So this is completely a joke, but we know that Alcatraz Smedry has the power to break things. He breaks a lot of everything. We also know that Adonalsium was broken into sixteen pieces. Also, in the Reckonners, we see technology that can recreate people's powers.

So, by the laws of absurd logic, I believe that someone stole Alcatraz's power and made it into a weapon, gave the weapon to someone else, who then used it to shatter Adonalsium. Alcatraz then figured out what happened, and he went on a quest to fix it. He is who we know as Hoid. 

Edited by rosin_the_beau
Fixing

Oh my Adonalsium, you're absolutely right. I can't believe no one's thought of this before! I think you missed one crucial point, though, and that is that each shard must be a cytonic, seeing as it's the only way they could move between planets so quickly.

2 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

Obviously, Adonalsium is actually Stephen Leeds, each shard being an Aspect, after he was put into a Perfect State style VR

Uhhh how can we fit The Rithmatist into this theory? Aons are air chalklings...?

No, the Rithmatist is a far future version of Scadrial, after Hoid/Alcatraz fixes Adonalsium/Stephen Leeds. Investiture gets mixed up again, and Scadrial is swirled around until it looks like the Rithmatist's earth. The "Chaining of the Shadowblaze" (I believe is what it's called) is just a Nahel Bond, 'cause the investiture was blended like a big magic smoothie.