Greetings

MasterK-Bob

Hi guys,

I've been posting here one-offs, mostly in the Q&A thread for a while, but I thought I'd introduce myself. I started reading Brandon's work with WoK in September of 2017, shortly before Oathbringer came out, at the behest of friends who wanted me to read it so they could talk to me about it. I read the entire Cosmere between then and maybe March of 2018, and almost all of Brandon's other work shortly thereafter. I started a reread of the Cosmere at the beginning of July, hoping to get through the whole thing before Rhythm of War comes out.

I'm a 33 year old (mostly) cis straight male doctoral student in Religion whose funding is a little messed up because of the pandemic and is scrambling to support himself next year, hopefully with a teaching job, which maybe I stay at even when I finish my PhD since getting a job in academia is basically impossible now. My dissertation topic is the use of the divine name (YHWH) in the early chapters of the book of Genesis, and what the biblical authors are trying to do in when and how they do and don't refer to God in those early chapters.

I'm an extrovert (ENFJ) and sort of an everything nerd (sports, politics, economics, religion, philosophy, theology, psychology, anthropology, archaeology, history (especially ancient and medieval), mythology, hard sciences [especially natural history/evolutionary biology, astro-ish physics, particle physics], broadway musicals, and obviously speculative literature). I don't really get modern art, and I'm definitely not super into the painting sections of art museums, but I love the ancient and medieval sections of those museums.

I am from, and currently reside, in the Philly area, but I've lived years of my life in the DC area, and Northern Indiana, spent one interesting year living in Jerusalem.

If you want to ask me something, given my background, or just need a friend and think the place to find that friend is on the 17th shard forums, I'm happy to oblige.

I wish you all the best.

- K-Bob

Edited by MasterK-Bob

Hey Darkfinder,

My favorite book ever is probably the Lord of the Rings, or maybe the Book of Genesis since I've sort of committed my life to studying it and I love stories of origins. My favorite book by Brandon Sanderson is super hard for me to figure out. I love them all. Maybe most recently I enjoyed my second reading of Skyward, but that might have been because I sort of had a crush on Spensa?

Just now, Mist said:

Welcome! What's your favorite magic system? 

In Brandon's books, I guess I think feruchemy is most interesting, if I can't just call the metallic arts one elaborate system of which almost all magic users only have access to a small part (though I guess everyone in the whole Cosmere has access to hemalurgy).

47 minutes ago, MasterK-Bob said:

In Brandon's books, I guess I think feruchemy is most interesting, if I can't just call the metallic arts one elaborate system of which almost all magic users only have access to a small part (though I guess everyone in the whole Cosmere has access to hemalurgy).

Surgebinding is the same.  Do you have a favorite cosmere series?

51 minutes ago, Karger said:

Surgebinding is the same.  Do you have a favorite cosmere series?

My favorite completed series is Mistborn era 1. I think the Stormlight books might be better. Individually, perhaps they are already, but I'll withhold judgment until at least Book 5 is done.

Hey, K-Bob! Greetings! Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your fave character in the Cosmere? And have you taken the quiz? Which Order do you belong? 

Elsecaller here, an INTJ. Result shows Truthwatcher as close second. So yeah, I'm satisfied with the result. 

Edited by Adran Oathbreaker

7 hours ago, Adran Oathbreaker said:

Hey, K-Bob! Greetings! Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your fave character in the Cosmere? And have you taken the quiz? Which Order do you belong? 

Elsecaller here, an INTJ. Result shows Truthwatcher as close second. So yeah, I'm satisfied with the result. 

I got windrunner, by a pretty significant margin. I don't recall what was behind it.

I adore Lift, but she's almost a little off the wall. Maybe my favorite character I relate to most is Marasi? I think she makes the most sense to me, though I also really like Adolin, Ham, Tensoon, Siri, Lopen . . . this is hard.