That Awkward Hoid Moment

Have you ever had one of those moments when you're reading a book, watching a movie, or even just walking around town, and there's just some person and you instantly think "is that Hoid?" before coming to realization that what you're doing has nothing to do with the Cosmere? For example, when I was watching the Hunchback of Notre Dam the other day, I saw that jester-storyteller guy and I said out loud almost instantaneously "is that Wit?"

48 minutes ago, Danex said:

Well I was reading this wonderful piece of literature (have you heard of it @Channelknight Fadran?) and I saw the words “carriage driver” and immediately thought “HOID HOID HOID”. 

You made me smile :lol:. No, I wasn't thinking Hoid when I was making that carriage driver... when I post the next couple chapters, that's when you'll start getting some Hoid vibes.

Yeah, from time to time ... I also tend to intuitively sort characters into Orders or to Shards. It just happens: Someone acts a certain way and it's ... Oh. Dustbringer.

Also, Tom Bombadil is a worldhopper and you can't convince me otherwise :D

57 minutes ago, Elegy said:

Yeah, from time to time ... I also tend to intuitively sort characters into Orders or to Shards. It just happens: Someone acts a certain way and it's ... Oh. Dustbringer.

Honestly Tom probably is Hoid...maybe drunk Hoid? Can Hoid even get drunk? :huh:

2 hours ago, Elegy said:

1 hour ago, Skylicus23 said:

Honestly Tom probably is Hoid...maybe drunk Hoid? Can Hoid even get drunk? :huh:

I have been of the opinion for some time that Hoid(/Brandon) is trying his best to be Tom.

8 hours ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

So far nearly every magic system I have seen could be worked into Realmatic theory and sometimes even shardic influences. Some systems actually make more sense to me in that manner than as they are actually explained

I'm telling you that's why Brandon did it, also the amount of intent in magic is insane it's everywhere.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:20 PM, Elegy said:

In a way, Bombadil was indeed a worldhopper. He's just Tolkien. Quite literally a self-insert of Tolkien, hence his line about being older than the first acorn or something like that.

2 hours ago, Invocation said:

In a way, Bombadil was indeed a worldhopper. He's just Tolkien. Quite literally a self-insert of Tolkien, hence his line about being older than the first acorn or something like that.

That's debatable. But Tolkien wrote stories about him that were disconnected from the Legendarium, so it's basically official that he's not bound to one specific continuity.

Edit: Just read that Tolkien re-purposed his poems about Bombadil as songs sung about him in-world after the fact, so this comment was only half true. But he's a character that was not created for Middle-Earth but for his children (apparently based on a toy of theirs) and then rather spontaneously integrated into the continuity when he wrote Fellowship of the Ring. So that's why he doesn't really fit the Middle-Earth mythology.

Edited by Elegy

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo, who's coat is red and boots are yellow...

*Anger*

It's

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow

Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:

His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster 

Edited by Frustration

On 7/18/2020 at 10:26 PM, Windrunner2319 said:

The same thing happens to me with magic systems in other books, or even in real life, where I start to explain them in terms of Realmatic theory before I remember its not a Sanderson Book.

I mean I literally did that with Paper Mario Origami King today, Olly is an Awakened sheet of paper folded to resemble a person so that it costs less Breath.

I've certainly found myself looking much more closely at background characters since Sanderson. And I'll often try to fit various magic systems into Realmatic Theory or connect them to Sanderson magic systems. A lot of his concepts apply really well to other fantasy worlds. I often look at D&D spells in terms of Connection, Identity, and Intent.

3 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

I've certainly found myself looking much more closely at background characters since Sanderson. And I'll often try to fit various magic systems into Realmatic Theory or connect them to Sanderson magic systems. A lot of his concepts apply really well to other fantasy worlds. I often look at D&D spells in terms of Connection, Identity, and Intent.

I feel like as more people read Brandon's Cosmere stories, and some of those people also become fantasy authors, the concepts he's laying down might become more widespread.

Basically I'm saying Brandon has/will forever change the general feel of fantasy magic systems for all of time because he's just that good.

I think Brandon is the new Tolkien, honestly. Looking at fantasy before Mistborn and after Mistborn (which I think was the beginning that people really saw hard magic), he's already changed so much of fiction, and I think he's going to continue. Sanderson's laws are being used more often, authors are using more interesting magic systems, and yeah, I feel like I've seen a few Hoids recently