Influences on non-Stormlight books

Ironeyes

Spoilers for everything, or at least every Cosmere book that comes to mind as I write this. 

As far as I know, The Way of Kings Prime predates every Cosmere book except Elantris. As I've been reading it, lots of character arcs and occasional plot points have struck me as being the inspiration for similar bits in books outside of Roshar, especially Warbreaker and Mistborn

Starting from the most obvious, the name of Awakening and its association with sound (the Tones) were moved over to Warbreaker, while the rest of it was developed into soulcasting. 

Meren's sudden propulsion to the high nobility obviously bears some similarity to Kaladin during Words of Radiance, but his arc in Part 1 is much more like Vin's training to be a noblewoman in the first part of The Final Empire

Speaking of Vin, the politics from Shinri's and Jasnah's chapters are quite a lot like the ball politics in The Final Empire, which makes a lot of sense since that was the next thing Brandon wrote after The Way of Kings Prime

Shinri reminds me strongly of Siri in the first half of Warbreaker, especially with the unexpected marriage to the king at the start of Part 2. Granted, Ahven is opposite from Susebron in nearly every way, right down to being deaf instead of mute. Her shenanigans in Part 1, trying to figure out how her first betrothed died, are similar to Sarene in Elantris, although that one obviously came first. All three of these women have similar names, and I'm becoming convinced that the entirety of the Cosmere is an elaborate plan to make people like me look insane in front of our friends for perpetually mixing up characters with too-similar names. 

Taln seems to be a proto-Kelsier. His speech patterns, fighting style, and method of conniving read very much like Kelsier, and his co-opting of Meridas's troops in Part 2 is reminiscent of Kell's famous double motives with the rebellion in The Final Empire.  I found this very off-putting at the start, since I was expecting someone a lot more stoic. But, to be fair, a noticeable majority of Brandon's early characters are on the "witty rogue" side of things.

Ahven's conniving in the face of a siege is similar to the political A-plot of The Well of Ascension

Lhan, the monk, is almost an amalgamation of Lightsong and Llarimar. He is ostensibly and vocally lazy, but surprisingly effective and completely unwilling to see himself for who he is. Intara also falls into Lightsong's archetype, in a different way. He's a man who feels he doesn't deserve his station, but ends up doing many good things for other people by accident. 

16 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

All three of these women have similar names, and I'm becoming convinced that the entirety of the Cosmere is an elaborate plan to make people like me look insane in front of our friends for perpetually mixing up characters with too-similar names. 

Perhaps he was inspired by Wheel of Time lol

16 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

Lhan, the monk, is almost an amalgamation of Lightsong and Llarimar. He is ostensibly and vocally lazy, but surprisingly effective and completely unwilling to see himself for who he is.

Ah, that's why he felt familiar! I kept feeling that he seemed like another Sanderson character but couldn't remember which one.

10 hours ago, Gderu said:

Aneazer, the lord of Riemar, reminded me of Cett. I'm only up to part two so far, but their mannerisms seem very alike.

Now that you mention it, I can totally see that. They have the same pragmatic outlook and intentionally shocking honesty.