter the person you spent so long trying to protect. Nasty business, that.

Illumination: You open PMs. I’m not qualified to speak on the utility of PMs, as in my first and only game, I had only one PM that spoke of idle nothingness for a scant few hours before dying a quick and painless death, but I assume they are at least somewhat beneficial, given that they allow for private contact. This ability is somewhat more useful when used at night, as that would open PMs for the next day and night instead of the next night. If there is an easy way for Illuminators to get in contact without risking quite a bit of life and limb, do try to coordinate your PM opening. If several people use Illumination on the same turn, that would just be a waste of Stormlight, a precious commodity in these times. 

Transformation: A scanner of either alignment or Surges. Both of these seem useful, given that a Transformer might have Transportation as well, and if one knows an individual’s Surges, they know that individual’s potential actions. If one is not an Elsecaller, you might wish to stick to alignment scanning.

Transportation: A redirect of either actions or votes. As with Adhesion, manipulating votes seems a little more certain and thus a slightly better option, but once an individual’s Surges are known, you may wish to reconsider. Given that one might be an Elsecaller, you are welcome to decide for yourself.

Cohesion: A method by which one can swap who targets you with another. If you are a prime target for the kill and know the identity of a Diagramist [This still looks wrong! Help!], you could engage in the clever trickery of swapping with your would-be killer. Alternatively, if you are a suspicious Diagramist [This stupid storming word!], you could engage in this tactic to avert the kill of a clever Divider. 

Tension: Cancel an action or vote targeting a player. As with Adhesion and Transportation, I think the manipulation of votes is a better choice, at least in the early game, especially considering that a player could be targeted by any number of actions and so the odds of stopping a crucial one is low. 

The ninja'd': 1. Gears- You stole Xino's method! :P 

Diraharid glanced left and right, at his fellow travelers on their way to the Oathgate. He didn't trust any of them, not by a long shot. He'd heard stories of traveling groups like these, stories that spoke of less than half of the group surviving. He wanted to be wary. He wanted to be ready.

A little fun RP :P. And now, a brief overview of my activity:

I will be traveling in the car the entire day on Friday to visit family, meaning I will not be around for rollover. After that, my activity might be on the lower side as my vacation is happening, though I'll try to be as active as my schedule allows. 

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Dr. Gears tucked his clipboard and pens into his pockets and fed his Aviar. The refugees were leaving the camps today, which was mildly disappointing. He hadn’t gotten the opportunity to examine the chasms in detail, which invalidated this entire trip. Oh well. At least he’d be able to inspect the Oathgate, though they would probably be leaving too quickly for him to properly analyse anything. It was truly a pity.

He left his tent and watched as his campfellows scurried about, frantically gathering their belongings to leave. How inefficient. The refugees had several days’ notice before today, and most of them hadn’t even packed. Many were facing the unpleasant prospects of having too many items. He, unlike the rest of them, was ready to leave. The only items he had were ones he could carry in his pockets, and his Aviar could fend for itself.

“Refugee” was technically a term that did not apply to himself, as he was not fleeing to escape disaster. He was not fleeing at all. He was chasing disaster, following in its wake like the proverbial moth to the flame. Scientia potentia est. Knowledge is power. Fleeing before the storm would concede knowledge, and thus concede power. Omniscience was a lofty goal, certainly, but striving for perfection was a tenet of Vorinism [which he neither believed in nor practiced], and he was in Alethkar. He had to meet the expectations of his audience, after all. Standing out was only useful if he intended to do so.

He took notes on the behaviours of migrating peoples [inefficient travel, unlike many of their animalistic counterparts] and waited for the refugees to finally leave.

Wow. Nice set of role analysis!

There are 24(ish) players in the game. I think that means that there will be 10-11 Radiants, probably one of each Order, with a few (2-3) in the hands of the Diagram-ists. I don’t really want to do role analysis as to which Orders we can see as good or bad, except that I doubt the Elims have a Dustbringer or Skybreaker.

I will say, from what I can see from the original run of this game, Radiants should be very careful about who they Squire. Elsecallers/Lightweavers should scan tonight and find someone’s alignment, then try to squire them if they’re Village. Other Village Radiants should go for who they think is loyal, but be very careful, especially for Dustbringer/Skybreaker roles where a misplaced squiring could give the Elims an extra kill.

If Gears or Xino don’t beat me too it I’ll try to make recommendations for Surge priority for the Radiants.

Kinda like Matrim, I’m on vacation for the next week. I’ll try to be active, but being only on mobile means large analysis posts will be somewhat difficult. I also don’t know if I’ll be able to be on exactly at rollover, but I should be okay approximately.

Jesbet rushed through his packing, 'I really should stop leaving things till the last moment', he thought as he picked up his pack and ran his checklist through his mind. Finally, the last leg of the journey was before him, Urithiru was no longer just a lofty dream. He would get to study with the foremost artifabrians of his age and maybe become a Radiant or Squire in doing so. As he gathered with the refugees, he marveled at the freshness, a result of the Highstorm, around them.

On 24/06/2020 at 7:18 AM, TJ Shade said:

I had a lot of fun RPing with a NPC from the write-up in LG66. I'll see if I can do it again. Sign me up as Galatar. 

23 minutes ago, Straw said:

After the main part of the Highstorm passed, your group ventured out onto the plains, with your spheres fully charged. It will be a long journey to the Oathgate in the center of the plains.

Thanks Straw. :P There's a grand total of 0 characters for me to adapt. xD I'll come up with something. 

A word of caution for the Refugee Dustbringer and/or Skybreaker. Be very very careful in choosing your squires, if at all you're choosing. We really do not want to give the elims an extra kill even if it is once per 3 cycles. 

And yeah Gears, rule analysis is xino's thing xD

@xinoehp512 what are you going to do? :P

Edit: Bah, Ash's ninja was on point. 

Edited by TJ Shade

The only acceptable solution is to have Xino and Gears have a semi-metaphorical battle to the death over who can better analyze the static facts of the game to give each role the best chance of success.

Meanwhile, I shall continue to steal the role analysis already done in LG13.

28 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Kinda like Matrim, I’m on vacation for the next week. I’ll try to be active, but being only on mobile means large analysis posts will be somewhat difficult. I also don’t know if I’ll be able to be on exactly at rollover, but I should be okay approximately.

Ash, where is that blue color, for future reference? :P I can't find it in the selection grid...

Edit: Thanks, Straw

Edited by Matrim's Dice

3 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Ash, where is that blue color, for future reference? :P I can't find it in the selection grid...

It's blue bbcode. For example:

[color=blue]Example[/color]

becomes

Example

27 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

Thanks Straw. :P There's a grand total of 0 characters for me to adapt. xD I'll come up with something. 

There are some chulls with your group. :P

Edited by Straw

Hello!!! 

Was expecting this game to start in three hours but oh well. :P Rushing around doing stuff atm but I have things to say anyway! 

Contributing to discussion: 

1. TJ Shade
2. I’ve thought about how to coordinate Illumination but best I can come up with is top / bottom half of the player list use it N1/2 and N2/3, but once there’s a squire they’ll be able to coordinate with their radiant and get PMs all the time :D 

3. BE CAREFUL ABOUT CLAIMING. Including if you’re completely vanilla  There are probably fewer people with roles in this game than usual, because of how ridiculously powerful the roles are, and so the elims will very much want to kill all the village roles as soon as possible  I’m not going to say you should never claim but please be extremely careful. 

4. I feel like people should squire maybe cycles 2-3? Depending on how likely you think you are to die and all that, but remember that if you hit a KR you might fail to squire and have to try again. And hitting an elim (I will be spelling them as Diagrammist btw I don’t care what Aonar and whoever said) is obviously not ideal, but it’s still useful to see what they do with it and you’ll be able to know their actions and perhaps get some alignment information about them from that. 

Bloop! 

I will now rank Surges in the category they fall under. 

Action manipulation: Adhesion, Transportation, Tension, Cohesion. Adhesion is superior to Transportation because redirecting the kill would not be very helpful, even if redirecting other actions would be fun. Tension is alright, but given that the action cancelled is random, it only works mildly well as protection. Cohesion seems incredibly risky unless you have absolute certainty on the actions the two of you are taking.

Vote manipulation: Transportation, Tension, Adhesion. It seems strictly better to move a vote than vanish a vote. Tension, which removes a vote on a player rather than a vote by a player, seems better as an option to protect someone from the lynch since people can change their votes. 

Action protection: Gravitation, Abrasion. I hope this one is obvious. Gravitation encompasses Abrasion.

The following is some notes about Important Surges.

Really Important Surges: Progression [the only protection], Illumination [PMs], Gravitation [the best insurance we have]. All others seem unnecessary, though a case must be made for Division. A villager with a kill is helpful, though given the limited Stormlight and uncertainty involved in killing anyone, it seems significantly less amazing than the others in the RIS category. 

Shenanigan Surges: Cohesion [switcheroo], Transportation [redirection]. Swapping identities seems quite fun, and it delves into Mind Games territory, since only the swqpper knows that the swap occurred, and so everyone else would see that their action affected someone else and assumed they were redirected because they couldn't know that everyone else was thinking the same thing. A redirect also has potential, especially since it's a random action. 

Misc. Thoughts: There is a bit of RNG in this game, if people submit more than one action. If you want your action to go through, you might want to submit two so the odds of that action being the one that vamooses drops from 100% to 50%.