Are the leather bound editions worth the money

Well they are definitely cool. Worth it? Probably not. 
usually the only differences are the leather itself, some illustrations and maybe a deleted scene.

It really just depends on if your a hardcore collector or not.

i bought all of them(except Well of Ascension) because “they just looked so cool” and i love the Cosmere. 

well, 1 year later and im down $500 dollars, ive only opened two of the books and they just sit in my nightstand(i dont have a nice bookshelf for em)

it really just depends on what you want.
     If your into collecting and actually have someplace show it off/use it, then yeah its worth it. Or even if you dont show it off and its just of great value to you.
     But if you wont really have em on display or someplace they can be held/looked at/appreciated,then no, its not worth it

the allure can be tempting though. I barely talked myself out of spending $200 on WoK even though i know im gonna do absolutely nothing with it

Edited by Eternal Khol

Depends on you. 

I've bought all of them so far as they've come out and just pledged the kickstarter to get the way of king 2 volume set. 

They are beautiful, and I love them. But they aren't really reading copies of the books. I use my digital copies or the regular hardback/paperbacks for actual reading. 

Like others have said, it really depends on you.  The story is the same, but it's the presentation that really makes these things special.  I love them, they're incredible quality, and I do read them.  I don't really go anywhere crazy to read my books, since I'm usually home so there's no real risk of damaging them...I am also just really protective of all of my books haha.  The new art, the quality of the pages, and the physical presence really make reading these books a joy.  It just adds a new layer to the experience.  I bought the Mistborn trilogy a while ago, and I'm waiting for the Elantris reprint to come in the mail right now.  I also backed the Way of Kings kickstarter.  It's up to you, but if you have the means, and the desire to get them, I say go for it!  

Edited by Bondsmith30

Pros - if you put it somewhere it can be seen, visitors to your house (or people watching your youtube) might be impressed.

-If you keep it in good condition (and don't read it), you might be able to sell it for a lot more in a decade's time.

-It DOES have some pretty pictures.

Cons - you can't read it without being very careful, or you might damage it.  If I had one, I wouldn't want to read it without wearing gloves.

- You definitely can't read it in bed, in the bathtub, or lug it around in your backpack to read at lunchtime.

- You have to keep it in good condition for it to keep its value, and books are hard to keep in top condition: make sure there's no damp in the room, there's no direct sunlight to fade it (I wouldn't want one because there is no room in my house that is sunlight free and doesn't have condensation problems in winter).  Don't jam it up against any other books on your shelf, or the foil could rub off on them.

IMO it's a waste of money.  A LOT of money.

I mean, it all depends. As I've gone on, I actually do use my Leatherbounds as actual books, and passing my old copies of them to my younger brother. I've had my TFE leatherbound for a few years now, and it's taken travel in a box, and actual reading of it fairly well. I think they are definitely worth the money. I cannot speak for The Way of Kings leatherbound, as it's twice the price of previous leatherbound volumes. If you aren't going to use it as a book, I would say they aren't worth it, If you're ok with some slight wear on them and do plan to actively read them, then yes. They are some of the nicest quality books you could have.

• 1 month later...

If you are a huge Cosmere fan and $100/book isn't a big deal then sure. They are cool editions, the artwork is nice, and the extra text/introductions are fun to read.

However, if you are more of a fine book collector and perhaps a casual Sanderson fan, be aware; they are bonded leather(which can be as little as 10-20% real leather) and as a result the covers are hard and not particularly luxurious, the embossing (especially on Elantris) is very very shallow and flakes off easily, the ribbon frays at the bottom and I ended up having to cut off the end and seal with a lighter, the binding, (though I believe it is Smyth sewn) is extremely tight so the books don't lay flat easily. 

Just be aware, if you have $10k in Easton Press and Folio Society books on your shelf, the quality here is not up to that standard. Even the standard of $100 EP and FS books, let alone the pricier ones. 

That being said, I bought and enjoyed them and will continue to do so.

2 hours ago, guy_rando said:

If you are a huge Cosmere fan and $100/book isn't a big deal then sure. They are cool editions, the artwork is nice, and the extra text/introductions are fun to read.

However, if you are more of a fine book collector and perhaps a casual Sanderson fan, be aware; they are bonded leather(which can be as little as 10-20% real leather) and as a result the covers are hard and not particularly luxurious, the embossing (especially on Elantris) is very very shallow and flakes off easily, the ribbon frays at the bottom and I ended up having to cut off the end and seal with a lighter, the binding, (though I believe it is Smyth sewn) is extremely tight so the books don't lay flat easily. 

Just be aware, if you have $10k in Easton Press and Folio Society books on your shelf, the quality here is not up to that standard. Even the standard of $100 EP and FS books, let alone the pricier ones. 

That being said, I bought and enjoyed them and will continue to do so.

Welcome to the Shard!

By the way, the Way of Kings leatherbound will have genuine leather this print run. It was an unlocked stretch goal. 

• 5 weeks later...

For me personally I use and enjoy my leatherbounds. I like to think of the leatherbounds as a luxury or pleasure purchase. My rule of thumb is for any luxury or pleasure purchase to wait on it for a week or two to see if this isn't an implies buy or whatnot. Then I think if I shell out $100+ will I regret it? Will I look at my purchase and think of what else I could've gotten? If the answer is no and you still want it, get it!!!!! Or you can ask for your birthday or the holidays, if you do anything for that. I always have my parents and in laws ask everyone specifically what they want, and this would be something I would put on a short list with cheaper things on it and maybe a leatherbound book. 

But yeah, WOK leatherbound, if you got if off Kickstarter, is genuine leather. The rest do have leather, I believe it's just not 100% leather, I believe.

Either way, that's my two cents.