Adonalsium’s Dawnshard

Crusadeus

Here is my thoughts on the Dawnshards. Based on other uses of the word Dawn in these books it seems to indicate the earliest form of something. Dawnchant being the earliest form of communication. Dawnsingers being the earliest inhabitants of the Roshar system. To me it seems like Dawnshards become the earliest power manifest in the system. We know they can bind voidish and human. We know they can beat odium or destroy the world. To me a power like that would have to be Adonalsium himself. I think the Dawnshards are splinters of Adonalsium. His own power splintered before he shattered. We know already that Adonalsium did this, we just don’t know where they are. It also makes sense that the Sleepless, a race created by Adonalsium, would be the protectors of it, not the other two races, human or parshendi. This also goes along with a theory in these threads that Roshar was Adonalsiums art studio, a playing ground. If Adonalsium splintered his power which has the power of creation and destruction, it is not that far off to think that the Dawnshards are in fact splinters of Adonalsiums power. 

Thoughts?

ive been meaning to make a post thats covers almost exactly what you stated.

the use of "dawn" as a prefix always refers to a period of time long ago.

dawnchant - language of singers when humans first got to Roshar

dawncity- i believe it was the major cities of the Singers when the humans first arrived on Roshar

dawnsinger- singers that existed when humans got to Roshar

now

Dawnshard- the use of dawn indicates something from long ago. and the only others times the word "shard" is used, is Shardblades/plate and the Shards themselves. both of them are/were pieces of Investiture with a mind attatched.

this makes me think that the Dawnshards were "spren" or some kind of sentient splinter on Ashyn. maybe a splinter of Ado.

a splinter of Ado that got assigned to one of the Shards(odium,culitvation or Honor) is bound to be different than a Splinter made directly by one of the Shards after the Shattering

now the Destruction of Ashyn should have occured no more than 500-750 or so years after the Shattering.(very early in the cosmere timeline. probably even before Whitesand takes place.)

19 minutes ago, Crusadeus said:

Interesting. Explain. Where do we get that information?

Overlord Jebus

Is all Investiture in the cosmere associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, okay. So this is a complicated one. *pauses* So, Investiture predates the Shattering of Adonalsium, all Investiture was from Adonalsium, all Investiture got assigned to one of the 16 Shards when Adonalsium was Shattered. Some of the Investiture was not on Yolen but location is irrelevant. So Investiture is related to Shards even on planets where none of the Shards are inhabiting. 

Overlord Jebus

Are they aware of that Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

That's part of the whole seeing into the infinite, being beyond even the power of a Shard. So, technically you could make the argument that Harmony could feel the sense of Preservation on every world in the cosmere, right? Because the building blocks of all life and creation are these things.

Overlord Jebus

So the Shard of Preservation embodies all preservation in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes but he just can't do that, right? Like, he's not infinite. The Vessels are not, even if their minds are enormously expanded by holding a Shard, they are not infinite. The Connection is all there in the Spiritual Realm

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Edited by Eternal Khol

Very cool. Then consider this:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Please explain what you will about Shards and Splintering and Slivers.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

An event happened long ago which destroyed something called Adonalsium into 16 pieces. And 16 people took up that power.

Questioner (paraphrased)

People?

I call all intelligent species people. If someone takes up the power and lets go of it, it has the effect much like a balloon that's been stretched and then the air is let out. I call that a Sliver; based off of the Lord Ruler calling himself the "Sliver of Infinity". The Lord Ruler is someone who held the power and then released it. And so, current Slivers are the Lord Ruler, Kelsier, and there may be others around who at one point held the power and let go of it. A Splinter is a term used by certain people in the cosmere for power of Adonalsium which has no person caring for it, no... no person holding it, which has attained self-awareness.

Questioner (paraphrased)

So is that like the mists and the Well? Are they...

They are not, because they have not attained self-awareness. But, the Seons are self-aware. So, any piece, for instance there were some spren on Roshar before Honor and Cultivation got there. Those were already Splinters of Adonalsium where he had left power which attained sentience on its own. So, it can be intentional is what I am saying, does that make sense? You have seen other Splinters.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Are the highstorms related to the Splintering of Honor?

The highstorms are more related to the mist from Mistborn which terminology we have not discussed yet. You have seen Splinters quite a bit on various.planets

Steelheart Seattle signing (Oct. 14, 2013)

Is it possible then that the Dawnshard is a splinter of Adonalsium that has gained sentience? Is it possible a Dawnshard is something living?

18 minutes ago, Crusadeus said:

Is it possible then that the Dawnshard is a splinter of Adonalsium that has gained sentience?

theres multiple dawnshards.

18 minutes ago, Crusadeus said:

Is it possible a Dawnshard is something living?

define "living"

just throwing in everything we know about them

-theres a set number of em

-one is different from all the rest

-one is known to bind any creature "voidish or mortal"

-they were used to destroy ashyn

-at least one was at Aimia at some point

-Honor thought they would be of use againt odium

-they're now lost or not what they were

-we dont know if they orginate from Ashyn but there were there before Roshar

Edited by Eternal Khol

1 hour ago, Crusadeus said:

Is it possible then that the Dawnshard is a splinter of Adonalsium that has gained sentience? Is it possible a Dawnshard is something living?

Sure.  The stormfather predates the shattering.  He was just assigned to Honor afterward.  If Adonalsium had more splinters they would also be assigned but they would also be living and potentially even independent. 

4 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

ive been meaning to make a post thats covers almost exactly what you stated.

the use of "dawn" as a prefix always refers to a period of time long ago.

dawnchant - language of singers when humans first got to Roshar

dawncity- i believe it was the major cities of the Singers when the humans first arrived on Roshar

dawnsinger- singers that existed when humans got to Roshar

*cough*  Alloy of Law

Spoiler

Waxilium 'Dawnshot' Landarin

12 hours ago, Sandra said:

Soooo, this thought has long been on my mind... What if the dawnshards are the unmade? And I mean not in their current state but in their "made" state. 

Ooh, that would make a lot of sense. If we suppose that the Dawnshards were tied to Honor (since they come from Ashyn), there'd be ten of them. So that explains why there is one Dawnshard different from the rest: Nine were corrupted into Unmade, and one remains intact.

14 minutes ago, ReaderAt2046 said:

Ooh, that would make a lot of sense. If we suppose that the Dawnshards were tied to Honor (since they come from Ashyn), there'd be ten of them. So that explains why there is one Dawnshard different from the rest: Nine were corrupted into Unmade, and one remains intact.

So would that mean the one in Aimia became... Yelig-Nar and scoured it? Is that the unmade that did that? Am i misremembering that we even know an unmade did the scouring of aimia? Probably!

21 hours ago, ReaderAt2046 said:

We do not know that the Dawnshards came from Ashyn.  Nothing in text or WoB supports this assertion.  We know that Surges destroyed Ashyn, but nowhere is it mentioned that the Dawnshards were involved.  In addition, the name is much more in line with early Rosharan history than that which came from Ashyn.  I know the Coppemind states that the Dawnshards were used to destroy Ashyn, but this is not supported by the cited sources.  I find it much more likely that the Dawnshards were used in the creation of the Oathpact, where they bound the Heralds to the Rosharan system, and bound Odium as well.  One is different because it bound Odium, rather than the Heralds.  Perhaps the Heralds have gone insane due to the Dawnsharda being captured by Odium/Unmade.  The tinfoil hat edge of this theory has Odium using the Dawnshards to force the Heralds to help him kill Honor.  This would explain the "we" in his "we killed you" quote.

Also, the Dawnshard that bound Odium is in Aimia.  Dai-Goranthis scoured Aimia to try and destroy it.  This would explain the secret that could "mean the ends of worlds".

6 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

We do not know that the Dawnshards came from Ashyn.  Nothing in text or WoB supports this assertion.  We know that Surges destroyed Ashyn, but nowhere is it mentioned that the Dawnshards were involved. 

Well, Honor himsef said so. So i think that counts as proof

"But in the days leading to the Recreance, Honor was dying. When that generation of knights learned the truth, Honor did not support them. He raved, speaking of the Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls."

Honor was mad/dying when he said that, but there is still plenty of truth to be had from the ravings of a dying god. Everything he says is still important(even though hes dying, he can still see/understand a whole lot more than a regular person ) but not everything he says is relevant.

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 18/07/2020 at 10:53 PM, Eternal Khol said:

Well, Honor himsef said so. So i think that counts as proof

"But in the days leading to the Recreance, Honor was dying. When that generation of knights learned the truth, Honor did not support them. He raved, speaking of the Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls."

Honor was mad/dying when he said that, but there is still plenty of truth to be had from the ravings of a dying god. Everything he says is still important(even though hes dying, he can still see/understand a whole lot more than a regular person ) but not everything he says is relevant.

On 18/07/2020 at 4:34 PM, Brgst13 said:

We do not know that the Dawnshards came from Ashyn.  Nothing in text or WoB supports this assertion.  We know that Surges destroyed Ashyn, but nowhere is it mentioned that the Dawnshards were involved.  

I think that the unmade being the Dawnshards would fit both of these assertions. So far (and correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like each of the unmade aligns itself with a different surge (though perhaps a slightly twisted version, which could be accounted for by their corruption by odium), which means that by saying the dawnshards destroyed Ashyn, it would also mean the surges did. 

On 17/07/2020 at 7:21 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

So would that mean the one in Aimia became... Yelig-Nar and scoured it? Is that the unmade that did that? Am i misremembering that we even know an unmade did the scouring of aimia? Probably!

I think that the one in Aimia is still uncorrupted by Odium, and therefore not one of the unmade. The Scouring of Aimia probably happened in an attempt to find/ capture/ corrupt this last remaining one in order to cover all his bases. But if he failed, that explains why there is one dawnshard that is different from the rest.

There is an implication that the Scouring of Aimia was an ecological disaster of some kind.  It could have been caused by external forces I suppose(the unmade) although I always believed it was over hunting.

According to the Coppermind:

What exactly occurred is unknown, but it is thought that nearly everything on the islands was destroyed.[3][4] The largest island of Aimia is assumed to be altogether barren and lifeless.[5] However, the island of Akinah, which served as Aimia's capital, was not completely destroyed. Some crem-covered buildings can still be seen from its shores.[5]

In her work Mythica, Hessi posited that Dai-Gonarthis may have been responsible for the scouring.[6]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While its not certain, as in the source we have Hessi herself only 'posited that Dai-Gonarthis may have been responsible', we do have an in world scholar who thought that the unmade, or at least one of the unmade, was responsible