Szeth as Skybreaker

Bzhydack

Question

So, Szeth at the end of Oathbringer is 3Ideal Skybreaker, bonded with Highspren. He sworn not to use Nightblood in second part of Battle on Thaylen Fields. But why he dont use his Shardblade? 3d Ideal is standard for other Orders to gain Shardblade, is this different for Skybreakers?

8 answers to this question

There's no official explanation for this yet (I searched Arcanum), but it's possible that Szeth's highspren refused to manifest as a Blade as long as he was carrying Nightblood, similar to how many other intelligent spren take offense at Shardbearers.

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

1 minute ago, PiedPeterPiper said:

There's no official explanation for this yet (I searched Arcanum), but it's possible that Szeth's highspren refused to manifest as a Blade as long as he was carrying Nightblood, similar to how many other intelligent spren take offense at Shardbearers.

Yeah, but Nightblood isnt (technicaly) Spren. And we saw other spren close to this sword and they say nothing about it, as they always do close to dead Shardblades (especialy Wyndle was very close).

30 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Yeah, but Nightblood isnt (technicaly) Spren. And we saw other spren close to this sword and they say nothing about it, as they always do close to dead Shardblades (especialy Wyndle was very close).

I'm not saying they're averse to Nightblood for the same rationales as for other Blades. There is a plethora of reasons to be wary of Nightblood.

4 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

So, Szeth at the end of Oathbringer is 3Ideal Skybreaker, bonded with Highspren. He sworn not to use Nightblood in second part of Battle on Thaylen Fields. But why he dont use his Shardblade? 3d Ideal is standard for other Orders to gain Shardblade, is this different for Skybreakers?

I don't remember him swearing not to use NB in the second part of the battle? He might have decided not to, since it almost killed him a few minutes before...

He doesn't swear the Third Oath until after the battle and everything, so he didn't really get a chance to use it. He probably could summon it now, but it would not surprise me if his spren is a little wary of Nightblood.

4 hours ago, RShara said:

I don't remember him swearing not to use NB in the second part of the battle? He might have decided not to, since it almost killed him a few minutes before...

He was talking to Lift. Something like "I will not use sword until you will be dead and i decide to Die" (sorry, i cant quote literaly)

The accepted oath is sworn after the battle (https://coppermind.net/wiki/Szeth#Aftermath), but we do not know at what ideal Skybreakers get their blade as far as I can find!

Kythis

Is there a specific number of the ideals that they have to do before they can get the Shardblade?  

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on the Order.

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)

I also think I saw a WoB that stated Nightblood can kill Spren, so no wonder they are worried about it..!

Edited by Krox