Ask Fadran Anything

Channelknight Fadran

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

And I quote:

"What the frick is a potato in a minefield?"

After that, I was like "what a cool person! We're gonna get along just fine!" Turns out we have :D

Potato in a minefield is a reference to Reckoners in case you're still confused by that. :lol: (I don't remember if I already told you that or not)

Favorite brand/flavor(?) of chips? (Not sure if flavor is the right word?)

20 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

How do you create such awesome magic systems?

There's a bit of a history behind all that; I'll try to keep it brief.

Once upon a time, I wanted some magic systems for my world of the Iconar Collective. I invented six of these, just by determining what I thought would be cool. From there, I needed to start adding rules, but I didn't know how.

Then, one day, while I was worldbuilding I was like "I should have machines that run off of magic, like the Fabrials!" I encountered a similar problem there: I needed a source of magic.

So I created a source of magic based off of what I thought was cool: Particles (yes, I'm a geek. Atoms are COOL). I'm not going to get into that because it's WAY too complicated. After I created that source, I started defining my magic based on the rules of the source. By writing in a essay-like structure for something that really appealed to me, I learned how to write down a magic system in an appealing way. That last step is very important, because it's less me coming up with cool magic systems, but more me presenting cool magic systems.

After that, I started designing other magic systems in a similar fashion. I started writing as Fadran, the quirky Traveling Merchant, Highmaster Arcane Mage, Iconan Channelknight. I wrote them from his perspective (I.E. my perspective; Fadran is me only wiser and better at everything). By presenting my contrived magic systems in an appealing way, I created the illusion of them being "awesome." In my opinion, any magic system is awesome; it's just the implication and presentation of them that gives them their shine.

Also, try the youtube channel Hello Future Me. His videos explain how to create magic systems really well; and he's a Sanderfan!

19 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Oh, that's a good question too. I'll add on.

How do you write? Like, in general.

Oh, uh... good question, actually. I have no idea. I can't say "it's always come easy to me," because it hasn't. Here is a completely and utterly nasty book I wrote when I was in seventh grade (the comments I left are more entertaining than the book itself). At some point in ninth grade, though, I was writing narratives for english class and kept getting 100% on all of them. As you can imagine, I was very confused. At some point, it clicked that I was kinda sorta good at writing, and from there I wanted to be an author.

Learning to write well was a bit of a journey. I posted the first chapter of The Iconar Collective, but that is the first chapter of the sixteenth edition of that book. It's been a struggle and an adventure to find out what kind of writing flows and works for me.

So to answer your question... I guess practice.

20 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Did you expect 'I'm bored.  Let's mess around!' to become what it is?

What stupid thing have you always wanted to do?  (Like irrationally want to touch lava.)

First question: Absolutely not. Most of my other streams die after a week or two, but I'm Bored had almost a hundred replies within just a few days! That's not why I'm glad I made it, though; I'm glad I made it because I got to meet a bunch of awesome people (looking pointedly in the direction of Xino, Kindness, Nathrangking, Gears, Salad, and DramaQueen [I think that's everyone; there's too many to count]).

Second question: Does build a particle accelerator count? What about a black hole bomb?

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

First question: Absolutely not. Most of my other streams die after a week or two, but I'm Bored had almost a hundred replies within just a few days! That's not why I'm glad I made it, though; I'm glad I made it because I got to meet a bunch of awesome people (looking pointedly in the direction of Xino, Kindness, and DramaQueen

Second question: Does build a particle accelerator count? What about a black hole bomb?

:wub: *blushes at first answer*

Yeah, I think a black hole bomb would count.

Now I want to know what would happen if someone actually did that...  

Have you ever mixed up words so badly your friends never let you hear the end of it?

8 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Have you read 'The Boy who played with Fusion'? It is a biography of Taylor Wilson, who built a fusion reactor when he was 14. It is a pretty good read.

8 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Particles (yes, I'm a geek. Atoms are COOL). I'm not going to get into that because it's WAY too complicated

Tell us!!! I wanna know!

16 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

First question: Absolutely not. Most of my other streams die after a week or two, but I'm Bored had almost a hundred replies within just a few days! That's not why I'm glad I made it, though; I'm glad I made it because I got to meet a bunch of awesome people (looking pointedly in the direction of Xino, Kindness, Nathrangking, Gears, Salad, and DramaQueen [I think that's everyone; there's too many to count]).

Aww, thanks!!!

I think you forgot Mist and Vapor. Also, McWaffy said something at some point?

23 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Now I want to know what would happen if someone actually did that...  

Have you ever mixed up words so badly your friends never let you hear the end of it?

To answer that first sentence: Bad things. VERY bad things.

To answer that question: Oh, absolutely. I somehow became the laughingstock of my entire school because somebody called me fascist (it was a very confusing endeavor).

22 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Have you read 'The Boy who played with Fusion'? It is a biography of Taylor Wilson, who built a fusion reactor when he was 14. It is a pretty good read.

I haven't read it, but I've heard of the story.

22 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Tell us!!! I wanna know!

Oh dear... I hope I can finish this before I have to go take a Drivers Ed test in fifteen minutes...

So, on the tiniest scale of things in the Omniverse, there are two unstable particles called the proton and electron Icon and Rano. The reason I called them that are another story, so just go with it. The Icon is shaped like a +, and the Rano is shaped like an X. These two unstable particles like to bond with each other and create a stable particle called the Icara, which is shaped like an eight-pointed star of sorts. These Icaras will bond with each other to create "Compounds." Very simple Compounds create very basic things like "heat" or simply "energy." Once you get larger, you get more specific things, like gravity and rocks.

When I first created that, it was cool and all, but I was like "hey wait... if you just have a bunch of random Compounds everywhere, then where's the order amongst the chaos?"

My answer to that was FASHION TRENDS.

I decided that Icaras like to mimic Icara Compounds, so when two Icaras bond to make a Heat compound, more Icaras will mimic that Heat compound, until you have trillions of Heat compounds chilling (lol, chilling) all over the place! However, Icaras can't exactly see, so they get things wrong a lot. On a smaller scale, an Icara getting something wrong screws up a compound really bad (Heat suddenly becomes something like, I dunno, cold). On a larger scale, an Icara screwing up doesn't change much at all (a mountain becomes a slightly different mountain).

So that's how it works, but it gets more complicated from there, because I needed this to translate into magic. The original idea was a magic user could Forge a connection to something using a special Compound of their own and exact control over it. I eventually decided that I needed a better name than "connection" (Sanderson had already called dibs on that one), so I created the "Spirit Bond." A Spirit Compound is unique to all life, and sets living things apart from not-living things. Just because only living things are created with a Spirit, it doesn't mean that living things are the only things that can contain a Spirit. Therefore, whenever someone Forges a Spirit Bond to something, they're transferring some of their Spirit Compounds into that something. The Spirit Compound can be controlled even outside of the person's body, so they can control the something that they're Bonded to by controlling their own Spirit.

Did that make any sense? That probably didn't make any sense.

I tried :D.

13 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Aww, thanks!!!

I think you forgot Mist and Vapor. Also, McWaffy said something at some point?

I already kinda knew Vapor (though not well), but you're right, I did forget Mist. Darn it! I probably should've added Enter a Username onto that list, because even though we knew each other before then, we've never really shared a stream like that one.

Also, McWaffy and I have basically been Shardbuddies since we first encountered each other in a random stream somewhere (I don't remember where). Shoutout to him!

10 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

What kind of stuff do you like to do, other then Sanderson-related stuff?

Umm... Rowling stuff (Harry Potter), for one. I like writing fantasy and playing games (video, board, card, you name it). I'm a big nerd, and can tell you literally anything you never knew you wanted to know about Legend of Zelda. I'm also a big geek, and literally have a Schwartzchild Radius calculator chilling in my desktop until I ever need it (if you've ever wondered how small you'd have to compress your house in order to transform it into a black hole, however unstable, now you can!). I'm also a big dork, and stink in doing things in real life (like talking to people; I'm awful at talking to people).

Edit: And play piano! I like playing piano! Mostly Legend of Zelda music, though.

Aight, I'ma be gone for a little while; like, an hour or two.

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Umm... Rowling stuff (Harry Potter), for one. I like writing fantasy and playing games (video, board, card, you name it). I'm a big nerd, and can tell you literally anything you never knew you wanted to know about Legend of Zelda. I'm also a big geek, and literally have a Schwartzchild Radius calculator chilling in my desktop until I ever need it (if you've ever wondered how small you'd have to compress your house in order to transform it into a black hole, however unstable, now you can!). I'm also a big dork, and stink in doing things in real life (like talking to people; I'm awful at talking to people).

Me too! (Minus the Schwartzschild Radius calculator... I also don't know nearly as much Zelda stuff. I'm also not nearly as good at writing, but I do constantly get magic system ideas, like one currently in my head that involves lightning.)

My younger brother asks you: "Do you want the Master Sword early, or an ancient shield with the durability of the Hylian shield in Breath of the Wild? Or maybe hundreds of rubies, sapphires, and topazes for free?"

55 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

My younger brother asks you: "Do you want the Master Sword early, or an ancient shield with the durability of the Hylian shield in Breath of the Wild? Or maybe hundreds of rubies, sapphires, and topazes for free?"

I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about if I hadn't played Breath of the Wild :D. Ancient Shield with Hylian Shield durability, definitely, though early Master Sword ranks close second.

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

What was your first impression of me? 

Why do you call threads streams? 

What’s the joke behind “The Snazzy Necromancer”? 

My first impression of you was "oh hey, what a cool dude!"

I was then very chastised because I got your gender wrong. After that, it was more like "oh hey, what a cool dudette!"

Why do I call threads streams? I honestly have no idea; I've heard it both ways and I can never decide. Whichever is typed first, I guess. (Though now that I know which one's the "official" name I'll start doing that).

The joke behind "The Snazzy Necromancer?" I don't remember. I invented it one day and I used it until I invented the Channelknights and Fadran. Now I'm Channelknight Fadran.

47 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

After that, it was more like "oh hey, what a cool dudette!"

Why do I call threads streams? I honestly have no idea; I've heard it both ways and I can never decide. Whichever is typed first, I guess. (Though now that I know which one's the "official" name I'll start doing that). 

:lol: 

Fair. I haven’t ever heard them called streams before, so it surprised me.