Poll: How much do you use your leatherbound(s)

Survey: How much do you use your leatherbound(s)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you use your leatherbound(s)

• I have never read them and they are on display and are extremely rarely if ever taken off the shelf. I read ebooks or other editions instead.
    • They are on display and I occasionally open them to look at the art but I don't use them for reading. I read ebooks or other editions instead.
    • I keep them stored away untouched as an investment to sell sometime in the future. I read ebooks or other editions instead.
    • I read them once and then put them on display. Now I read ebooks or other editions instead.
    • They are the edition I use whenever I want to reread that story, however often that may be.
    • I occasionally read my leatherbound edition(s) but primarily I read my ebooks or other editions instead.

I, and I suspect many others, have never bought one of the leatherbounds before and while I made pledge for the Way of Kings Kickstarter I am unsure whether or not I should go through with it. I am not sure if the cost will be worth the amount of value I will get out of them.

So I have made this poll to give myself and anyone else who is considering buying these leatherbounds or any others an idea of what sort of value and usage to expect to get out of owning one of the leatherbounds. Hopefully this will help me and anyone else who has the same thoughts I am having come to a decision.

So if you are the owner of a leatherbound please select the option in the poll that best describes how you use your leatherbounds. 

Thank you!

(Of course, if you do not own one of the leatherbounds please don't vote in the poll. That would defeat the purpose)

11 hours ago, King of Herdaz said:

I, and I suspect many others, have never bought one of the leatherbounds before and while I made pledge for the Way of Kings Kickstarter I am unsure whether or not I should go through with it. I am not sure if the cost will be worth the amount of value I will get out of them.

So I have made this poll to give myself and anyone else who is considering buying these leatherbounds or any others an idea of what sort of value and usage to expect to get out of owning one of the leatherbounds. Hopefully this will help me and anyone else who has the same thoughts I am having come to a decision.

So if you are the owner of a leatherbound please select the option in the poll that best describes how you use your leatherbounds. 

Thank you!

(Of course, if you do not own one of the leatherbounds please don't vote in the poll. That would defeat the purpose)

Of course you might use it differently to other people! So just because others don't use it, doesn't mean you won't.  The people who go for these tend to be collector minded fans who want to keep it in pristine condition. 

When I get a leatherbound (and I've got all of Brandon's and several others) it's always a present to myself. I love books, I love beautiful editions and I love this moment when you get a new book and open it for the first time. The sound of the spine, the smell, it's something I adore greatly.

So the leatherbounds for me are a book that is also a piece of art. I love to open them now and then, to sit down in a comfortable chair and look at the pictures, maybe read a chapter or two. But for a reread, I use my other editions. These I carry around, stuff into a backback, or lend to others. Therefore most of them, especially the cosmere ones, are in very bad shape as a lot of people read them over the years. My Warbreaker travelled both to africa and to australia in a backpack (and of course it looks that way as well).

I would never lend my leatherbounds to someone else to carry around, nor would I do that, because I want them to look good, to stay in good order.

Regarding the question whether to follow through with your pledge or not: I think you have to decide that for yourself. Of course you can read a leatherbound, regularly at that. But if you're looking for the best cost/usage equivalent without any emotional impact, then another edition might be more effective?
Honestly for me, they just bring me joy by being there. It's always a special moment whenever I open one, and that alone is worth every single cent for me.

Edited by Sorana

6 hours ago, Miggins said:

Of course you might use it differently to other people! So just because others don't use it, doesn't mean you won't.  The people who go for these tend to be collector minded fans who want to keep it in pristine condition. 

Of course, I just want to get a feel for what most people do so I can take that into account when I try to figure out if it is worth it for me to get them.

Whether you want to buy the kickstarter or not, that's up to you.  It's a pricey collectors item, a beautiful piece of art, but the story is ultimately the same.  

I love books, and I also love beautiful, sort of definitive editions.  It's a weird mindset I have, but there you go!  I have every leatherbound except for Warbreaker (which I will get when the next run is released).  I do use them for reading.  Personally, I think it adds to the experience.  The art, the font, the look, the quality...it all adds to my experience reading the story.  I don't go anywhere with these leatherbounds, I read them in the comfort of my own home, and I read them in a way where I won't damage them.  I'll admit, I typically read all of my books as if they were a leatherbound haha.  However, I mostly read on my bed, I don't usually handle the book much, and I don't really read in chairs, unless it's for school or work.  They are still in excellent quality!  Beyond reading them, they are beautiful display pieces!  I look at them and I feel good about my purchases!  Cannot wait for The Way of Kings!

Edited by Bondsmith30