Oltux72

Whoever produced it must have the technology for canning. That leaves:

• South Scadrial
  • North Scadrial
  • Threnody
  • The Dark Side of Taldain
  • Silverlight

And five possible candidates:

• Nalthis (during Warbreaker they lacked the technology - but that is quite some time in the past)
  • The Light Side of Taldain
  • Elantris
  • Vax
  • the Aether planet

That i almost the whole known Cosmere. Yet they must have an open perpendicularity. That reduces the field to:

• South Scadrial
  • Nalthis
  • Elantris
  • Vax
  • the Aether planet

So who delivered it? I would tentatively suggest South Scadrial or Nalthis, with Nalthis being likelier.

Shadesmar has a lot of different kinds of people traveling through it.  I personally think scadrial since they were the first to have both it and shadesmar access but it is hard to say.  Tracking simple tech is pretty hard.

Isn't the timeline for Stormlight 1-5 after the Catacendre on Scadrial (Mistborn Era 1)? And that is the only example of canned food we've definitely seen in the Cosmere, as it's officially canon that Rashek personally filled all those storage caverns with canned food by tapping his infinite steelminds and bronzeminds as a hobby when not busy brutalizing skaa or presiding over Ministry squabbles (at least, it's now my head-canon).

As to the availability of a Perpendicularity to Scadrial after the Catacendre, there must be one, as Hoid shows up to mess with Wax and Wayne in Era 2, and one of the broadsheet articles suggests it's some kind of blue pool.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

So who delivered it? I would tentatively suggest South Scadrial or Nalthis, with Nalthis being likelier.

I was typing this up when @robardin replied, but I agree Scadrial is by far the most likely source, and like he mentions, Stormlight Arc 1 takes place post Catacendre and pre Alloy of Law era, so it most likely was a fish that didn't choke on a bunch of ash too. Prior to Kelsier's destruction of the Pits of Hathsin, canned goods were Scadrial's primary planetary export.

Oversleep

What is Scadrial's primary intergalactic export?

Ravi

Okay so, this is what I got from Brandon.

Prior to Kelsier exploding the Pits, Scadrial's canned goods were one of the main things exported to the intergalactic market from the planet.

NB: This is something that Brandon can change at any time if the story calls for it.

Footnote: This was formerly a private WoB that Ravi was given permission by Peter to share.
General Reddit 2017 (Nov. 29, 2017)

4 minutes ago, robardin said:

Isn't the timeline for Stormlight 1-5 after the Catacendre on Scadrial (Mistborn Era 1)? And that is the only example of canned food we've definitely seen in the Cosmere, as it's officially canon that Rashek personally filled all those storage caverns with canned food by tapping his infinite steelminds and bronzeminds as a hobby when not busy brutalizing skaa or presiding over Ministry squabbles (at least, it's now my head-canon).

As to the availability of a Perpendicularity to Scadrial after the Catacendre, there must be one, as Hoid shows up to mess with Wax and Wayne in Era 2, and one of the broadsheet articles suggests it's some kind of blue pool.

Every time someone brings up Scadrial's canned food supply I remember the Great Atium Conspiracy; that TLR lined the inside of some/most/all (depends) of the outgoing (offworld) cans with Atium to ensure that basically no other being from Scadrial could get their hands on it for any purpose. What he intended to do with that Atium afterwards, no idea. But it's worth a fortune on Scadrial now, in era 2, so if someone retrieved the stuff...

(if people are curious, I can search r/cosmere for the original conspiracy theory post, and link it here.)

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Shadesmar has a lot of different kinds of people traveling through it.  I personally think scadrial since they were the first to have both it and shadesmar access but it is hard to say.  Tracking simple tech is pretty hard.

How many? The question is important as Harmony's perpendicularity is located in a remote, hard to access area. Northern use of that perpendicularity requires a conspiracy in any case. If somebody ran multiple stage coaches with cans south per month and operated mule trains in remote mountains, how would they keep it secret? And this would be costly. What are they importing to set of the costs?

7 hours ago, robardin said:

Yes. The question is not one of possibility. The problem is secrecy. Scadrial has a free press and noble house competing against each other to the point of having household troops. How does one or a few houses keep such a secret for decades?

On Nalthis, however, you have a centralised priesthood and a theocracy in Hallandren (presumably still - how large is the time gap between Warbreaker and Stormlight Archive?)..
May there be a perpendicularity on Southern Scadrial?

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

May there be a perpendicularity on Southern Scadrial?

Is few evidences for that.

1. Ettmetal. This is Harmonium, Sazedum, you name it, Godmetal of Harmony. We know that on Scadrial earlier Godmetals apear only close to the maching Shardpool, what was maching Perpedicularity. Ettmetal is unknown to Northen Scadrians, but is literaly base technology fo Southerns.

2. Yiatil is descendent of Southern Scadrians. This mean, population of them lives in Silverlight. They have to go there somehow, but before Catacendre they dont have possibility - both Shardpools were in the North. So only other possibility is they have Shardpool in the South. Or they can do some wierd staff with Nicrosil, Aluminum and Duralumin.

But we know that one Shard can have more than one Shardpool: WoB

And it fits Harmony very well to have TWO Shardpools, one in North and one in South. We can speculate that second Harmonium Shardpool can be somewhere in the Roughs.

Edited by Bzhydack

19 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:
Well, there you go.

Wow. I had never heard of or read that theory - and it does tick a lot of things tidily...!

As to what atium would be worth on Scadrial after the Final Empire, that is an interesting question. Since there are no more Seer Mistings being generated now that Harmony restored chromium to the Allomantic Table (right?), and of course there hasn't been a natural born Mistborn since Spook, the only person alive to burn it would be Marsh, or someone like Hoid from off-world who is now confirmed to be a Mistborn thanks to that lerasium nugget he snagged.

It'd be something of great interest for academic reasons, especially if someone realized its flexibility in hemalurgy.

18 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

How many? The question is important as Harmony's perpendicularity is located in a remote, hard to access area. Northern use of that perpendicularity requires a conspiracy in any case. If somebody ran multiple stage coaches with cans south per month and operated mule trains in remote mountains, how would they keep it secret? And this would be costly. What are they importing to set of the costs?

We don't know about the southern one and I imagine people do notice.  Just not enough to be a big deal yet.  They may be importing a lot of things.  Breath, ideas, news, skilled laborers, works of art, or war materials like gold that are less valuable in pre industrial societies with a smaller population.

Edited by Karger