Nomic [Resurrected]

Gears

The return of Nomic from it's untimely grave and subsequent resurrection. The rules are as follows: https://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/nomic.htm#initial set New rules begin at the index 301. We will separate the game into "Dynasties". When a player wins, that Dynasty ends and a new Dynasty begins with all rules returning to the initial set [excluding a scant few that are too precious which will be decided between dynasties]

@The Second Post, @The_Truthwatcher, @xinoehp512, come forth from the aether and respond in the affirmative and we shall begin.

The game may not have begun yet, but may I propose an pre-game amendment to Rule 201?

The rule says "In mail and computer games, players shall alternate in alphabetical order by surname," but not all of us may be comfortable with revealing our real names. Given this, I propose that "albhabetical order by surname" be replaced with "numerical order by member number", something as equally immutable as a name. (Your member number is the number in the link to your profile).

Also, here is the rules doc.

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

The game may not have begun yet, but may I propose an pre-game amendment to Rule 201?

The rule says "In mail and computer games, players shall alternate in alphabetical order by surname," but not all of us may be comfortable with revealing our real names. Given this, I propose that "albhabetical order by surname" be replaced with "numerical order by member number", something as equally immutable as a name. (Your member number is the number in the link to your profile).

Also, here is the rules doc.

I find this perfectly amenable.

Just now, The Second Post said:

Okay cool let’s do this. When shall the game officially start?

Well, Truthwatcher expressed interest and is likely asleep, so I'd give it a few hours. How about in 3 hours [at 23:00 GMT]

44 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

So, mine would be 42968?

I propose that in some future dynasty, once we know how the games tend to go, we use the original 3 rules from the original 17th shard Nomic game, instead of the “official” rule set we will use most of the time. 

Spoiler

ORIGINAL RULES:

1. The Main Idea: Players take turns suggesting rules, or amendments to or the removal of existing rules.
  2. The Voting Clause: Upon a majority vote of more than three players, said amendments or removals are taken into effect. (Note: no rule is exempt from this rule, including this one, unless superseded by another rule.)
  3. The Winning Rule: The winning player shall be the first player that wins. When one player wins, all other players lose.

I think starting with these three rules might make the game a bit more chaotic and difficult, so not the best to start with, but I think having less restrictions will make it more fun to build from the ground up. 

1 minute ago, The Second Post said:

I think starting with these three rules might make the game a bit more chaotic and difficult, so not the best to start with, but I think having less restrictions will make it more fun to build from the ground up. 

Agreed. We will begin with structure, then let it go as we grow past it.

Just now, The Second Post said:

The Official ruleset talks about a judge, who is that going to be? Is it decided once the game starts? Should we have a judge at all?

See rule 212:

If players disagree about the legality of a move or the interpretation or application of a rule, then the player preceding the one moving is to be the Judge and decide the question. Disagreement for the purposes of this rule may be created by the insistence of any player. This process is called invoking Judgment.

However, this is a mutable rule, so we can always get rid of it.

Just now, The Last Post said:

Can’t we just start with the base 3 and a rule sbout the amount of necessary votes to repeal, add, or edit a rule?

The beauty of Nomic is that if you want, you can change the rules one by one to make them into the rules you want. I don't mind either way, so I'll leave it up to the general populace.

Lol it’s not actually 301 rules, it’s like 29. The way the rules are indexed makes them go 101-116, 201-213, 301- XXX. I am down for starting with just the OG 3, but I’ll probably propose some of the 29 Officials right at the start. 

Edited by The Second Post

Before we officially start start, I propose that we formally vote on which rule set to use as we didn’t come to a consensus on that. The options are:

The 29 rule Official Set

or The 3 rule Original Shard Set

I vote we use the 3 rule set. 

Just now, DramaQueen said:

Well, three rules sounds simpler, so that's my vote

In this game, fewer rules allows more chaos. At least with 29 rules, it will take less time for everything to fall apart. The 3 Rules don't even have a rule about following the rules!