Nomic [Resurrected]

Gears

10 minutes ago, Gears said:

This is moderately dead, but rules are proposed and voted on, points are allotted, and the turn is passed to continue the cycle. The fledgling stages of the game [which we are now in] are very difficult to overcome, as they are quite boring and either cause chaos or withdrawals. Once we escape that state, we can properly play. However, many players have departed.

I am more than willing to put forth effort to maintain the integrity of this thread.

I have a better set of rules, it is a mix between the official rules and the original shardic rules:

Spoiler

1: The Main Idea: Players take turns suggesting rules or amendments to or the removal of existing rules, these are known as rule changes.

2: The Voting Clause: Upon a majority vote of more than three players, said amendments or removals are taken into effect.

3: The Winning Rule: The winning player shall be the first player that wins. When one player wins, all other players lose.

4: The Law of Turns: players may only propose rule changes on their turn. Turns are taken by join date. Only one rule change may be proposed per turn

5: The Immutability Act: rules may be labeled as “immutable,” these rules cannot be the target of rule changes (except for those to repeal immutability). Immutability may be granted or repealed as a rule change.

Just now, The Last Post said:

I have a better set of rules, it is a mix between the official rules and the original shardic rules:

Reveal hidden contents

1: The Main Idea: Players take turns suggesting rules or amendments to or the removal of existing rules, these are known as rule changes.

2: The Voting Clause: Upon a majority vote of more than three players, said amendments or removals are taken into effect.

3: The Winning Rule: The winning player shall be the first player that wins. When one player wins, all other players lose.

4: The Law of Turns: players may only propose rule changes on their turn. Turns are taken by join date. Only one rule change may be proposed per turn

5: The Immutability Act: rules may be labeled as “immutable,” these rules cannot be the target of rule changes (except for those to repeal immutability). Immutability may be granted or repealed as a rule change.

I prefer the original rules.

[ends inactivity to give pieces of insightful wisdom]

I think no matter which ruleset we choose, we will flounder in the opening stages. The old rule set also has the issues we discovered in the initial game - no way to deal with disagreements, rules are unclear about many things and doesn’t stand up to rules lawyering, quickly leads to chaos without turns.

I think the people here should endeavour to get out of the opening stages. This happens by proposing an actual game, which we can then start to modify.

Here’s an idea. Proposed proposal: the items rule.

- players can possess items which can either ‘grant’ a certain number of points (ie that number of points are gained when you get the item, and are lost when you lose the item, so having that number of points is tied to having that item), or grant abilities outlined when the items are created (like stealing points, stealing items, secret effects, etc - probably once per turn), or both
 - items can be in ‘sets’ such that having all members of the set gives you a reward
 - you can trade the item for either points or other items, as long as the terms are agreed upon by both players and the trade is confirmed by both players

And most importantly:

- when an item is created by the rules, the item is given at random to a player who has posted in the last 24 hours.

Now, we can start creating items, sets, abilities. We could make a Wandering Merchant role which has a special power over items. NPCs which dispense items which you can ‘purchase’. How does this sound? 

EDIT: whoever’s turn it is, you’ll need to propose this rule if you want it voted on.

Edited by MetaTerminal

This is continuing from where we left off from. We’ve got a structure here that I think we could benefit from (plus some fun silly rules that we would probably just waste time re-implementing). The only benefit to starting over would be attracting new players, but I think most people interested in playing have already joined.

I’ll check that the Nomic doc has all the rules correctly implemented tonight. Eggs I’ll also do my best to keep track.

Who’s turn is it?

Also, welcome to @Negative_Null and @Channelknight Fadran!

Edited by MetaTerminal

1 hour ago, Negative_Null said:

I still don't know what the current rules are. I get the premise and the base rules though

1 hour ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

I am here, no need to to skip my turn. I will be posting a few rules shortly. Also, can someone make a new doc? One we all can edit?

I’ll make a new doc and link it for Null, though for some reason I have editing perms for the old one now? Maybe xino changed it.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like this thread is dead. If anyone is looking for a live Nomic game, there is an Imperial Nomic game I am running just around the corner. Imperial Nomic doesn't have the voting mechanic of standard Nomic; instead, the Lord Ruler (me, for now) approves or rejects proposals. As such it is a lot faster and more centralized than standard Nomic.

If that sounds interesting to any of you, feel free to join here: