That Awkward Hoid Moment

2 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

I think Brandon is the new Tolkien, honestly. Looking at fantasy before Mistborn and after Mistborn (which I think was the beginning that people really saw hard magic), he's already changed so much of fiction, and I think he's going to continue. Sanderson's laws are being used more often, authors are using more interesting magic systems, and yeah, I feel like I've seen a few Hoids recently

While influential, I don't think it's possible for a fantasy author to eclipse Tolkien.

I still stands by the argument that his world is the most complex and largest.

Tolkien is the father of Fantasy, Brandon is more the big brother/uncle.

17 minutes ago, Frustration said:

While influential, I don't think it's possible for a fantasy author to eclipse Tolkien.

I still stands by the argument that his world is the most complex and largest.

Tolkien is the father of Fantasy, Brandon is more the big brother/uncle.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the Silmarillion and I don't know if I ever will.

I think Tolkien wins on sheer amount of worldbuilding, with languages and crazy history, but I think Brandon has more depth in his cultures, and is broader in scope with the whole Cosmere. Plus I like his characters better as a whole. I feel like Tolkien really created modern worldbuilding and plot while Brandon is revolutionizing magic systems and characters

1 hour ago, Negative_Null said:

Disclaimer: I haven't read the Silmarillion and I don't know if I ever will.

Personally it's one of if not the best fantasy ever.

I think Tolkien wins on sheer amount of worldbuilding, with languages and crazy history, but I think Brandon has more depth in his cultures, and is broader in scope with the whole Cosmere. 

Tolkien was going more for a history approach, and so we get things like a lineage of Kings and calenders for the cultures, while Brandon had a more religious focus and everything that comes with that. Different focuses, but both vibrate.

Plus I like his characters better as a whole. I feel like Tolkien really created modern worldbuilding and plot while Brandon is revolutionizing magic systems and characters

I'll give you that Tolkien's characters aren't as relatable, (but they're awesome despite it.)

Brandon is improving fantasy in many ways, like I said older brother.

20 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Read it.

It's worth it.

There's a BALROG riding a FREAKING DRAGON.

Also

Ungoliant

The Red Maw(because I can not spell that name)

And Ancalagon the black.

Edited by Frustration