Medallions

Hoid the Former Drifter

They are unsealed metalminds made of nicrosil and other metals this allows somebody to become an investiture user and tap or store a feruchemical property. The exact method of who they are made and how they grant feruchemical powers is unknown. Though they likely use feruchemical aluminum in their creation to create a metalmind that has no identity and feruchemical nicrosil in the medallion so anybody can use them. 

We are not actually sure how they are made.  We have some speculation from that beginning scene in BoM but that is all.  We just know that if you tap one(like a metalmind) you gain a power and when you stop tapping the power is restored.  There is also some nicrosil involved somehow.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:21 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

How can you tap them if you never had investiture to tap investiture?

Don’t all things have investiture? Maybe I misunderstand, but I think it’s just the Spiritweb that allows someone to do weird things with it. The medallions, then, would be a way to modify your Spiritweb temporarily, like an adapter, so that you can use your investiture that way.

Which actually sounds a lot like hemalurgy, without the drastic costs and side effects, I assume.

Edited by Turos

All things have investiture but in order to tap investiture for something you need to have the ability to do so. This ability is your investiture. Blank investiture should only be able to be tapped if you have that ability, much like the blank goldmind that Wax and Wayne found, and only Wayne was able to tap it, because he already was able to tap gold.

Just now, Hoid the Drifter said:

Hope not, I really want to know how kelsier did that. (Maybe the spike has something to do with it-- the Hemallurgic spike allowed him to possess the body?)

The spike has been described as a staple for his Cognitive Shadow self, but it's unclear why the bindpoint to do that is in the eye or how he got that particular body.

8 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

What I meant was that the spikes automatically give that kind of sight, and Kelsier's spike does that; so which metal does it enhance?

We don't know if it enhances any of them.  As far as we know it is just a staple.