The Iconar Collective (OUTDATED)

A perfectly normal question  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should I post the first chapter from my new draft?

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I fell like that will be me, whenever I get to that.

I have started outlining though.

Good for you! I'll read whatever it is you write.

Also, a PSA for everyone regarding my book:

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 1.16.04 PM.png

Edit: I'll go back and fix that eventually.

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

3 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

@Danex you wouldn't believe how much I miss you peer-editing these things.

Ill start doing them again, trust me. It’s just hard to do long messages like that on mobile. Once I have a reliable way to use the shard on a computer I’ll review em all. I’d be happy to offer short insights if there’s something specific you want input on though.

5 minutes ago, Danex said:

Ill start doing them again, trust me. It’s just hard to do long messages like that on mobile. Once I have a reliable way to use the shard on a computer I’ll review em all. I’d be happy to offer short insights if there’s something specific you want input on though.

Thanks a bunch!

I love this! The world is so interesting. It feels like a lot of typical tropes blended into something new and much better. So far I’m not super hooked on Corrin, but Lacy and Aurora and their plot is really interesting. I’m excited to see where it goes. 

A few thoughts:

• Your lore drops are done so well. You make me really excited to learn more about the world. I’m especially interested in the relationship between the fey, demons, and humans.
  • You wrote Lacy being tired really well. I can really put myself in her state of mind there. I feel like there’s something more to this than meets the eye.
  • I like the idea of the d&d style class system, but it leaves me wondering how it works in a larger army, not just smaller units. However, whenever a character uses the word “fighter” it pulls me out of the story a little. It just feels kind of weird to me that it’s an official classification in an army.
  • It’s a little strange to me that Charles picked out Lacy and Aurora to bully so quickly. Are they the only commoners here? It just felt like non-nobility were common in the magic school, and that Charles picks on the two so specifically. Just something I feel like I would want more explanation on.
  • What going on with Dain? I love this mystery. It hooked me immediately.
  • On 7/28/2020 at 2:57 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

I wanted to develop the fact that they only really had each other to rely on. I also want to build up a "life is easy" thing for the two of them by having a bunch of helpful people so I can BRUTALLY SHATTER THAT later on with a massive plot twist that I dare not mention here.

Hype! 

2 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

I love this! The world is so interesting. It feels like a lot of typical tropes blended into something new and much better. So far I’m not super hooked on Corrin, but Lacy and Aurora and their plot is really interesting. I’m excited to see where it goes.

So you're like me, then (Corrin is secondary; Aurora queen over all).

Your lore drops are done so well. You make me really excited to learn more about the world. I’m especially interested in the relationship between the fey, demons, and humans

I'm glad you like them! I was worried that they were a little too forced sometimes. (Also, fey/demon/human relationships are going to get a lot more complicated...)

• You wrote Lacy being tired really well. I can really put myself in her state of mind there. I feel like there’s something more to this than meets the eye

Thanks! That was one of the more difficult chapters to write... not because I can't write tired people, but rather because I was exhausted when I was writing it.

• I like the idea of the d&d style class system, but it leaves me wondering how it works in a larger army, not just smaller units. However, whenever a character uses the word “fighter” it pulls me out of the story a little. It just feels kind of weird to me that it’s an official classification in an army.

I could probably go back and change that. It's not my favorite term either.

• It’s a little strange to me that Charles picked out Lacy and Aurora to bully so quickly. Are they the only commoners here? It just felt like non-nobility were common in the magic school, and that Charles picks on the two so specifically. Just something I feel like I would want more explanation on.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• What going on with Dain? I love this mystery. It hooked me immediately.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:!!!

• Hype! 

It'll be less hype when you read it eventually.

I just finished reading the first nine chapters-Amazing! They were so interesting. You worldbuilding is awesome and I love your characters. Especially Dain. He acts tough and disciplined, which keeps the squad in check, but he is also kind and helpful. I like how you introduced Aurora and Lacy’s age. Instead of just stating it you brought it into the story by saying:  
‘Aurora looked up at the person standing at the door. Minshyl was probably a year younger than Aurora—thirteen, perhaps; around Lacy’s age’. Your plot line is good so far and all the characters have deep personalities. Wow. This is great. You could easily publish this. 

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

1 minute ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

I like how you introduced Aurora and Lacy’s age. Instead of just stating it you brought it into the story by saying:  

Agreed here. I know I always have a somewhat difficult time introducing things like that in a not awkward way, and only partially succeed.

Dain is my favorite as well, by the way. 

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

You got me to laugh. Have an upvote.

So I don't know what this means :P 

15 minutes ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

I just finished reading the first nine chapters-Amazing! They were so interesting. You worldbuilding is awesome and I love your characters. Especially Dain. He acts tough and disciplined, which keeps the squad in check, but he is also kind and helpful. I like how you introduced Aurora and Lacy’s age. Instead of just stating it you brought it into the story by saying:  
‘Aurora looked up at the person standing at the door. Minshyl was probably a year younger than Aurora—thirteen, perhaps; around Lacy’s age’. Your plot line is good so far and all the characters have deep personalities. Wow. This is great. You could easily publish this. 

Thanks a bunch! I've always hated introducing a characters age by telling it (though I kind of did that for Corrin...), probably because I tended to start my first stories by physically describing the main character (like an idiot).

12 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Agreed here. I know I always have a somewhat difficult time introducing things like that in a not awkward way, and only partially succeed.

Dain is my favorite as well, by the way. 

So I don't know what this means :P 

I mean that you just yelled "Dain" and it made me laugh, so I upvoted the post.

On 8/22/2020 at 4:43 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:
  Hide contents

Garnell laughed. “Ah, Corrin. Rule-abiding as always. We already found their camp, and we already have a strategy.”

He looked up, shocked. “What? But the rules—”

“Are less rules, and more of guidelines.” Dain interrupted. 

Which reminded me of this:

Spoiler

Iconar Collective Memes! 
25936C56-E7DB-47CB-AEBA-3662D8C79FB7.jpeg.f761ec2423871ad1b32a3c17a3979248.jpeg

Corrin clapped his hands together. “Alright. What are we waiting for then?”

In the distance, a bell rang.

Dain thumbed back at Camp Thunder. “That. Let’s get cracking, boys.”

Lol

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

On 7/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

As they left, she could hear the strange merchant laughing quietly to himself.

“What do you say, Icona? Channelgirl or no?”

Is this a Fadran I smell?