Is it worth my time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 0:56 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Lets hear your arguments fellow Sharders.

I really enjoyed TWoKp. I went into it thinking that it would probably be about a 3-4 star book, but by the end I was thinking 5 stars, simply because of the excitement of seeing more Taln on-page. The ending is a semi-cliffhanger, but you can figure out what would have happened fairly easily. I would say that it is worth your time, and you might just become a Taln fanboy by the time you finish with it.

Edited by Nameless

On 7/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Lets hear your arguments fellow Sharders.

I also enjoyed it. I wanted to see what ends up happening to them afterwards. It was interesting to see the differences, and I enjoyed the story.

Having just finished it myself, I've got quite a few thoughts on it. The short version is that I don't regret reading it at all and this statement by Brandon largely eased my mind about the possibility of spoiling later SA content. There's some big stuff that looks like it might spoil back-half SA stuff but now it sounds like Brandon has shuffled enough things around that they're not really spoilers. That said, it's definitely something that could only have been released after Oathbringer.

The presence of so many Jasnah and Taln chapters are nice if you're really fans of those characters, even though the former isn't as well-developed as SA!Jasnah and the latter had the crux of his story moved to Dalinar. Still, it's nice getting into his head while he's far more lucid than what we saw of him in Words of Radiance. There's also a really interesting inversion in his arc, since material that was at the end of Way of Kings gets shifted to the front and vice versa and that changes the perceptions of his scenes.

There's also a lot of interesting moments where you can see how a concept from SA started in Prime and then got moved to a new character or simply developed more. There's also moments where concepts stayed with the original characters but were glossed over in SA but you can go 'Aha, this is what Brandon was drawing on!'. So it's a whole lot of fun if you're into that sort of thing.

As with his other available unpublished books, this one ends on a cliffhanger that's never going to be resolved (and things are different enough that we don't know how it 'should' have resolved) but some of the broad contours can be guessed at and the rest are interesting but ultimately irrelevant.

• 2 weeks later...