Hemalurgy Theoretical Moral Dilemma

danex

Who would you tell ?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you tell if you discovered Hemalurgy was real?

• Tell no one
    • Tell someone
    • Tell a lot of people
    • Tell everyone

4 hours ago, Karger said:

Also given what the book says the woman involved was a serial killer.  Maybe take the book to the police?

This was in Ye Olde Tymes; anyone involved is long dead by now.

Unless she learned to compound atrium, I suppose, but I don't know where you'd find that on Earth...

Edited by Necessary Eagle

17 minutes ago, Hoidolasium said:

Brandon steps out of The Hero of Ages and spikes the nearest person to you, using a spike made of Andonalsium's Investiture. Not even he knows what powers you have been granted.

Then I am getting said person to a hospital.

Is it possible to spike animals to give yourself attributes and if so, would that make you more animalistic?

If you could spike animals with the same effects as spiking humans, I would use for some minor upgrades to myself, from animals, and try to avoid letting the secret out.

Going on the premise provided, I would tell no one as I have no compunction to kill anyone. I happen to like my life with my home and lovely wife. Going on a killing spree to become faster, stronger, and smarter would only result in me losing the life I have and love. As I am the only one with the knowledge, then it would live and die with me. 

Now if I was not myself, then the risk would have to be balanced against the reward. If if was just some joe/jane schmo that got the knowledge, then in the modern world, he or she would get caught rather quickly. Increasing intelligence would help, but the mistakes made in the beginning could end the career before it began. If however the individual had already a level of intelligence, and lack of scruples, then considering hemalurgic spikes could be as large as a pin, and look like common piercings depending on how they are made, then I think quite a lot could be accomplished. Since the spikes steal attributes from individuals, then presumably the "smarter" or "stronger" the target is, the more oomph you would get out of your spike, so I could easily see it turning out much like a hunter, going for bigger and better "prey". First few spikes were from bums off the street. Then as intelligence and ability increase from the first few, more precise targets could be chosen, to then switch out the spikes. The increase in intelligence and capability could potentially keep the individual ahead of the law. This is one of the many reasons why to me hemalurgy is a very dangerous magic system. 

Hemalurgy may have positive applications, but (especially with neither of the other Metallic Arts) those are greatly outweighed by the potential for abuse. If it got out, we could be living in a world with tyrants spiking themselves with extra attributes, bands of marauding koloss, and who knows what else.