Why Radiants are incredibly overpowered, and Mistborn aren't.

Frustration

Nicrosil Feruchemy is weird and our knowledge about it is clearly lacking. On one hand we have references and WoB that it stores the ability to use magic in discreet units. On the other we have Wax's reference in BoM that it was a resource that got used up and could simply be increased via Compounding

Aluminum completely changes things so I wouldn't consider it. It would give Mistborn and the Keepers a huge advantage but in my opinion it would be of little use for the Radiant. Keepers vs Radiant always depends on the order of the Radiant. Those who fly or have ranged attacks would have an advantage if they keep the distance. And in my opinion in this case the consumption of resources benefits the Radiant. Sazed killed hundreds of Koloss during the siege of Luthadel by consuming resources accumulated for years. It would take a Keeper specialized in the war and properly equipped to put many Radiant orders in difficulty.

8 hours ago, Gisaku75 said:

Aluminum completely changes things so I wouldn't consider it. It would give Mistborn and the Keepers a huge advantage but in my opinion it would be of little use for the Radiant. Keepers vs Radiant always depends on the order of the Radiant. Those who fly or have ranged attacks would have an advantage if they keep the distance. And in my opinion in this case the consumption of resources benefits the Radiant. Sazed killed hundreds of Koloss during the siege of Luthadel by consuming resources accumulated for years. It would take a Keeper specialized in the war and properly equipped to put many Radiant orders in difficulty.

I'm thinking of an aluminum mind.

1 hour ago, Enter a username said:

If we give ANYONE aluminum, they'd win easily.

Not really.

22 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

Why not? Aluminum blocks all Investiture, including Shardblades. Some orders would be able to stay away for a while (surge of gravitation, for example), but they would eventually run out of Stormlight. 

Because while it is an almost unbreakable sheild, so is a Spren, but it comes with less benefits, so if you just run behind them, then they die, Puch through it, they die, so on and so forth.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Because while it is an almost unbreakable sheild, so is a Spren, but it comes with less benefits, so if you just run behind them, then they die, Punch through it, they die, so on and so forth.

Run behind them: I'm pretty sure they'd notice.

Punch through it: how?

52 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

There are alloys that are stronger while still retaining its inertness to Investiture (the aluminium bullets from Alloy of Law). If you were to make a shield or something out of one of those alloys, you'd be pretty much invincible.

Plate or pewter could break it.

1 hour ago, Enter a username said:

There are alloys that are stronger while still retaining its inertness to Investiture (the aluminium bullets from Alloy of Law). If you were to make a shield or something out of one of those alloys, you'd be pretty much invincible.

Or you could lash a rock at it at very high speeds and just kill someone with impact damage, or soulcast oil above them and burn them to death or use division to create lightning or sneak attack to get behind the shield with a Lightweaving, or abrasion the ground so that they can't hold the shield up, or use a number of other tactics.  A Al shield is actually a pretty useful equalizer especially if accompanied with armor and insulated padding but if you let one guy have specialized weaponry then the other one gets it too and I don't think you really do anything beyond making the fights more about brute force and less about magic and tactics.  In a brute force match up radiants with plate still win.

• 5 months later...

I had to create a freaking account because I just wanted to say... WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT I've seen some of you say "a mistborn only needs to get a dagger on the eyelid and the radiant is done" we've freaking seen them shrug off arrows and heavy arrows from shardbows so a mistborn WOULD NOT be able to kill off a radiant just like that and...

Edited by Aon-CHRISTMAS-Ene
spoilers

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 2:24 AM, Darkfinder said:

Mistborn are more stealthy and can move around to avoid enemies attacks. 

Though on average in a one on one fight a radiant will probably win unless the mist born has atium as that provides them with a massive advantage compared to radiants. 

I mean that has nothing to do with their powers though, that’s just the mindset of most mistborn nothing about their powers makes them inherently more stealthy then radiants, lashings don’t make sound, light weavers are more stealthy in every regard presumably the same for truthwatchers

On 7/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, Frustration said:

So we have two dudes that single handedly have killed armies, one of which has killed multiple shardbearers at once, and the guy that beat him, and your saying that they can't change what they're going to do in a fraction of a second?

@Use the Falchion I'm specifically doing users of One magic system, Fullborn have two and so don't count. Also in WoK Jashna does soulcast at a distance.

Yeah Um I think you may be overestimating mistborn, the stuff kaladin and szeth have been seen doing is like vin on crack 99% of the time, kaladin at 2nd ideal fought an entire army and Szeth literally ripped through an army of fused like it was Tuesday 

kaladin fought amaram plus plate 2 blades, 12 or so fused which also have battle experience of around 7000 years or so making them more dangerous then people like even denth and zahel in terms of skill and an unmade at the same time and almsot won alone while distracted by having to help dalinar

kaladin and since szeth is about the same level szeth are the two single best melee combatants we have witnessed fight in the entire cosmere hands down. On top of having arguably the best magic system hands down.

mistborn will lose like 90/100

even vin probably couldn’t beat some of the more dangerous radiants especially with some newer healing feats.

additionally brining atium is not the instant win people aren’t o think it is, you half to have the skill to make use of the information for example let’s say you gave a random guy a knife put him up against a well trained martial artist or soldier with a knife, you may very well not manage to kill them even with atium, you may simply not have the skill to land the blow, it’s a huge advantage but when you consider the still have to land a blow realistically at range in a slit just wide enough to fit the blade that means any deviation of the radiants head, like the radiant flinches and you would likely miss so that shot is insanely hard to make and even if you do storm light healing kicks in and then you dead, because that shard blade is coming through your body or they gonna punch you and your bones will shatter burning pewter yeah you can probably keep going at severely hampered combat effectiveness and you will likely die of your wounds when the fight is over seeing as you are pushing an already broken Body. 

also I love vin but I think people overestimate her, the most impressive feats seen of her with no mists are rampaging through cetts men and her rampaging through the koloss 

the Zane fight

vs inquisitors included the most I belive

vs Lord ruler had mists 

vs Shan elerial she was fighting some relatively random mistborn.

You know what her fights vs the koloss and cetts men compare to a normal dude in shardplate

her arguably most impressive fights are similar in terms of like feat scaling to dalinar or adolin in full plate and with a blade. Granted these people are insanely skilled shardbearers and im certain vin would beat them but the feats are comparable. In fact dalinar and adolins feats are considerably more impressive in my estimation when you consider the fact that Scadrial soldiers have so much less battle experience than ones on roshar, dalinar is fighting people who know how to beat him, are incredibly experienced and in some cases straight up better then humans, vin fought koloss which does beat out dalinar and adolin but not by a ton.

the point of this vin is good and is the very very best mistborn. 
But roshar operates on a different power level entirely from mistborn kaladin and like 20 troops but mostly kaladin held an entire army of probably like 10,000 parshendi off, and I think it should be pointed out it is significantly harder to hold that position then cut through on army, because the enemy has the momentum. This was when he was bad with his powers. On top of this fought two top class shardbearers at once, as second ideal. Szeth fought kaladin to a standstill and so should be considered of the same level, looking at feats alone kaladin and szeth who are the very very best rediants I’d bet on against vin in most fights even without plate, because I really don’t think enough people consider this you can just turn shardblades into shields

Edited by Valigus

On 7/9/2020 at 1:15 AM, Frustration said:

So I often come across topics that involve fights between Brandon's magic users and one of the most often talking points is how overpowered Mistborn are. I however have a hard time seeing that especially from the perspective that Stormlight Archive has given me. So I'm going to give a run down on how the two compare, and later an all out comparison from all magic systems.

1. Attack

Radiant- Shardblade, enhanced with Plate (Division, Gravitation, Transformation buffs when applicable)

Mistborn-Pewter, Steel, Dur-aluminum

In the offensive category the Radiant takes a huge advantage over their Mistborn counterparts, as most if not all of their attacks are one shot kills, on any non-Radiant, while A Mistborn's best is deadly it just isn't on the same level, Dur-aluminum can get it there but that make it a one time use.

2. Defence

Radiant- Shardplate, Shardblade, (Illusion, Tension buffs, when applicable)

Mistborn- Pewter, Steel

While a Radiant can shrug off basically anything a Mistborn is basically a glass cannon, and can only take so much punishment

3. Healing

Radiant- Stormlight, (Progression buffs, when applicable) 

Mistborn- Pewter

While A Radiant can basically live through anything as long as they have stormlight, a Mistborn only has a boosted recovery and no regeneration.

4.  Sensory 

Radiant- Spren, Stormlight, (Potential Tension/Cohesion buff when applicable)

Mistborn- Tin, Bendalloy, Bronze

Mistborn Actually wins this one being able to get more think time, and greater sensory input as well as an investiture detection.

All in all While a good build Mistborn just simply aren't up to the level of punishment a Radiant can dish out, and can't do enough damage of their own to be an effective match up.

Now I will look at all of the Major investiture users in the Cosmere, this will only count users of ONE magic system. Additionally fabrials and medallions will not be counted.(This is assuming all builds are at their peak that could reasonably be achieved (Radiant with Stormlight, Mistborn with Metals, Feruchemist with stores etc)

1. Radiant has the highest base damage defence and Healing
  2. Feruchemist a useful power but with diminishing returns not the most impressive of magic.
  3. Hemalurgists can basically become Fullborn, but at the cost of a huge vulnerability, that being that Allomancers and Harmony could seize control of them. I find this flaw too big for this magic system to be of real consideration.
  4. Allomancers, relatively balanced but with almost no heal options and only two decent forms of attack.
  5. Elantrian, Powerful and well rounded, the only drawback is that the power is regionalized and thus not a big power.
  6. Voidbinder- ???
  7. SandMaster, Has a high powered attack but lacks the healing and defence needed to really compete with the big players.
  8. Awakener, almost useless in battle they could prepare something nasty but in a one to one battle, almost useless
  9. Dakhor, Alright not really noteworthy in any regard, also regionalized.

Your forgetting twinborn and fullborn